WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default What are LD hiking options in the U.S. during winter time?

I have the goal of hiking the Sierras in late summer. Specifically Tahoe up to Crater Lake on the PCT. Training, research, etc has been part of my daily and I am still very committed to this

However, due to some medical setbacks I may not be able to start hiking until mid September-October range.

Being in the Sierras during October may not be the best situation. And if I go up into the Klamaths even later into November, that may not be the best choice either...

Does anyone have any ideas of doing an alternative 2-3 month hike during the months of possibly September-November that is in the continental U.S.?

As always much appreciated WB!

Images

Being that you are on the East coast, I would suggest the AT and doing Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain, GA as a viable option. Or perhaps the a SOBO on the Florida Trail ??
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Registered Offender

The Hayduke, the Arizona Trail, the Florida Trail, to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Being that you are on the East coast, I would suggest the AT and doing Harper's Ferry to Springer Mountain, GA as a viable option. Or perhaps the a SOBO on the Florida Trail ??
    The only thing is one of my primary purposes of the hike is solitude. I originally was set on the AT and realized the sociable nature of the trail (which is awesome if that's what you're looking for.) Also I want to be more so camping with my tent.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rybir View Post
    The only thing is one of my primary purposes of the hike is solitude. I originally was set on the AT and realized the sociable nature of the trail (which is awesome if that's what you're looking for.) Also I want to be more so camping with my tent.
    Whatever dude.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCut View Post
    Whatever dude.
    Haha, whatever to you too my dude!

But yes, Florida Trail could be okay too, except I am pretty dang familiar with Florida nature. Would be cool to experience something new. But good recs

The AT in the winter is relatively solitary, particularly during the week. You'll see people here and there on the weekends, but not that many except in the busiest areas like Mt. Rogers, GSMNP, etc. Also, you can always camp with your tent except for the smokies.

September-October would be a fairly good time to hike PA's Mid State Trail and neighboring paths also part of Great Eastern Trail. MST has one (to four, depending on what you count) shelter in 525 km. The connecting Crystal Hills Trail has 2 lean-tos in ~45 miles. The connecting Standing Stone Trail has only one shelter in ~80 miles. Pretty much all of these would be nearly deserted except for a few day hikers and those only in very few locations.

November might be good to hike Ozark Highlands Trail or Pinhoti Trail although I would guess (as in PA) much fluorescent orange is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    The AT in the winter is relatively solitary, particularly during the week. You'll see people here and there on the weekends, but not that many except in the busiest areas like Mt. Rogers, GSMNP, etc. Also, you can always camp with your tent except for the smokies.
    Great to know. Thank you!

If solitude is a "primary purpose" the Arizona Trail should work for you. Hike it southbound because it is still pretty hot in southern Arizona in September. On the Arizona trail you may hike for days without seeing anyone.
    Shutterbug

September 1. CDT. SOBO from Silverton, CO. It may, or may not, take 2 months to get to the border.
    I plan to be in the neighborhood. Wave when you go by.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    If solitude is a "primary purpose" the Arizona Trail should work for you. Hike it southbound because it is still pretty hot in southern Arizona in September. On the Arizona trail you may hike for days without seeing anyone.
    That sounds wonderful.

I am a first time LD hiker. Water source and resupply points definitely seem to be more sparse. But with enough research I am sure I can do it.

+1 on Arizona Trail.
    You'll never forget it (in a good way)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Default What are LD hiking options in the U.S. during winter time?

I did the southern section of PCT last November, and i think im going back again this November. It's a good time of year for that.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    +1 on Arizona Trail.
    You'll never forget it (in a good way)
    This Arizona Trail is looking more and more appealing. Almost like you have the whole trail to yourself. Is it okay for a first time hiker though? Or a little bit on the challenging side?

The nice thing about September and October in the west is the lack of crowds after Labor Day.
    For a first timer, the CDT may be an easier logistical solution. Maybe. Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Have you read this?
    http://www.guthookhikes.com/?s=Arizona+&submit=Search
    Wayne

October thru the winter is my fav time in the souther AT....usually you have it mostly to yourself....the sobo from Harper's founds like a good plan to me...easy 3 month hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++