WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

McAffe knob is like 20 feet off the ground. If you look over the edge it's only 20 or so feet down. That's why all the pictures are from that angle. To make it look like its miles high

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Hiking does not make you a hiker any more than holding a violin makes you a violinist.
    Likewise, something at the Grand Canyon doesn't make it about the Appalachian Trail. This thread has no business on WhiteBlaze, unless it's posted under "Other Trails" and doesn't waste our time and attention here. The thread title is just a tease, too.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    The article I read was that she moved to let another hiker past and tripped and fell over the edge. Very sad.
    The trail is about 8-10 feet wide when it goes by Ooooh Ahhhh point, there is never a need to step that far off for others to pass. she must have simply been not paying attention, cozying up to the edge taking pictures. so sad, but these things happen all the time all over the world. simple dumb slip ups. I've been hiking since I was 10, pretty much year 'round all the time, 10's of thousands of miles and voila, I just did a huge face plant a few weeks ago, coming down an easy trail in Yosemite, 12 stitches, scabs all over my face and hands and a thousand dollar ER bill to show for it. Yeah, I was very lucky. Cest la vie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Likewise, something at the Grand Canyon doesn't make it about the Appalachian Trail. This thread has no business on WhiteBlaze, unless it's posted under "Other Trails" and doesn't waste our time and attention here. The thread title is just a tease, too.
    Ooooo sorry forgot there are much more important threads here....."what's the best stove".....yep does belong on other sections maybe mods can move.....wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hiking does not make you a hiker....
    Yes, hiking makes one a hiker. Nothing magical, just a definition.

Journal Entries

Hiking does not make you a hiker any more than holding a violin makes you a violinist. There's years of knowledge to obtain before you are confident... and safe.
    Id say yes it does.

But theres obviously a difference between an experienced, skilled practitioner, and a beginner, or hack. Lotsa levels in between.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Yes, hiking makes one a hiker. Nothing magical, just a definition.
    "it's just walkin"

Lone Wolf

A lens cap fell out of my hand and skittled toward the ledge as I was about to shoot a photo at the Grand Canyon. I took one step to retrieve it and caught myself. The lens cap is still down there, somewhere.

image.jpeg

My GF took this pic of her feet. I wouldnt get anywhere near there. Screw that!

She must be a hiker cause falls are the #1 accident reported.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    She must be a hiker cause falls are the #1 accident reported.
    Tripping over fallen logs is what she does best. That counts as a fall, right?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Tripping over fallen logs is what she does best. That counts as a fall, right?
    i don't think it matters how ya get there, if ya have to get up, you prolly fell.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think this should be required reading before entering Grand Canyon National Park.

51WT288GZFL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    image.jpeg

My GF took this pic of her feet. I wouldnt get anywhere near there. Screw that!
    Is that NOC down below?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I think this should be required reading before entering Grand Canyon National Park.

or this one
    People dont automatically recognize risks in vertical environments, if they arent accustomed to it. Sad but true.
    The number of people that have run on trails, and missed turn and run right off into empty air is alarming
    Likewise for those that fell trying to get a stupid photo
    some have even fallen while clowing around for photo, and pretending to fall

Ill have to read the grand canyon one, the Yosemite book is awesome.

Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-13-2016 at 22:12.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    or this one
    People dont automatically recognize risks in vertical environments, if they arent accustomed to it. Sad but true.
    The number of people that have run on trails, and missed turn and run right off into empty air is alarming
    Likewise for those that fell trying to get a stupid photo
    some have even fallen while clowing around for photo, and pretending to fall

Ill have to read the grand canyon one, the Yosemite book is awesome.

I've read both. If you liked Yosemite, you'll probably love the other one. I think the **** that happens in Grand Canyon is crazier, but they are both great. I remember one in the Yosemite book about the kid that went off a waterfall and his body got lodged between rocks at the base. The rescuers couldn't get it out, so they had to leave it there to rot.

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post

Having hiked the GC, I can tell that I've never felt so close to death. All it would have taken was a momentary lapse in concentration due to the heat or physical exhaustion and it would have been over. After we were done, I bought this book and read it on the way home. I probably would have freaked myself out had I read it before the trip. I liken it to the Google search for "LASIK horror stories" I did the night before my first procedure. That was a bad idea. LOL

On my second or third day in the canyon, we heard from a Ranger that a gentleman in his mid 20's had died the day before after attempting to hike back out without adequate supplies or water. It was 131 degrees that day.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Is that NOC down below?
    Grafton Notch late this Winter. Specifically, Tablerock.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jgillam View Post
    Having hiked the GC, I can tell that I've never felt so close to death. All it would have taken was a momentary lapse in concentration due to the heat or physical exhaustion and it would have been over. After we were done, I bought this book and read it on the way home. I probably would have freaked myself out had I read it before the trip. I liken it to the Google search for "LASIK horror stories" I did the night before my first procedure. That was a bad idea. LOL

On my second or third day in the canyon, we heard from a Ranger that a gentleman in his mid 20's had died the day before after attempting to hike back out without adequate supplies or water. It was 131 degrees that day.
    I also read the book post trip. I had been out there several times before I got my hands on it. I was always cautious, but after reading it the place took on a whole different perspective.

Here's an interesting video I came across.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    The trail is about 8-10 feet wide when it goes by Ooooh Ahhhh point, there is never a need to step that far off for others to pass. she must have simply been not paying attention, cozying up to the edge taking pictures. so sad, but these things happen all the time all over the world. simple dumb slip ups. I've been hiking since I was 10, pretty much year 'round all the time, 10's of thousands of miles and voila, I just did a huge face plant a few weeks ago, coming down an easy trail in Yosemite, 12 stitches, scabs all over my face and hands and a thousand dollar ER bill to show for it. Yeah, I was very lucky. Cest la vie.
    To have fallen 400 feet, she could not have been on the trail. If one fell from the trail at Ooh Aah point, he or she would fall to the trail below which is less than 100 feet below. To have fallen 400 feet, she had to fall off the north side of the point. There is a flat rock where people stand to have their picture taken -- see the attached picture of me and my wife.

As you can see from the picture, the flat rock is fairly narrow. From the description of her fall, I assume that she was standing on the same flat rock and attempted to move over to allow someone else to stand there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Shutterbug

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++