WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers

Added by Tipi Walter
« Previous Image   |   Next Image »

The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers

Views: 2,351  

Filmstrip 
‹‹Florida Duo Saved!   One Of The "rescued" At A Blowdown  The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers  Baylor School Backpacking Crew

Description for The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers

Description by Tipi Walter

Tipi Walter

Trip 102/Oct 2009. The 14 Florida backpackers take off down the Naked Ground trail but two hang back and want to go home on a new trail, the Hangover Lead down to Big Fat Gap. They get lost and return to Naked Ground torn up, wet and cold and beg me to take them out. I tell them to sit tight, set up their tents, warm up, and we'll head out in the morning. Here they are being led down the South Lead trail.

Comments for The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers (2)

1. #1 LoneRidgeRunner
    Re: The "rescue" Of Two Florida Backpackers
    OMG! How do you get lost on the Hangover lead trail to Big Fat Gap? Stevie Wonder could follow the Hangover Lead south to Big Fat Gap. All you gotta do is follow that narrow ridge line. Even if the trail is snowed under. When you get to Big Fat Gap you're at the parking area. I realize though that the mountains of western NC and especially the Joyce Kilmer Slickrock wilderness is a whole different animal to Floridians. Maybe it's cause I live so close.
  2. #2 Tipi Walter
    Re: The
    Well, the printed maps are wrong and show the old rugged trail falling off from the Hangover rocks and not the switchbacked trail as it leaves Saddle Tree Gap. Not far down, the Hangover Lead trail hits a jct and they went straight to the "table rock" overlook. They missed the right turn in a ditch and down to the Gap.