WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default On the fence about vlog my AT thru attempt

Absolutely loving all the blogs out there on YouTube. Gives me great insight into the gear others use, the weather, the terrain, and how life on the trail is. It makes me wonder whether I’d want to vlog my attempt.
    I can’t help but think if people injure themselves. I’m seeing many hikers on rough terrain, stumbling over rocks, roots, ice....with one hand holding two trekking poles, the other a selfie stick.

Can’t imagine after pulling a 20 miler, wanting to edit, upload and download videos. That’s if you get a signal. Plus, you need to recharge your phone/GoPro more often.

Does constantly needing to film take away from the experience?

I know, I know...HYOH
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Yes it does require a lot of effort.

No you do not need to do it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

there is quiet enough video out there.

i wouldn't do it and just enjoy your hike

Do what makes you happy I guess. I plan to tell only a handful of close people I am even going. May post a photo on Facebook like every month. I like taking some photos, but I go to the woods to unplug. Whenever it happens, I will be mostly off grid.

If you are an experienced vlogger and are confident in your ability to film, edit, tell a story, upload, stay committed, etc then go for it.

Another option would be to just film a few 30 second to minute clips each day and then on your town stops spend an hour or two editing and uploading.

Or just film here and there when something is meaningful to you and after your trip put together a 5-10 minute video of the entire hike. This gives you the benefit of those moments on video long term without the burden of a daily homework assignment, enjoy the hike while on the trail and then practice your vlogging skills afterwards.

For those that live through others due to not being able to thru hike there is great enjoyment out of a thru hiking vlogger. If done well it is very enjoyable to watch someone walk the trail over the year.

However, if it is not enjoyable for the vlogger then certainly don't feel obligated. Vlogging can definitely add a very different angle to y our hike depending on how frequently you post your videos. I know that earlyriser, one of the most well known vloggers of 2017, saw a lot of generosity and kindness from youtube fans. People waiting on roadsides with McDonalds and candy for him. I personally would not enjoy this and I can see why others would not either.

IYOH
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Do you hope to achieve sponsorships or internet fame?

It can be a pain to film a lot. If you take the time to set up decent shots and such it becomes a big time consuming pain.

If you don’t take the effort, or have some sort of plan or narrative, it can rapidly degrade into another shakey camera video of a hiker rambling on.

I’d recommend the 30 second to 2 minute approach. If you come up to an epic vista shoot some footage. Likewise, if you’re walking along and have something to share, take a min or two to say it.
    When you get to town you can edit and upload it with that good ol’ WiFi.

I enjoyed making10 to 15 min vids for my family to watch but once I got caught up in counting views it was easy to get frustrated when a video of the Whites got 500 and then some newbie posts a pre trail pack video that gets 6 thousand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sponsorships or internet fame. In fact, I hate having my pic taken. I thought of my AT attempt as a big event in my life...one worthy of documenting for friends and family. Also...if and when a day comes and my memory lapses...be nice to look back.

I do like the 30 sec - 2 Min approach. I don’t desire to shoot video of every moss formation or rock jutting out of a tree.

In the end, couldn’t care less if anyone else sees my video other than family and friends
    We don’t stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking.
    - Finis Mitchell

https://lighterpack.com/r/6yyu2j

Registered Offender

“It’s not lost on me that I’m so busy recording life, I don’t have time to really live it.” ~David Sedaris, Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls

A lot of times vlogs are about the vlogger, not the subject. People aren't going to want to stare at your dirty face while you explain how much you hiked that day.

Post to a Flickr album for people to follow, or pick a few gems for Instagram. Or if you do make videos, just make narrated slide shows.

if its work, I say skip it

Journal Entries

HYOH, it may be a burden or something that inspired you. Find out for yourself and adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    A lot of times vlogs are about the vlogger, not the subject. People aren't going to want to stare at your dirty face while you explain how much you hiked that day.

Post to a Flickr album for people to follow, or pick a few gems for Instagram. Or if you do make videos, just make narrated slide shows.

if its work, I say skip it
    I disagree. I enjoy good vlogs. Everyone has the same boring photos of Hump Mountain and random flowers. Interesting personalities combined with their thoughts and experiences are interesting if done right. Everyone hates a slide show, especially with terrible music.

It's possible to document it without it becoming work or feeling obligated to do it every day. On my hike I just took a lot of photos, and a couple videos when I saw something fun, interesting or beautiful. There's a lot of all of that! Keeping a journal is another great to way to remember a lot of details that otherwise might fade.

Quote Originally Posted by FrogLevel View Post
    I disagree. I enjoy good vlogs. Everyone has the same boring photos of Hump Mountain and random flowers. Interesting personalities combined with their thoughts and experiences are interesting if done right. Everyone hates a slide show, especially with terrible music.
    Agreed, I think slideshows are terrible

Images

If it is not on the Internet, did it even happen?

Asking for a friend
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Images

Sorry, that comment was much too flip.

When I hike I take lots of pictures, a few notes, and just let the surroundings soak in. When I get home, I just like to keep my thoughts to myself for a while, and savor the experience. A few months later when the noise of life threatens to drive nature's tranquility back out of my bones, I go through my pictures and write it all up in a Trailjournal. By then most people are not interested in what I did a few months before, but that is alright by me.

I really write those things so that some day my kids will read them and know something about their Dad. My dad died when I was a teenager and now he seems like a stranger to me. I like to think that my musings on the trail will give my kids some comfort when I am gone.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Sorry, that comment was much too flip.

When I hike I take lots of pictures, a few notes, and just let the surroundings soak in. When I get home, I just like to keep my thoughts to myself for a while, and savor the experience. A few months later when the noise of life threatens to drive nature's tranquility back out of my bones, I go through my pictures and write it all up in a Trailjournal. By then most people are not interested in what I did a few months before, but that is alright by me.

I really write those things so that some day my kids will read them and know something about their Dad. My dad died when I was a teenager and now he seems like a stranger to me. I like to think that my musings on the trail will give my kids some comfort when I am gone.
    That's wonderful. Make sure you back it up and they know that it exists and where to find it (the backups too). My grandfather kept a journal most of his life from the age of 25-80~. It was one of the neatest things I could imagine someone doing.

Yes, it does for me...... but then again it might be just the thing for you.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

People have mentioned journaling; you’ll often be too tired to do so but I’d totally suggest doing so.

Just a few minutes at the end of the day to record your thoughts will go a long way.

I find myself watching my old videos now and enjoying them but there are vast stretches where I can hardly remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to be a minimalist vlogger. I'm not going to do much editing, target my family and friends and upload only when I have a WiFi signal during a hostel stay or in town on a resupply. Others are invited to view but they shouldn't expect "professional" vlogging. Flip Flopping beginning in HF after the Flip Flop festival. At Flip Flop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++