WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    What strikes me as the most significant opportunity afforded by the GET is the opportunity for a big circuit hike.

When the Schuylkill River Trail is complete, Matty will be able to hike from Philly to Port Clinton where he'll be able to hike the AT SOBO to the GET NOBO to the AT SOBO to Port Clinton. He can celebrate completing his circuit hike at Port Clinton Hotel before heading back home without spending a penny on gas money.
    Or maybe cross over the river after taking a part that's done, to the Horse-Shoe Trail; over 60 years of REAL yellow blazes from Valley Forge scratching the bottom of The Green Diamond on its way to, um, well let's say, the Doyle. (Camping restrictions and roadwalks? Maybe a few...)

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    OK, here goes on a whole bunch of subjectivity, based on day-hiking and/or weekending most of the 2.5 trails you mention, and on other information, but NOT representing any view of any organization I may be affiliated with.

Let's say one would be crossing the Potomac into Hancock, Md., where the two routes split. Hancock probably has adequate resupply opportunity, motel, a couple choices of modest restaurants, and a nice little bike shop but no outfitter.

....The east route heads out of Hancock on PATC's Tuscarora Trail. Camping is an immediate challenge on the towpath, roads, county park, roads, and PA Game Lands where treadway then adds to the challenge. See http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4974 , http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6211 , and http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5400 for some passages through here. Pretty high up at the US 30 crossing but PATC moved the path 1/4 mile downhill from the summit bar. North of US 30 east route enters State Forest with legal but dry camping, then Cowans Gap State Park, then follows a stream to near another PATC cabin. Head uphill now on Standing Stone Trail http://www.hike-sst.org/highlights.htm ,
    ... -Would I, the WB reader, prefer to hike the GET or the A.T. across PA: Hike both and let us know!!
    Hancock, MD was a great resupply point. Motel, library, small grocery, good restaurants, laundry. As well as a hiker/biker hostel.

There is a road walk out of Hancock once you depart from the towpath. (The towpath is a lovely walk and for some one who does not want to stay in a motel there is a pretty campsite.) Halfway on the road walk is a nice city park with water and restrooms. There are a couple of small water sources during the course of the day. At some point we crossed over into PA. We camped as soon as we returned to the woods and made our way up to the top of the ridge the next day, but it is doable in one day's walk out of town if you don't dally.

The first half of the ridge was "very PA" rocky, but interesting with nice views. The is no water up there so bring up enough to get to the next shelter. We took a quick hitch into McConnellsburg. Stay at a motel - restaurant combo. Cheap rooms and good food. The owner gave us a ride back to the trail in the morning.

From that road (Rt 16) is was less then half a day's walk to Cowan SP. It was a nice hike on well maintain trail. There is a nice shelter just prior to reaching the park. The park was nice with a great concession stand and swimming.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=196228

I can't wait to return to this area. There are some game lands that may pose as a campsite issue one night from what I could see but that was about it. Mapleton has a motel and there is a PO & laundry about a mile from the motel. -- The State Park (can't recall the name at this moment)was willing to hold a food drop for me as we got further north.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by Hammock Hanger View Post
    I can't wait to return to this area.
    Thanks, HH! We can't wait to meet you; once you're healed, we can't wait to meet you on the trail!!

Images

Or maybe cross over the river after taking a part that's done, to the Horse-Shoe Trail; over 60 years of REAL yellow blazes from Valley Forge scratching the bottom of The Green Diamond on its way to, um, well let's say, the Doyle. (Camping restrictions and roadwalks? Maybe a few...)
    Little loops are good too and fit more hiker's schedules. I think a circuit beginning and ending at Harpers Ferry taking in parts of West Virginia would also appeal to me. I'm sure I could get a shuttle to Morgantown.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I can't wait to return to this area. There are some game lands that may pose as a campsite issue one night from what I could see but that was about it. Mapleton has a motel and there is a PO & laundry about a mile from the motel. -- The State Park (can't recall the name at this moment)was willing to hold a food drop for me as we got further north.
    ::: Dino ears perk up :::
    So when are we going? When can you and Ki0eh make it?

Little loops are good too and fit more hiker's schedules. I think a circuit beginning and ending at Harpers Ferry taking in parts of West Virginia would also appeal to me. I'm sure I could get a shuttle to Morgantown.
    PA or WV?

