WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up 2010 hiker sightings

Last Sunday at Kincora was surprised to see a SOBO.

Spaz McGee has been enduring the elements, but did have a few hours to enjoy the Super Bowl. Hope Spaz Mcgee wasn't caught in the Roans during this terrible weather.

Good Luck all!!! See you when you get up this way!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Just to let everyone know: when I encounter someone on the trail, I ask their permission to post here. When you meet a hiker you might also ask them if they mind. There might be a few that don't want their whereabouts known.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yesterday after finishing a day of blow down removal we were hiking back to the truck. At Doll Flats I found some YakTrax on the ground, apparentely they had fallen off someone's pack.

Last night I got a call from Kincora, the owner of the YakTrax had made it to Kincora that day. I agreed to meet in town today and return the YakTrax to .....

Trek

Trek has survived the Roan Highlands. He has snow shoes so he didn't miss the YakTrax much. Evidently there is still ALOT of snow in the Roan Highlands. The foot path is still not visible and he had a hard time following the trail, especially where we relocated the trail around Little Hump (he was unfamiliar with the relocation). He mentioned only seeing about a foot of the posts with blazes on them. The posts are 6 feet long, so that is ALOT of snow.

We didn't make it to the top of Hump yesterday while searching for blowdowns. There was easily 3 feet of snow when we turned around.

Be extra careful out there. Trek suggested to bring extra food when going through the Highlands just in case.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Thanks for doing this Squid. I don't figure I will have many early birds this year up here in NY but I have been seeing a lot of section hikers out. Maybe allthe snow to the south and north and squeezing them into the middle
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I reckon they will start trickling through down here. Having survived the Smokies and the Roan Highlands, the following hikers are hanging out at Kincora (just in time for a freeze tonite):

Mike
    Hollywood (username = Trailbender)
    Thinker

They said there is still snow on top of Roan, but apparently it is melting quickly now, leaving a river of water. As I understood, the 'river' is actually under packed snow/ice. Be careful.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Journal Entries
    Images

Out doing some maintenance on my section, South of Moreland Gap Shelter, met the following hikers:

Ten Fidy
    Groom
    Shakes
    Reverend
    Big Fork
    Little Spoon
    Hitchcock
    Bull Dog

It was a great weather day!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

Spent the night at Wise shelter with Blue Moon and Bloodhound last night.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yesterday at Kincora:

Thin Mint
    Rainbow Monkey
    Lab Rat
    South Paw
    AD
    Creepy
    Moose (3/31)
    Willie Walker

Today at TN91:

Love it or Leave it
    Knight Crawler
    Kashmir
    Green Dog

Nice weather today. No more snow at the Osborne Farm.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Storyteller
    Images

Didn't write down the names, but I was in the vicinity of the Scott Farm today and stopped to take a look at the register. Appears three through-hikers have passed through Pa.'s Cumberland Valley already. Saw two hikers heading down through the fields just south of the farm as I was leaving, but don't know if they were throughs or just section hikers.

Journal Entries
    Images

Trail Maint today on Pond Flats getting ready for Hard Core, saw the following hikers wander by:

Pony Tail Dave (4/1)
    KingKrawler (TJ)
    Veto
    Jay-B
    Slinky
    Dickle
    Crunch Wrap
    Sparky

See you on the trail (and at Trail Days),
    mt squid

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop Time View Post
    Didn't write down the names, but I was in the vicinity of the Scott Farm today and stopped to take a look at the register. Appears three through-hikers have passed through Pa.'s Cumberland Valley already. Saw two hikers heading down through the fields just south of the farm as I was leaving, but don't know if they were throughs or just section hikers.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for them the last year or so the first thrus's have passed through in the first week of may or so this year i expected it to be closer to the end of the month due to the heavy snow early on.

Images

I don't remember the names but it appears that at least 3 thru hikers had logged in at the Tom Leonard shelter in Southern Mass. when I was there on thursday 4-29.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    I don't remember the names but it appears that at least 3 thru hikers had logged in at the Tom Leonard shelter in Southern Mass. when I was there on thursday 4-29.
    Really that seems extra early but i still would not be surprised. If you come across names I would love to know them to see what they wrote in the logs down here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Checking out my section today. North of Moreland Gap Shelter saw the following hikers:

Jibitz (4/2)
    Yoga Matt (3/31)
    Heads Up (3/30)
    Buckaroo
    Magnet
    Landfill (4/2)
    School Bus
    Ron
    Wolf Pack
    Stumble Wolf
    Little Aspen
    Toothpick

See you on the trail (and at Trail Days),
    mt squid

Storyteller
    Images

No names, but sounds like at least 8-10 through-hikers have passed through the Cumberland Valley at this point. In addition to the three I saw last week in the register at the Scott Farm, a guy named "Jeff" (no trail name), who I talked to yesterday at the Clarks Ferry Shelter said there were several right behind him (he is going Harpers Ferry to Katahdin after doing Springer to Harpers Ferry last year) and at the Doyle after my hike, Pat and Vickey said four passed through Duncannon Friday. There were two others staying there last night, but I am not sure if they were section hikers or through-hikers.

Images

I didn't see him no do I know the name at this point but I got a message from a fellow maintainer who has the section just south of me that he had a GaMe pass through on the 29th. The fellow said he had started in Feb.

Journal Entries

Default looking for Trek

Started the trail Jan. 30 and now am in New Hampshire. No other thru-hikers up here that
    I am aware of. Anyone seen or heard from Trek?? Alot of people asking me about him. Does anybody know of any other thru-hikers close to me?? Lots of mud and standing water on the trail. Killington got 12" of snow a few days ago. Snow levels around 3,000 feet or so. Heading up Moosilauke tomorrow.

Nature Boy

Images

Default Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
    Started the trail Jan. 30 and now am in New Hampshire. No other thru-hikers up here that
    I am aware of. Anyone seen or heard from Trek?? Alot of people asking me about him. Does anybody know of any other thru-hikers close to me?? Lots of mud and standing water on the trail. Killington got 12" of snow a few days ago. Snow levels around 3,000 feet or so. Heading up Moosilauke tomorrow.

Nature Boy
    Welcome aboard Nature Boy... Sorry i can't help with your inquiry, but I'll say a prayer for your continued success....
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

Images

Glad to hear you are doing ok I hope you enjoy the rest of your hike. Try to leave some of the Black flies for the rest of the folks to come.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I didn't see him no do I know the name at this point but I got a message from a fellow maintainer who has the section just south of me that he had a GaMe pass through on the 29th. The fellow said he had started in Feb.
    I met ToeMan (?) at the NJ/NY line the afternoon of 4/23. He said he had started in February. He said he thought there was one other thru ahead of him, and that he thought the guy ahead of him had skipped the Smokies due to the snow, and perhaps some other sections.

Remembering my thru-hiker appetite, I gave him half of the grinder I was packing for the evening meal.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    I met ToeMan (?) at the NJ/NY line the afternoon of 4/23. He said he had started in February. He said he thought there was one other thru ahead of him, and that he thought the guy ahead of him had skipped the Smokies due to the snow, and perhaps some other sections.

Remembering my thru-hiker appetite, I gave him half of the grinder I was packing for the evening meal.
    That could have been the same guy would be close to the right timeframe.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++