WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Near The Willey House,nh

Added by k-n
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »
Views: 2,830 [+] Larger Image  
by k-n

Filmstrip 
‹‹Mt. Washington-rime Ice On Lashes 03-11-08   Mt. Washington Tower 03 10 08  Near The Willey House,nh  Garfield Pond, Nh

Description for Near The Willey House,nh

Description

N/A

Comments for Near The Willey House,nh (4)

1. #1 Gray Blazer
    Re: Near The Willey House,nh
    Hey, those are my people, seriously. My last name is Willey.
  2. #2 Cosmo Rules
    Wow! Wealy?
  3. #3 Kerosene
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer
    Hey, those are my people, seriously. My last name is Willey.
    You must be a cousin, as this family was wiped out by a landslide.

If I recall correctly: In the middle of a spring night in the early 1800's, the Willey family heard repeated evidence of landslides in the notch due to the torrential rains they were getting. They left their house and made a run for a nearby cave(?) when a landslide hit and killed everyone. Ironically, the house was untouched as a large rock uphill from the house diverted the landslide to both sides of the house. The story made worldwide headlines and triggered debates around God's intentions for Man.

There's a small museum located on the site, perhaps a mile north of the AT crossing in Crawford Notch. You can see the museum far below from the Webster Cliffs as the AT makes its way to Mizpah Hut.
  4. #4 Gray Blazer
    Yeah, definately not a direct descendant. Kerosene, your facts are correct. The small "cave" was made from an overturned wagon. A couple of the kids were never found (could be the origin of "getting the willeys"). Neo has a good pic of Mt. willey in his WB gallery. Kerosine, you have a pic of the northwestern slope of Mt Willey in your Crawford Notch pic. Mt Willey is a good allday day hike. Strenuous with good views of the Presidentials and Mt Washington. Goes right up behind the Willey House and intersects the AT.