Thread: Merritt Island

Default Merritt Island

Just seeing if anyone is local to me.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Images

I’m in Cocoa Beach.

I’m in melbourne. (Fl, not Aussie)

Cool, I'm right by Banana River, and work in Melbourne around the corner from Zpacks, I never knew where they were from until I looked it up. Small world. Nice to see people near by that can relate to hiking in Florida.
    " 6 bucks and my left nut says we're not going to be landing in Chicago" Del Griffith

Have you looked into the EELs program? (Environmentally endangered lands program). The Malabar scrub sanctuary and Mico road sanctuary are pleasant walks. Wear bug spray though ;*)

Images

I’m on the Banana River in Cocoa Beach. I’ve done a little bit of Fla. hiking but most of my experience is on the AT and other mountain trails.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Have you looked into the EELs program? (Environmentally endangered lands program). The Malabar scrub sanctuary and Mico road sanctuary are pleasant walks. Wear bug spray though ;*)
    Thanks for the info. Did you apply to be a committee volunteer? We visit Tosohatchee WMA when the heat is somewhat bearable.
    Last edited by slowdive; 05-21-2019 at 23:38. Reason: addition of word

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rx View Post
    I’m on the Banana River in Cocoa Beach. I’ve done a little bit of Fla. hiking but most of my experience is on the AT and other mountain trails.
    Our hiking in FL is all but over till end of year I suppose. We are off to CA in August and prob N. GA between now and then, my dad still lives up there and refuses to move here, lol

Images

Maybe we can get together and hike some time. I understand why your Dad won’t move (trees, hills, flowing creeks, etc..). Safe travels to you.

B
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdive View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did you apply to be a committee volunteer? We visit Tosohatchee WMA when the heat is somewhat bearable.
    I am not a committee volunteer, are you? Do you enjoy the position? I was kind of burned out on community volunteering from my home owners association - lots of petty nonsense. I do always bring a trash bag and small lopper. pick up litter, trim branches. Most folks on Malabar scrub sanctuary trail are bicyclists and don’t like to stop and dismount while as a walker it’s easy for me to pick up stuff. Pleasant, upbeat people, lots of kids, older folks, young professional types. The Mico sanctuary is more secluded, they allow horses so there can be lots of poop. Horse people are a study in themselves, area can flood in rainy season. Lots of wood stork, bald eagles, scrub jay, gopher tortoise, wild hog, deer, possum, armadillo, etc. The turkey creek sanctuary is mostly boardwalk, with some forested trails. I saw a manatee mamma and baby last outing. Not exactly high Sierra vistas, but very pretty and peaceful in its own right.

Florida hiking has its own rewards. My only hesitation on the Florida trail is around lake Ochachobe and swampy south Florida. Lots of big gators out there. You can use reason with a bear or puma, small critters run away, but a gator will snap at local movement. They can be surprisingly well camouflaged, even the really big ones. Sebastian park banned small dogs cause the gators were eating them while walking with their owners. I don’t have little kids, but I wouldn’t take them near gator water near sunset for same reason. Don’t know statistics, but statistics don’t matter when it your kid. I usually walk with my dog for company. She loves to sniff.

Oh no, I am not a volunteer, I just found out about it when you mentioned it so I thought maybe you were. The deadline was March for new applicants. HOA's are a world of their own here it seems. Luckily we pay about 90 bucks a year for someone to cut the grass at the entrance.

@ T-rex, yeah PM me, Kestrel too and I can give you my number. If not a hike in the swamp, there is always cold beer.

++ New Posts ++