WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Garmin Anyone?

Speaking of the In-Reach, I found using a Sea to Summit field repair buckle easier for pack strap attachment. I was able to operate the buckle one handed more easily than I could the included carabiner.

Garmin1.jpgGarmin2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    Speaking of the In-Reach, I found using a Sea to Summit field repair buckle easier for pack strap attachment. I was able to operate the buckle one handed more easily than I could the included carabiner.

Garmin1.jpgGarmin2.jpg
    That's a good mod.

I was wondering about how to carry. I wasn't planning on using it for tracking or routine communications (to save battery). So is it necessary to carry on the strap (which for me will already have a water bottle and camera).

Not specifically for the InReach, but I've had best success for GPS devices carrying them in the brain of the pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I was wondering about how to carry. I wasn't planning on using it for tracking or routine communications (to save battery). So is it necessary to carry on the strap (which for me will already have a water bottle and camera).
    so you want to carry it just for emergencies then, correct? I would suggest you think about what type of emergencies you would encounter and decide how and where to carry it based on that. For me, I want it on ME at all times so that's either a shoulder strap, a front pocket on the pack, in a shorts pocket or on a belt loop if I have one and it's not in the way there.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

That's a good point. Having at hand could be important. I will play with it a bit pre trip. If I could set it up to track infrequently enough to extend battery life I may use that option. I will use it to check in at the beginning and/or end of each day. Mainly I don't want it to be transmitting continuously as I would like the battery to last 5 days.

I have put my inReach in my brain on trips where my shoulder straps are needed to carry other things and I did not need it for navigation. Whenever the pack comes off for a break I find a spot with less foliage and point it at the sky. May feel like a little longer for satellites to find you,but it can be worth it for comfort or space on shoulder straps.
    I found the carabiner swung too much AND I could not get it off the hook easily enough for navigation. I purchased a Gossamer Gear shoulder pocket for times when I want it close by for navigation. I am rarely on trails where I need navigation frequently but I am usually alone so it's a good investment.
    In terms of access in an emergency--again the carabiner was not a quick access for me so I just wanted the device in/on my pack so I knew it would not fall out/get lost. When fording a river with pack unbuckled I try to find a way to have it on my body.
    I did use the SOS button for the first time this summer when I fell and broke my ankle/tore ligaments while backpacking solo. It is worth the weight, packing conundrums, etc. I cannot backpack in 2022 but I have already re-started my subscription so I can use it for my rehab snowshoe and day hikes.
    AT Nobo 2013; NPT-2014-2019; NCT-PA miles 0- and CNY miles 0-53

That's a good point. Having at hand could be important. I will play with it a bit pre trip. If I could set it up to track infrequently enough to extend battery life I may use that option. I will use it to check in at the beginning and/or end of each day. Mainly I don't want it to be transmitting continuously as I would like the battery to last 5 days.
    I know you can send a link of your track when you send out the "starting my hike" message. (or any other message) I wonder if you aren't actively tracking if someone could still see your location using that link????
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by One Half View Post
    I know you can send a link of your track when you send out the "starting my hike" message. (or any other message) I wonder if you aren't actively tracking if someone could still see your location using that link????
    I ended up buying a used unit which is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll set up the account, read the owners manual, and start playing with it to see which features best fits my needs.

I ended up buying a used unit which is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I'll set up the account, read the owners manual, and start playing with it to see which features best fits my needs.
    Watch some videos and join look at some forums for hints. The manual helps you set up but doesn’t necessarily give you the pluses and minuses of various options. Make sure you practice and understand limitations. You will not always have clear satellite access so may need to wait. Messaging in/out is not instantaneous like your daily cell phone use so practice so you know what to expect.

Earlier you mentioned battery life. I carry mine for SOS and occasional updates and communication with wife or fellow hikers on same trail. I have gotten five days use on a single charge with careful use/settings.

...Earlier you mentioned battery life. I carry mine for SOS and occasional updates and communication with wife or fellow hikers on same trail. I have gotten five days use on a single charge with careful use/settings.
    This upcoming hike is 5 days in the Grand Canyon, so I could definitely use 5 days.

Images

I have the mini, and I use the unlimited text messages when I go out - This way, I can have my husband call ahead and make reservations at hostel/hotel when I know I'm a day or two from town and have no service. It's also nice when I'm alone and a bit lonely to talk to him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++