WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Lightbulb Section Hike Question (NY/CT/MA)

Hi everybody!

I've hiked VT, MA, & CT on the AT, in their entirety, as well as half of NH, & half of NY. I've also hiked the entire Long Trail, & the original MMM Trail (half of which is now the NET) three times in it's entirety (which is scary because there are old sections in the middle of MA that are almost completely impassable). Enough pleasantries, though. I have some real questions about Massachusetts, & Connecticut.

I'm planning a section hike that would either start at the Metro AT stop in Pawling, New York, & end at Mount Greylock in North Adams (Northbound), or the opposite (Southbound). My concerns lean heavily on mail drops (as well as elevation gains).

I understand that this could take between 2-3 weeks, & don't want to carry excessive amounts of food.

Which would you anticipate as the easier option? Starting in Massachusetts, & hiking south in the direction of Pawling at an elevation gain that slants downward, or hiking north, & ending in North Adams, at the cost of a much steeper elevation gain? I have found it harder to find my legs when I start at a steeper elevation gain, but the options for a mail drop seem more readily accessible if I start in Connecticut.

Cheers!

You should start near Pawling for the easy start you seek and don't worry about food there are so many places to get it no matter which way you hike.

CT is a lot of PUDs so it doesn't really matter which direction you go in that regard. Mass is pretty flat in the middle, with climbs at the N and S ends, so again it doesn't really matter which direction you go in that regard. But man, goin south-bound from Greylock to Pawling with be SO anticlimactic that I have to recommend S to N. Access to shopping is very good all through CT.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I agree with Just Tom, start at Pawling and end at North Adams, which should be much more interesting. By the time you get to Greylock (2 weeks, max), you should be in good enough shape that the climb doesn't kill you. Even when I covered this section in the 70's there were quite a number of food and resupply points, including post offices. There may be fewer post offices but there are almost certainly more eateries near road crossings.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I really appreciate these responses. The last time I hiked the Appalachian Trail (in any entirety) was in 13' when I completed the entire state of Connecticut from Jug End to Pawling with a mate. I found Pawling to not be so "anticlimactic" given how somber Pawling felt when we arrived. It was also an easy excuse to visit New York City. Because it was raining so much, the landscaping company allowed us to sleep on their deck (which was cool). That boardwalk is something to be cherished (especially at night). I'm definitely leaning on Pawling to North Adams. I want to try more UL backpacking, and the mail drop opportunities seem more immediately available in Connecticut. Tyringham appears to be the first real opportunity in Massachusetts.

As others said, do not carry more than three day's food... since VI, this has been easy food supplies!!!

If you have hiked what you claimed to have hiked, this will be easy-peasy!!! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ICO View Post
    Tyringham appears to be the first real opportunity in Massachusetts.
    if anyone is considering tyringham for a mail drop just be aware that post office keeps some odd hours.
    http://www.tyringham-ma.gov/Pages/Ty...ocs/Postoffice

while probably not adequate for a full resupply, there is a stand just off trail on jerusalem rd in tyringham which sells snacks and such.

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    As others said, do not carry more than three day's food... since VI, this has been easy food supplies!!!

If you have hiked what you claimed to have hiked, this will be easy-peasy!!! Enjoy!
    Yep. I don't intend to carry much food (as I will be mailing food ahead). I have hiked what I've claimed, but I'm many years out from my last section hike, so I'm going to take it easy to start. Two weeks seems doable (even with low mileage days). I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Does anyone know when Appalachian Trail thru-hikers (NOBO) typically hit Connecticut?

Quote Originally Posted by greatexpectations View Post
    if anyone is considering tyringham for a mail drop just be aware that post office keeps some odd hours.
    http://www.tyringham-ma.gov/Pages/Ty...ocs/Postoffice

while probably not adequate for a full resupply, there is a stand just off trail on jerusalem rd in tyringham which sells snacks and such.
    The odd hours make sense considering Tyringham is about as obscure as a town can get. It's absolutely gorgeous, though.

[QUOTE=ICO;2209373
    Does anyone know when Appalachian Trail thru-hikers (NOBO) typically hit Connecticut? [/QUOTE]

A few might be there now, but the bulk of them will start showing up mid to late June. The majority of thru hikers I met were still south of the SNP, many just getting into the Daleville area this last week. A lot of those may not make it through PA.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

You didn't mention time of year - at least, I didn't see it - but I recommend hiking no earlier than late August. September and October would be better. Summer bugs and humidity can be oppressive, especially when you're coming from a dry climate.

++ New Posts ++