WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default TRAIL ANGELS movie - now on iTunes, Amazon, Xbox, Vudu

Hello everyone. Some of you might remember the film I made and showed around in 2010.
    Its now available on lots of online platforms and I wanted to announce this to the WhiteBlaze community. This project was made from and for this community. I hope that you'll enjoy this story about some of the people along the trail that made your hike special.

Check it out on iTunes / Amazon / Xbox / Vudu

Trail Angels is a portrait of four legendary yet unsung heroes of the Appalachian Trail. Meet Baltimore Jack, Mala, Trail Angel Mary and Miss Janet-- four working class Americans who open their hearts to seasonal “thru-hikers” by performing random acts of kindness known as “trail magic” for the long distance hikers of the “AT”.

Mala, a Vietnam veteran and recovering addict lives on the AT out of his pick-up truck with his beloved black labrador retriever, 'Tucker Dawg'. Mala’s “Mayhem, Madness and Magic” sometimes means following a befriended hiker from Georgia to Maine offering wisdom and “cold beer” along the way.

Trail Angel Mary Parry, formerly homeless, lives in Duncannon, Pennsylvania, a half way point on the trail, the local chicken “Wing Queen” saves money working overtime at a roadside pub during winter. Come hiking season, Mary spends her modest savings hosting free “hiker feeds” in her back-yard and “cooler drops” at the town’s trailhead.

Miss Janet, single mom and long-time divorcee from Erwin TN, has turned her small home into a low cost “hiker hostel”. Her Southern hospitality is legendary on the trail and the front porch of Miss Janet’s House is lined with hundreds of empty hiking boots turned into flower pots.

Then there is Baltimore Jack, the consummate loner-turned-sage of the AT. His “certain kind of madness” is revealed as we hear his tale of hiking the AT in its entirety eight times! Even as he wraps his bum-knee, he shares knowledge often painfully earned with laughter.

Through the tender eyes of these Trail Angels we witness how hiking the AT and the focus it demands, spiritually transforms the hikers, people from all walks of life, awakening their sense of connectivity to each other, the earth and the moment. Yet the stimulating stream of hikers who pass through the Trail Angels’ lives leaves them lonely and blue during the cold off-season. Between the hikers’ hope and the angels’ sacrifice, an unexpected picture emerges of an overlooked America where those “out of step” with the mainstream create a linear community based on kindness that stretches 2175 miles up the East Coast.

Images

i heard......on your last 5 posts.

spammer
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

mary is the only "angel" of the bunch

The definition of 'Trail Magic' has changed since I hiked in 1997. There are very few actual trail angels along the AT these days. Some people call me a trail angel..... In reality, there are only one or two instances each hiker season that would actually fall into an 'angel' category. When they occur, they truly are magical.

hikers have come to expect free (or by donation) feeds at almost every road crossing between Springer and Damascus, especially on the weekends. These are no longer magical events, but expected events. It is actually sad to have watched happen. :-{
    ----------------
    SMHC Trail Maintainer
    Volunteer in the Park (VIP) GSMNP

Journal Entries

Default Miss Janet, Mala, Trail Angel Mary & Baltimore Jack in Trail Angels feature story

++ New Posts ++