WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Yep GA bears are nailing food bags

Well despite the rules telling hikers they must have bear canisters in the Blood Mtn area, thru hikers are ignoring it and bears are taking food bags. Just saw a post by a thru hiking group from yesterday on Facebook of hikers who had a bag taken. What is it gonna take for people to cooperate so this issue is resolved?

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Learn to hang your food bag, it's not that hard. In 2008 everyone around Walnut Mountain got their food nailed by bears except us, just need to know the PCT Method and pick a good branch.

Seriously though, how many prospective thru-hikers leaving Springer can hang a food bag? I would say 1 in 10, they should either have a no camping zone or reroute the trail around Blood Mountain entirely, very overrated mountain in my view.

I'm almost done with the Pinhoti trail and headed for springer mt for the AT. Just sent my bear bagging line and carabiner home. Oops. Guess my food is going in my tent as usual.

Images

Has any bear gone into a tent for food this year? It would surprise me if they did. I think they rely on seeing those colored bags hanging in trees that look like some kind of fruit and then find out that they are even better than fruit with a lot of variety on the menu. The counter balance method works well but really the in tent method works well too. Especially if other people hang their food to keep the bears occupied. I'll find out Friday.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Pretty sure the law in this short section is the way to go.

If the bears have lost their fear of humans then
    1. don't camp there
    or
    2. be prepared for bears that have no fears of humans

bear bagging and putting your food in the tent are solutions for bears that are afraid of people. Not these things.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    they should either have a no camping zone or reroute the trail around Blood Mountain entirely, very overrated mountain in my view.
    the locals disagree with you as neels gap to blood mtn is easily the most hiked section of the trail in georgia.

Bear canisters required? Dint even know the AT had such laws. From springer to neels gap, 30 miles? Carry a canister for a 2 days....LOL! I just don't see anybody starting the AT with an extra 2 pounds of canister just to carry it for a couple days. Not to mention the cost.

Required only on a 5 mile section and only if you plan on camping there overnight. Just don't camp in that section.

The next move by the Forest Service will be to just close that section to ALL camping.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Hanging is the problem folks. Hanging kills bears.

And I am lumping in proper hanging with substandard, since that is the reality.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I would not want to be the one who puts the noose on the bear...how do you get them to stand on the trapdoor with the noose around its neck? Oh, wait an improperly hanging food bag to distract them. Is this a case where bear poles will be constructed or bear lockers.

Journal Entries

I was talking to an employee at REI who was attacked by a bear for sleeping with his food he manged to survive but lost his food. I couldn't believe this! I had more faith in people hiking the AT with experience of hanging there food. Cant wait to get out there and help people out!
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

Images

I'm not gonna be on the trail for another month, but I'm definitely going to be hanging my food at night. I'm curious to see what kind of activity there will be once I'm out there though, if people keep being irresponsible and reinforcing bear presence.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Hanging is the problem folks. Hanging kills bears.

And I am lumping in proper hanging with substandard, since that is the reality.
    ^^that is why hanging food is already illegal in a few spot. In 10-15 years it might well be illegal everywhere.

Link to the Facebook page? Need more info, not another bear canister thread.
    GA 80-Miler

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    ^^that is why hanging food is already illegal in a few spot. In 10-15 years it might well be illegal everywhere.
    It is just impossible to make everyone hang properly. Heck, even cables strung by professionals are being compromised in places.

It is my strong opinion that hanging (and food left unattended) is the crux of nearly ALL of the bear problems.

I sleep with my food on the AT, and sleep well. YMMV

Images

Quote Originally Posted by timmy_toes View Post
    I was talking to an employee at REI who was attacked by a bear for sleeping with his food he manged to survive but lost his food. I couldn't believe this! I had more faith in people hiking the AT with experience of hanging there food. Cant wait to get out there and help people out!
    I would like to hear the details of this bear in the tent food grab. Who did you talk to? What REI and where was he camped. Gizzly in Alaska or Black bear at a car camping spot. More detail please.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I would like to hear the details of this bear in the tent food grab. Who did you talk to? What REI and where was he camped. Gizzly in Alaska or Black bear at a car camping spot. More detail please.
    Yeppers, BIG difference.

Default BTW... Its Neel Gap...

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Learn to hang your food bag, it's not that hard. In 2008 everyone around Walnut Mountain got their food nailed by bears except us, just need to know the PCT Method and pick a good branch.

Seriously though, how many prospective thru-hikers leaving Springer can hang a food bag? I would say 1 in 10, they should either have a no camping zone or reroute the trail around Blood Mountain entirely, very overrated mountain in my view.

Seriously tho... Reroute Blood Mountain???
    the locals disagree with you as neels gap to blood mtn is easily the most hiked section of the trail in georgia.
    The irony is you don't live here... You don't hike here on a weekly basis... You just run ur mouth, opps, view... I don't even know MaxPatch, but that is spot on... Its a 5 mile section people... Even if they close it, like they have before, its 10 miles thru... 2 years in a row you have been able to harvest 2 bears during hunting season... Maybe the prob is not with the 1 in 10 that can't hang a bear bag, its with the 1 in 10 bad hunters... You get that "Elf" ...

FWIW... I can walk out my door, up the ridge and be on Blood Mountain
    in 20 minutes... seen lotsa bears... Still got my Z-Pack and all my grub... Just sayin'...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    Me three. Details.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++