WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default Al Roker and the Nor-easter

Caught a few moments of Al Roker today talking about this week's forcasted Nor-easter. He got a bit worked up talking about snowfall totals and showed graphics of greater and lesser intensity. I guess the deep color in Massachusetts was supposed to show how deep the snow would be. Mentioned Boston excitedly a couple of times, especially in context of canceled flights.

Al, you totally ignored the South. You said nothing about MY snow. Finished my breakfast, gathered my things, and walked out the door, and found my truck covered in snow. Here we are in the middle of March and this is at least the third snowfall in the last ten days. But you didn't mention it. I'm so offended.

Good thing the kids are on Spring Break, or we would have had to cancel school.
    Last edited by illabelle; 03-13-2018 at 10:00.

You're DOOMED. Start making out the will!

I haven't paid attention to a commercial weather report in years. They all try to sell the sizzle, not the steak. Every storm becomes a winter cyclone bomb popsicle death machine, hide the children!

NOAA gives you all the details you need, specific to your area, without any incentives to sell advertising.

Amen!
    If it doesn’t happen in the Megalopolis, it didn’t happen and ain’t worth tv time.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    You're DOOMED. Start making out the will!

I haven't paid attention to a commercial weather report in years. They all try to sell the sizzle, not the steak. Every storm becomes a winter cyclone bomb popsicle death machine, hide the children!

NOAA gives you all the details you need, specific to your area, without any incentives to sell advertising.
    Haha, that's an appropriately dramatic description!

And since when do we need to name these winter "storms"? I agree...all hype.

Good one, Puddlefish. To paraphrase Lone Wolf, it's just winter. Shovel, shovel, toil and trouble...

Up in the mountains of VT and NH and Me where the AT runs, late season snow is frozen gold for the ski areas and snow machine industry. Up until the most recent storm the woods were getting thin and the snow machine trails were getting closed due to lack of snow cover. Ski areas pretty well make their own snow as needed but a good natural snow fall saves them a lot of money compared to running the pumps and compressors. It also gets folks up to the slopes because of "fresh powder".

When your driveway looks like this in east Tn, then you'll make the news Oh yea, it just started snowing 5 minutes ago and not forecast to stop for 3 days!
    SAM_3759.JPG
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Up in the mountains of VT and NH and Me where the AT runs, late season snow is frozen gold for the ski areas and snow machine industry. Up until the most recent storm the woods were getting thin and the snow machine trails were getting closed due to lack of snow cover. Ski areas pretty well make their own snow as needed but a good natural snow fall saves them a lot of money compared to running the pumps and compressors. It also gets folks up to the slopes because of "fresh powder".
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    When your driveway looks like this in east Tn, then you'll make the news Oh yea, it just started snowing 5 minutes ago and not forecast to stop for 3 days!
    SAM_3759.JPG
    One of the primary reasons for my post was to make you "Nor-easters" jealous of our spring. Can't see them in my truck picture, but we have daffodils and hyacinth and forsythia and Bradford pears in bloom. But that's all right. Y'all can enjoy your shuvvelin'.

Journal Entries

People just used to say "look, its snowin"

If it snowed with wind.and high snowfall " looks like were havin a blizzard." Bring enough wood in fer a couple days.

If you want to know what TWC is about....go to their website. Unmanageable amount of clickbait and scripts. It about selling ads......not weather.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-13-2018 at 11:31.

My favorite was the last hurricane to hit eastern Florida. A rabid weatherman on HLN was red faced and panicked, telling all Florida residents “if you don’t evacuate, you are all going to die!...and your kids will die too!”

generating panic that created runs on stores and banks, traffic jams , needless stress and panic. Walmart crowd injured a lady by trampling while she was getting cat food. Needless panic.

I like these snowstorms. Paid day off when they close work.

We're well aware that it is spring everywhere but in the North East. I posted my picture to make you jealous of all our snow

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Sky View Post
    And since when do we need to name these winter "storms"? I agree...all hype.
    Since the weather channel decided to try BSing the public into thinking they were some type of authority figure.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    We're well aware that it is spring everywhere but in the North East. I posted my picture to make you jealous of all our snow
    I admit that it is exciting to get several inches of snow - and disappointing when the worst we get all winter is some lame frost. This winter has been weird. We had single digit temperatures in Dec/Jan (not sure exactly when), and then in late February we had several days of record high temperatures - upper 70s! Crazy and mixed-up weather. We've had several snowfalls, but not enough to play in.

I'm hitting the trail the next three weekends, so I'm ready for seasonably cool temperatures without significant winter precipitation.

My father worked at the home depot for a few years in MA. Every storm they would sell out of shovels. The Market Basket would be cleaned out next door.

It's the same phenomenon right before every big snow storm of the winter here in New England.

He said its almost as if people would throw out their shovels after every storm. Like how can so many people all need shovels.

I have two snow shovels. That I've had for 10+ years.

And stocking up on food. The media just makes things worth. They make it sound like your going to starve. In reality, most suburbs of Massachusetts are cooking up steaks and stuffed raviolis during power outerages... Yeah... Really dodged a bullet there.

Most folks in NH get ready for a storm by getting a 30 pack of Bud light to brave "the record breaking" storm we are always having.

Now... People who actually struggle. The homeless, people with no heat, young children without food. That's extremely difficult in New England storms. Yet.. right up the street a family of five is completely plugged in, burning gallons of gas an hour on the generator, cooking up whatever they want, and taking long hot showers.. really "hunkering down" for the storm.

It's sad

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I've pretty much worn out my shovel, almost time for a new one. I go through one every couple of seasons.

Perhaps, the complainers should consider not obtaining weather reports from celebrity status meteorologists and highly choreographed weather news sources? Although, those scantily clad women meteorologists in low cut blouses with Hollywood smiles in high heels flittering across the stage engaging in the occasional joke do provide entertainment value with the weather report.

I'd like to name storms after hiker and WB user names.

A winter storm warning for Big Cranky has been issued as it slams the higher elevations of the eastern seaboard
    Hurricane Saltysack is devastating the coastlines of the Gulf of Mexico
    Slow moving tropical storm Slo-go-en has been upgraded to a Category 4 hurricane with sustained winds of...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    One of the primary reasons for my post was to make you "Nor-easters" jealous of our spring. Can't see them in my truck picture, but we have daffodils and hyacinth and forsythia and Bradford pears in bloom. But that's all right. Y'all can enjoy your shuvvelin'.
    Wait 'till summer then we'll see who's laughing. Not us.

We got one good 8" snow out here in central NC earlier this year. Good enough for me.
    It's all good in the woods.

I hear yet another storm is brewing for us middle of next week. In between temps will dip back into the single digits for a night or two. A report out today from Princeton connects a warming artic to increased Nor'easter activity and colder temps in New England. We had some big late season storms last year too. Starting to look like a new normal.

Glad to see I've been up graded to a cat 4 storm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++