WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Someone just tried to leave the most insolent comment on my blog...

IMG_7094.PNG

I just want to know....

what sort of person does this and why?

For the record, I didn't fail. Sure I didn't hike the whole trail. But I covered over 1,300 miles in less than 4 months, after never having backpacked in my life. My own body did me in. I lost too much weight. It took me 6 months to get over this. In a few years, I'm going to try again, with a better game plan.

I'm sorry if this is silly. It really irks me.

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Images

Did you feel as a failure? That is all that is important. Not finishing a 2100 mile hike is not a failure. hiking is about what you get out of it.Don't let a few words ruin your joy and accomplishment. there are many crazy and jealous people out there.

Is that all the person said, "You failed"???? Did you keep the comment in your blog? If so, is there a link to the blog post with this comment?

You can always delete the idiots. I've been called all sorts of things on Whiteblaze but I keep coming back . . . . my fingers do the Keyboard Trail when my legs aren't hiking etc.

Over the years I've reviewed backpacking blogs and trip reports and add my comments in my trip journals---gives me something to do when holed up in my tent. I may applaud or lambast---but a "you failed" comment needs alot more words to explain his (or her) meaning, at least for your sake.

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    IMG_7094.PNG

Mods, if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it.
    humor section

Truth be known you've probably done a lot more than that commenter has. Delete it and forget it.

...and with time-outs thread.

If you really cared what unnamed people thought, would you have started the hike to begin with? I think not.

Don't worry about what other people think. Leave the comment up, let everyone see what a jerk the poster is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I deleted it. They just want attention. It's just frustrating to think that people get a kick out of their own negativity.

trail journal
    // blog

"You failed" seems pretty tame. You should read some comments on Facebook and YouTube vids.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    "You failed" seems pretty tame. You should read some comments on Facebook and YouTube vids.
    Youtube comments are the worst! I don't even get on Facebook anymore

trail journal
    // blog

I think I know who this is. Apparently he has learned how to spoof IP addresses.

He's a whackadoodle, for sure. Just ignore him. And don't worry, you won't run into him ever actually hiking...

HYOH. You didn't fail, you just got off the trail. No big deal. And, certainly NOBODY's business except your own. Unless your were sponsored. That's a different story, just sayin...

Rest assured that every mile you hiked on the AT was a mile more than that idiot ever has or ever will do on the AT.

Ignore the idiots. You have accomplished much more than other 25 year olds. At this point in my life, the opinions of others just don't matter.

Never let that get to you. You didn't fail. Made it farther than I did the first time.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    humor section
    Comments like that are motivated by the posters own lack of confidence and esteem They try to pull others down to their level. Ignore it and focus on lifting others up

Oh and congratulations on your accomplishment

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Did you feel as a failure? That is all that is important. Not finishing a 2100 mile hike is not a failure. hiking is about what you get out of it.Don't let a few words ruin your joy and accomplishment. there are many crazy and jealous people out there.
    Huh? Not accomplishing a goal is a failure.

That's ok, though. The only people who never fail are the people who never try. You learn and become a stronger, better person through them, unless you deny they happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Rest assured that every mile you hiked on the AT was a mile more than that idiot ever has or ever will do on the AT.
    In addition, there's nothing stopping you from pulling weekend backpacking trips from here to eternity. The best antidote for online hysteria is getting out under load and breaking a sweat on a tough hill climb and setting up camp.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AlyontheAT2016 View Post
    I deleted it. They just want attention. .
    As a poster of a public blog, this is different from you how?

You have more in common with poster than you see. A match made in cyberspace. One cannot exist without the other. Your just upset it was nasty. If your gonna put stuff out there for comment...you better have thick skin

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post

That's ok, though. The only people who never fail are the people who never try. You learn and become a stronger, better person through them, unless you deny they happened.
    Backpacking is a strange endeavor and goal-setting is often futile for good reason. A full life of backpacking includes all sorts of trails and all sorts of geographies. A futile quest is to say "I will start the AT and finish it, by god!!"

A better goal would be to say, "I will try and continue backpacking for the rest of my life and try to get as many bag nights as humanly possible." The AT is just a small fraction of this.

This goal will therefore include AT offs-and-ons, a week in the Wind River district, a hundred weekends thruout the Southeast, 2 weeks in the Bob Marshall etc.

Not accomplishing a backpacking goal is NOT a failure---it's just an opportunity to reassess gear and head out again. TO QUIT BACKPACKING permanently could be considered a failure---at least so assessed by the hard-core backpacking community.

My old mantra is thus: "If you're outside you're a success; If you're indoors you're a failure."

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post

Not only that, but I haven't seen where the OP even stated they had a "goal" in mind. It's quite possible the intent was do do half as far as they went and ended up going farther than planned.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++