WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Wawaynada Hilton,NJ

Added by r_m_anderson
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

Wawaynada Hilton,NJ

Views: 4,496 [+] Larger Image  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Wildcat Shelter,NY   Wawayanda Privy  Wawaynada Hilton,NJ  west mountain shelter ny

Description for Wawaynada Hilton,NJ

Description by r_m_anderson

r_m_anderson

Nice picnic table,steel bear box and privy.

Comments for Wawaynada Hilton,NJ (3)

1. #1 Kerosene
    What makes this a "Hilton"?

I think I recall that this shelter lacks water, and that the water pump a few miles away by the road was contaminated. I've heard the the forest service and/or trail angels would leave water by the road, but does this happen all year round? I need to complete the 19 miles between Unionville and Vernon and will probably stay at this shelter.
  2. #2 r_m_anderson
    that's what is printed on the plaque on the
    upper left hand corner of the shelter.
    I think it's just humor.
  3. #3 r_m_anderson
    btw... the water is less then half mile away at the park ranger station, clean tap water. I think there is a telephone as well.
  4. #4 Alligator
    The water is at the park office, an easy, flat, 7 minute walk. (Actually a spigot on what looks like a service building.) There is a payphone there also. Stayed there 7/16/04. It is close enough that a park ranger came by to say hi during supper. In the process of digging a new privy. At least one flat spot behind the shelter, maybe more. Somewhat small, as were many of the Jersey shelters.
  5. #5 Kerosene
    I stopped by this shelter at the end of my High Point to Warwich Tpk. section hike at the end of June. As r_m_anderson and Alligator note, the Park HQ is nearby and very easy to get to. The mosquitos were atrocious though. Someone had even left a few of those citronella candles in the shelter.