WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Too much drama!

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. Welcome to the first step Rast. LMAO

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moldy View Post
    The drama is good.
    Isn't that Jerry Springer's and/or Maury Povich's motto? And more suitable for such venues. Not for WB.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by canoe View Post
    Yeah but you could always come back with another name. something like Irish Bastard or something like that
    I tried, but, I think they recognized my address or something. It did take a day or so. I am definitely not Irish Bastard.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    cussing and flaming.

My candidate for the most common expression in internet discussion (not limited to WB) is "your a moron" which says as much about grammatical skills or lack thereof as it does about civility and respect.
    A posters cussing, "you're a moron", telling people how to hike their own hike, allows me to learn much more about them and their expertise, than what I learn about the person their addressing, the trail, gear, food..........some folk can only be an expert at someone elses expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    I tried, but, I think they recognized my address or something. It did take a day or so. I am definitely not Irish Bastard.
    I know youre not IB ...

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Just curious, what is the other site?
    moytoy may be talking about Hobo Central, a site owned by 2 former owners of WB and composed mostly of former and current members of WB. It is a private adjunct of hikinghq.net, membership by invitation only. I used to be a member, but got booted. Nothing there of value!

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

It's hard to convey sarcasm and humor in writing - I know I've failed at it many times and ticked of some WB members. Since then, I've tried to post only when I have some useful information or local knowledge, and tried to keep any other comments to myself. Doesn't always work, but I try!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    moytoy may be talking about Hobo Central, a site owned by 2 former owners of WB and composed mostly of former and current members of WB. It is a private adjunct of hikinghq.net, membership by invitation only. I used to be a member, but got booted. Nothing there of value!

Wow! You, too?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Quote Originally Posted by chief View Post
    I left on my own accord

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    hiking is just golf with out the aggravation.
    You must be right...I haven't thrown a hiking pole yet.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    You must be right...I haven't thrown a hiking pole yet.
    My son went to a Catholic High School, he had a 5 handicap. The golf coach wouldn't take him 'cause he can throw his clubs farther than the kid that threw the Javlin!

While not all-inlcusive, many WBers seem to fall into one or more of the following roles:

WISE VETERAN: they share their experiences and knowledge, offer thoughtfull advice, maybe pick up a few new tricks, and generally pay it forward for all the help they received in the past.

NEWBY: hungry for knowledge, advice, and help as they navigate through all the collective wisdom and knowledge contained on this site. Occasionally stumble into hot-button topics that get our next role-player riled up and become confused by some of the reactions their posts receive. For them, WB is a fantastic resource and they are excited to have located it.

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise.

QUIET MAJORITY: has some knowledge to share and does so positively. Occasionally posts a question and is sincerely looking for real answers. May visit sporadically or often but either way they love visiting WB and sharing, learning, and talking about backpacking and the AT. Enjoys a good laugh with the rest of us, but quickly gets bored as serious threads decay into sophomoric dribble.

We can all choose who we will be on WB. There's room for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post
    While not all-inlcusive, many WBers seem to fall into one or more of the following roles:

WISE VETERAN: they share their experiences and knowledge, offer thoughtfull advice, maybe pick up a few new tricks, and generally pay it forward for all the help they received in the past.

NEWBY: hungry for knowledge, advice, and help as they navigate through all the collective wisdom and knowledge contained on this site. Occasionally stumble into hot-button topics that get our next role-player riled up and become confused by some of the reactions their posts receive. For them, WB is a fantastic resource and they are excited to have located it.

CHRONIC POSTER: they appear to live on WB. They often have considerable knowledge and wisdom but they seem to spend more time arguing about semantics, misinterpreted intent, and the color of the sky in Georgia. They seldom lack an opinion on any topic yet are quick to point out to newbies how tired they are by having to continually express these opinions. It appears that post-count is equated with social status and building that post count is equated with real work or exercise.

QUIET MAJORITY: has some knowledge to share and does so positively. Occasionally posts a question and is sincerely looking for real answers. May visit sporadically or often but either way they love visiting WB and sharing, learning, and talking about backpacking and the AT. Enjoys a good laugh with the rest of us, but quickly gets bored as serious threads decay into sophomoric dribble.

Me...I was a wise, quiet, nubee that got sucked into that "why can't we all get along" thread and it was like hard drugs...no matter how hard I try, cant get off the stuff. I start rehab tomorrow.

Hello all you old timers. From someone new at the forum,
    i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.
    The At leaves you breathless and gives you stories to tell. Scatterlings of Africa on a long walk to freedom

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I don't remember yelling at anyone
    If you were on the receiving end you might....... (got any duct tape?)
    YOURSELF Find, Know, Be

click HERE to become rich!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    Hello all you old timers. From someone new at the forum,
    i enjoy the argie Barrgie of good robust discussion, often very funny when taken with a pinch of salt and a glass of good wine.

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail.

Hope to have lots of good robust discussion and perhaps some disagreements but also lots of laughs and make up coffees or wines.
    I have never witnessed anything on the trail that even remotely takes place here. Come here, enjoy are wonderful countrysides and our citizens

Seriuos question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict.
    Doesn't happen. Crap that goes on this website doesn't happen in the woods. The worst I've experienced is the realization that I didn't like someone for whatever reason at a shelter so I just hiked on a couple miles and camped in the woods. And I can count those times using the fingers of one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I have never witnessed anything on the trail that even remotely takes place here. Come here, enjoy are wonderful countrysides and our citizens
    When people are within arms reach of one another, everything changes.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pyroman53 View Post

You left out the "Know It All CyberHiker"
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

...Serious question. What happens on the trail if we disagree and get into serious conflict. I would think you agree to disagree. And hopefully make up somewhere on the trail....
    Rarely happens.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++