WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC

Added by Caveman1
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC

Views: 2,786 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC   Working on the "Toes" at Old Carter Gap Shelter  Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC  Sunset - Standing Indian Mt., NC

Description for Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC

Description by Caveman1

Caveman1

3/9/07

Comments for Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC (4)

1. #1 Hikerhead
    Re: Morning - Standing Indian Mt., NC
    Excellent picture!

I'm curious, does the AT run across any of the ridges in the background. Or maybe that steep slope just behind you, could that be part of the climb out of GA?????
  2. #2 Caveman1
    Actually, the AT travels over my left shoulder down the ridge just barely visible in the photo. Southwest is over my right shoulder which means the AT turns west at this point before turning back south. We didn't get to go that far as life's responsibilities (kid in college) sent us back to work. But, according to the maps, the AT comes into NC from the direction to my right. We were southbound on a week trip and got within approx. 1/2 mile from the Georgia border on Little Ridgpole Mountain (which would also be to my right).

Thanks for your comment and hope you get to spend some time in this marvelous area.

Caveman & Toes
  3. #3 Hikerhead
    I've been there but I didn't have quite as nice a day like you did. So the big mtn 2 ridgelines above your head is the highpoint heading north from BLy Gap, then the two steep sections to the left of that are the two go-to-heck climbs out of Bly Gap. I'll never forget those as I went down them and then climbed right back up. First trip was with Kerosene as we did all of GA. My last day was a 18 miler to BLy Gap and back to Dicks Creek. My next trip was solo from Beach Gap to BLy Gap and back to Standing Indian campground. My third trip was from Beech gap to the NOC. So, I'm getting there but in bits and pieces.
  4. #4 Caveman1
    You got it. It's a mother anyway you come. We climbed about 3.7 miles southbound. Ran into 2 young ladies from Charleston, SC who came in from the Standing Indian campground up the Lower Ridge Trail. Approx. 5.5 that way. All they could say at the top was "sh**".

Seems like every section in this part is uphill.

Also ran into Socrates. He said the climb into NC was pretty intense and he is a young man. Check him out at trailjounals.com

Thanks again for your kind words.

Caveman