Images

Default Which Morgantown?

Either, whether or not I wear a Mountaineer cap. Were I looking for a ride here, I'd wear a Nittany Lion cap instead.

Were I looking for a ride here, I'd wear a Nittany Lion cap instead.
    THERE's closer to the GET than either Morgantown. And you doubted it would be cooler??

Images

Anyone who knows anything about Pennsylvania knows State College is cooler than Harrisburg. It's all that hot air and smoke down by the Susquehanna.

They really need to do something about the smoke and if they except AT shelters, I'm hiking the MST instead.

The City of Harrisburg curbside recycling program includes glass and metals. No plastics or paper as they have Btu value. Then it goes up in smoke in the City incinerator for steam to heat... the Capitol Complex.

Now you know - it truly is garbage fueled hot air!

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    ::: Dino ears perk up :::
    So when are we going? When can you and Ki0eh make it?
    How about this weekend?!? http://www.thebackpacker.com/trips/trip/1473.php

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Would love to, but my son's fiancee is graduating from nursing school on Saturday.

Just added this statement to the GET website:

"Presently the GET is fully hikeable from the Allegheny Trail at I-64 exit 1, just east of the VA/WV border, northward through portions of VA, WV, all of MD, all of PA, to Maple Street in the Village of Addison, NY."

Care to talk again about where to hike, as a break from the weekly maps vs. GPS threads?

Thanks KiOeh for the info. Question, are there any ares that don't allow dogs? I always hike with mine and he is kept onleash.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    Thanks KiOeh for the info. Question, are there any ares that don't allow dogs? I always hike with mine and he is kept onleash.
    There are definitely leash restrictions on private lands, state parks, FS recreation areas, and in towns. Other than that, a quick glance at the Allegheny, Tuscarora, Mid State, Standing Stone trail guides does not immediately reveal any blanket dog prohibition areas (although it's possible I might have missed something).

I'll let someone else answer for the southern sections (Pine Mountain, Cumberland, Pinhoti).

Images

Just added this statement to the GET website:

"Presently the GET is fully hikeable from the Allegheny Trail at I-64 exit 1, just east of the VA/WV border, northward through portions of VA, WV, all of MD, all of PA, to Maple Street in the Village of Addison, NY."

Care to talk again about where to hike, as a break from the weekly maps vs. GPS threads?
    So if I pick the hike back up from Cowans Gap, is it blazed all the way through to this Village in NY?? Can you give me a quick guesstimate of the milage from CGSP to VofA. Nothing you have to work out just a guess.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

So if I pick the hike back up from Cowans Gap, is it blazed all the way through to this Village in NY?? Can you give me a quick guesstimate of the milage from CGSP to VofA. Nothing you have to work out just a guess.
    ~3 miles TT (blue) from CGSP up to the current junction + 70 miles of SST (orange) + 6 miles of Greenwood Spur Mid State Trail (currently blue) + 191 miles Mid State Trail (orange, except as noted below) + ~10 miles in NY (orange) = 290 miles.

As of right now there aren't blazes on 8.5 miles out of the 191 miles of MST near the north end, however the route around follows public roads (7 mi dirt, 1.5 mi paved). See the purple dashed line on http://www.hike-mst.org/Maps/TSF-HCSP.pdf - we've had a few people go through already and have managed to survive. Although there is a loose dog on a farm at the corner of Johnson Hill and Ashley Roads.

Images

~3 miles TT (blue) from CGSP up to the current junction + 70 miles of SST (orange) + 6 miles of Greenwood Spur Mid State Trail (currently blue) + 191 miles Mid State Trail (orange, except as noted below) + ~10 miles in NY (orange) = 290 miles.

As of right now there aren't blazes on 8.5 miles out of the 191 miles of MST near the north end, however the route around follows public roads (7 mi dirt, 1.5 mi paved). See the purple dashed line on http://www.hike-mst.org/Maps/TSF-HCSP.pdf - we've had a few people go through already and have managed to survive. Although there is a loose dog on a farm at the corner of Johnson Hill and Ashley Roads.
    Thanks ki0eh!!

You are good and fast!!

I can't wait to get back out there.

Sue/HH

Not that good, that actually adds to 280 not 290 with the morning caffeine starting to kick in.

The GET website is now http://www.greateasterntrail.net - the .org site passed through too many hands and was lost to pirates.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++