WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear Recommendations for The Whites

I'm planning on hiking through the Whites in June and I am in the market for some new gear suitable for the trip. Can any recommend:

(1) A Durable Rain Jacket ~ Preferably under $150
    (2) A Durable Tarp/Tarp Shelter ~ Preferably under $75

Marmot Precip for a rain jacket, or a frog toggs for less money.

For a durable tarp for under $75? Probably not. Ever done any overnight hikes before?

Yup, half a dozen 2-3 trips, and several week long trips. I've actually always managed with just a hardware store tarp believe it or not. That was mostly in the Catskills though, which is why I'm looking for a more durable option for the Whites. What is the cheapest tarp you could recommend in good conscience? I'm on a pretty tight student budget here...

You could use the same tarp you've used in the past. The trails in the Whites are rugged and the ridgelines and summits are exposed, but there is nothing that says you need an especially durable shelter as long as you are camping down below treeline, where most of the camping areas are anyway.

If you want something significantly more durable and under $75, the best option is probably a good old-fashion polyeurathane coated nylon tarp readily available from any local outdoor outfitter. The only real down side to a coated nylon tarp that they weigh about the same as the tarp you've been using, so, not super ultralight, just reasonably light. It's what many of us backpacked with for decades.

Have fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Hardware store tarp is good enough if you are on a budget. Most important thing to carry with you is comon sense and a healthy respect for the elements and weather. Stay off the ridgelines in bad weather. Don't become another statistic.

I think my etowah tarp was 85$. 8x10 weight is 13 oz can't beat it. Another 10 bucks for shock cord and guy lines and you'll be all set. Call him he'll talk all day about tarps. Very helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And ems has 20% off full priced and clearance Items right now.

First this is from a minimalist view:

Rain Jacket - Frog Toggs includes jacket and pants for under $ 30.00. Add plastic or nylon water proof poncho. This will provide your ground tarp for the next idea.

Tarp - Plastic used to protect a new mattress. You can get them free from furniture stores. You can use duct tape to reinforce tie points (takes practice) or use rocks (rapped with the plastic and takes insight) at tie points to secure. It requires practice to set up, but will out perform a tarp tent when set up right. Many will argue that condensation will be a problem and that is only the case if air flow is not allowed. If it is humid with no breeze or wind, cowboy camp. This will work with a hammock or in winter with experience. Cost is free and much less weight than tents.

Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Leaning towards the Marmot Precip, but multiple reviews say that the lining flakes off after a year, so I may opt for a slightly pricier model. And a mattress cover is a bit too minimalist for me. Based on the advice above, I think I'll try to stick with my old tarp, and bring extra duct tape for potential repairs.

Bring a head net, bugs will be out.

A lot of folks forget the longest sunlight of the year is June 21st. Plan on sunrise by 5 and sunset around 8:30 PM. If you pace yourself you can put in long miles.

Quote Originally Posted by meditatively613 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations so far.

Leaning towards the Marmot Precip, but multiple reviews say that the lining flakes off after a year, so I may opt for a slightly pricier model. And a mattress cover is a bit too minimalist for me. Based on the advice above, I think I'll try to stick with my old tarp, and bring extra duct tape for potential repairs.
    I've had mine three years and no flaking. Maybe people aren't letting it dry out?

Frogg Toggs are effective and cheap. They're bulky, though, so in no way "minimalist." Don't ever put them in the dryer, or leave them by the campfire to dry them out. They're ugly as sin and if you're wearing your Frogg Toggs while hitching into town, you'll never get a ride.

So count me as a fan but with realistic expectations.

Best tarp for the $$
    Kelty noah

I was surprised how well the Frog Toggs worked and for a short trip like this, would be fine. Spend your money on a proper shelter. The bugs will be out so a simple tarp isn't going to be much fun. You will also be camping primarily on wooded tent platforms. Something self supporting is the best option.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Frogg toggs $20.

Spend the rest on a nice tarp and a fresh pair of darn toughs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++