WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Trading stocks on trail...

I'm just curious if there are people out there trading while on the trail? Obviously day trading is out of the question but swing trading is certainly possible with the right tools. With features of TD (and other reputable brokers) including the mobile trading platform and access to emails for up-to-date information I don't see why this couldn't be possible. For someone with a successful trading background it certainly should not be out of the question to not only pay for your hike while in progress, but to make money at it too. So, with iphones, ipads, email, a minimum of weekly access to a computer, has anyone attempted this?

I want to hear your story..... succeeded or not.
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Images

If this is what you are worrying about while hiking, might as well stay home.

I would just put the $ in a mutual fund or ETF, things could happen and you'd never know it out there.

That is the most disgusting idea I've ever seen on this site.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I think it is a great idea. If you can make money while you hike then you have got the right formula. Folks like Feral Bill and Lyle just need to get off their high horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    That is the most disgusting idea I've ever seen on this site.
    Disgusting ??? Quite a strong word (and) opinion with nothing supporting it. Do you pay your bills when you are on the trail? Is THAT disgusting? What makes this any different?

Yeah, because we all know day trading is a sure thing.

Excuse # 357 not to make it out of Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    It has NOTHING to do with 'worrying'. It's an alternative *potential* income while on the trail so one wouldn't have to come home to 6 months of MISSING income...

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Yeah, because we all know day trading is a sure thing.

-It absolutely is not. About as many people fail at short term trading as people who fail at thru-hiking, if not more. Never said it was. Not even close.

Excuse # 357 not to make it out of Georgia.

-Not sure where you got this one from. I asked a simple question as to if anyone has done this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Agree.........

Quote Originally Posted by yellowsirocco View Post
    I think it is a great idea. If you can make money while you hike then you have got the right formula. Folks like Feral Bill and Lyle just need to get off their high horses.
    What's a high horse?

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    What's a high horse?
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/g...igh-horse.html

You don't need to day trade to make money in the market. Day trading, or week trading in the context of a thru, is really no more than legalized gambling. You'll understand this as you get older. Put your money in 3 mutual funds; large cap, small cap, and foreign. Check your balances when your thru is complete.

Images

as its difficult to time the market at all with access to up to the minute information, its not likely to be a good strategy for the short term. in additon current stock prices are artificially inflated and are entering a bubble phase.there is nothing out there to justify record highs, and too much money coming in because it aint going into real estate, banks also paying next to nothing on cds. id be short the market right now, and long precious metals.but short term trading when you cant stay on top of it every day is not a good bet.and if you're going to obsess about what those stocks are doing while you're out there.like he said, you may as well stay home.the one on thier high horses feel one of the biggest benefits of long distance hiking is the ability to disconnect. its extremely liberating. it in fact may make you a better investor as you come of the trail with a fresh set of eyes to reevaluate market conditions.on trail too much risk, not enough reward, just not worth the hassle

Hike your on hike. Why be negative to someone who is asking for advice?

I think it is a great idea to manage your investments while on the trail because once you are finished you the trail you will not be clueless.

Ignore the people who don't provide wisdom. I would use my phone and have someone that you trust back home monitoring it for you and if not help manage (you never know what might happen).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JHG008 View Post

I think it is a great idea to manage your investments while on the trail because once you are finished you the trail you will not be clueless.

Ignore the people who don't provide wisdom. I would use my phone and have someone that you trust back home monitoring it for you and if not help manage (you never know what might happen).
    at your age not "managing your investments" for 6 months will have zero impact on your long term wealth.just buy a couple of good quality mutual funds with dollar cost averaging from your checking account.

Default Trading stocks on trail...

No offense but I'm not looking for financial advice. I work in the finance industry and have a semi-successful track record under my belt. I SWING TRADE (huge difference from DAY trading). My positions usually range from 3 days to 2-3 months (obviously every trade is different and has different targets).

I was innocently asking if anyone has successfully traded stock while on the trail. For someone to go as far as saying its 'disgusting' is absurd. I think it's disgusting that some of you feel that opinionated.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    as its difficult to time the market at all with access to up to the minute information, its not likely to be a good strategy for the short term. in additon current stock prices are artificially inflated and are entering a bubble phase.there is nothing out there to justify record highs, and too much money coming in because it aint going into real estate, banks also paying next to nothing on cds. id be short the market right now, and long precious metals.but short term trading when you cant stay on top of it every day is not a good bet.and if you're going to obsess about what those stocks are doing while you're out there.like he said, you may as well stay home.the one on thier high horses feel one of the biggest benefits of long distance hiking is the ability to disconnect. its extremely liberating. it in fact may make you a better investor as you come of the trail with a fresh set of eyes to reevaluate market conditions.on trail too much risk, not enough reward, just not worth the hassle
    I certainly agree with current market conditions. I am also long precious metals (paper stock and physical). I am also long SDOW and other am ready to pull the trigger on a few leveraged VIX plays when a market correction DOES occur.

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JHG008 View Post

at your age not "managing your investments" for 6 months will have zero impact on your long term wealth.just buy a couple of good quality mutual funds with dollar cost averaging from your checking account.
    It may not. However, approximately 10% of my income comes from trading. My entire intention behind the thread was this... If I were to leave my 9-5, what are the chances that I could maintain that 10% income while on the trail. Obviously, I wouldn't have full access to the necessary tools to trade as I do now. I also wouldn't WWANT to. I have no intentions on being glued to a phone while on the trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I certainly agree with current market conditions. I am also long precious metals (paper stock and physical). I am also long SDOW and other am ready to pull the trigger on a few leveraged VIX plays when a market correction DOES occur.
    i just think that the time you would need to spend monitoring your positions wouldnt be worth the possible reward, take away from your trail experience, and in the short term would have very little impact either way on your long term goals.
    but if its just for sh**s and giggles, hey what the heck

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++