WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Hike the "MST In A Day" - Sept 9, 2017

The Friends of the Mountains to Sea Trail (MST) will be hosting the "MST In A Day" event on September 9th. The goal is to put feet on every leg of the MST from Clingmans's Dome to Jockey's Ridge on that day.

Official Registration for each leg is being done through MeetUp groups listed on: https://mountainstoseatrail.org/event/mst-in-a-day/

Join if you want to hike the North Carolina rural corridors and backcountry:
    Great Smoky Mountains
    Blue Ridge Parkway
    Mt Mitchell
    Linville Gorge
    Wilson Creek Area Backcountry
    Stone Mtn SP
    Pilot Mtn SP
    Hanging Rock SP
    Eno River SP
    Falls Lake
    Neuse River
    Eastern NC Gamelands
    Eastern NC Rural Roads
    Eastern NC Paddle Route
    Outer Bank Beaches

If a leg is full, don't let that deter you from hiking the MST.

Weather is looking mostly favorable for the 9th.
    Last edited by Tennessee Viking; 09-07-2017 at 09:38.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I'd like to sign up for any section which can be bicycled because they're actually bike paths. It doesn't matter which flat paved incredibly long section without water or services of any kind it is, though I'd prefer the ones away from high density population centers or cities if there are any. Are there any? I guess Asheville would be alright as it is at least close to the mountains near a real trail and the homeless folks are pretty cool unlike the hungrier ones near Winston Salem Durham Raleigh or Fayetteville. I guess since I'll have the bike it won't matter that camping is illegal all over the place since I can just ride to a hotel somewhere. If I can find it and my way off the trail to it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Curious G View Post
    I'd like to sign up for any section which can be bicycled because they're actually bike paths. It doesn't matter which flat paved incredibly long section without water or services of any kind it is, though I'd prefer the ones away from high density population centers or cities if there are any. Are there any? I guess Asheville would be alright as it is at least close to the mountains near a real trail and the homeless folks are pretty cool unlike the hungrier ones near Winston Salem Durham Raleigh or Fayetteville. I guess since I'll have the bike it won't matter that camping is illegal all over the place since I can just ride to a hotel somewhere. If I can find it and my way off the trail to it.
    But I thought you really liked the MST and were recommending it to everyone? I already scheduled two weeks vacation to hike a big chunk of it based on your recommendation. Why the change of heart??????
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries
    Images

@Curious G - A lot of the route has changed with the last couple years especially in eastern NC. The new road routes visit more public lands and visit more small towns now. Published guides and updates have listings of services and trail angels.

@Malto: Let me know of any inquiries on what sections you are walking.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    @Curious G - A lot of the route has changed with the last couple years especially in eastern NC. The new road routes visit more public lands and visit more small towns now. Published guides and updates have listings of services and trail angels.

@Malto: Let me know of any inquiries on what sections you are walking.
    This guy visited the MST this past Spring in the Raleigh area. I went a few rounds with him on another thread. He will probably have something negative to say about your post and this post. He is fixated on hating the MST and anyone that supports it. The best thing to do is ignore him. We should have over 1300 hikers on the MST Trail tomorrow in spite of Curious G.

I've got a group of 5 walking 4 segments in 14b, just down the road from the house.

Looking forward to helping make history!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    This guy visited the MST this past Spring in the Raleigh area. I went a few rounds with him on another thread. He will probably have something negative to say about your post and this post. He is fixated on hating the MST and anyone that supports it. The best thing to do is ignore him. We should have over 1300 hikers on the MST Trail tomorrow in spite of Curious G.
    More misinformation from the MST Glee Club I do not hate anyone or anything but I do take exception to folks selling something as wonderful and complete when that's just not the case. Now let's keep it honest and pretend like you were sending your kids into the unknown and tell us the truth - there are many places along the incomplete MST that should be avoided because they aren't really a trail in the strictest sense and/or pass by places that are not safe.

Why not tell us where the great parts are and tell us what to avoid so folks don't have an experience with "your" "trail" like I did this spring. Or would you sell us half a parachute? A car that runs half the time? A boat that floats mostly? A bullet proof vest that stops almost all bullets?

I'm glad you will be making history together and your trail is nearly almost virtually more than half finished. Tell people that so they can enjoy the parts that are actual trail and avoid the inner city parks where they could be mugged or arrested for vagrancy or the private properties in an open carry state where they could be shot for trespassing. Please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious G View Post
    More misinformation from the MST Glee Club I do not hate anyone or anything but I do take exception to folks selling something as wonderful and complete when that's just not the case. Now let's keep it honest and pretend like you were sending your kids into the unknown and tell us the truth - there are many places along the incomplete MST that should be avoided because they aren't really a trail in the strictest sense and/or pass by places that are not safe.

Why not tell us where the great parts are and tell us what to avoid so folks don't have an experience with "your" "trail" like I did this spring. Or would you sell us half a parachute? A car that runs half the time? A boat that floats mostly? A bullet proof vest that stops almost all bullets?

I'm glad you will be making history together and your trail is nearly almost virtually more than half finished. Tell people that so they can enjoy the parts that are actual trail and avoid the inner city parks where they could be mugged or arrested for vagrancy or the private properties in an open carry state where they could be shot for trespassing. Please and thank you.
    Just like I said earlier--so predictable. Got to go. Walking a leg of the MST in about an hour with 1300 other hikers. We will all have a great day hiking the entire Mountains to Sea Trail in one day. The MST website will be posting completions on a map as each hiker sends in the finish of their leg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Chief View Post
    Just like I said earlier--so predictable. Got to go. Walking a leg of the MST in about an hour with 1300 other hikers. We will all have a great day hiking the entire Mountains to Sea Trail in one day. The MST website will be posting completions on a map as each hiker sends in the finish of their leg.
    What's predictable is how these dudes continuously skirt the issue that the MST is - depending on how you look at it - either half finished, or half unfinished.

Default Hike the "MST In A Day" - Sept 9, 2017

By the way, bullet proof vests don't stop all bullets unfortunately.

My family of four combined to cover 11.8 miles of "unfinished" trail today. A good chunk of this went past state game lands and more of it went past land owned by distant relatives and long time family friends. One day it will be complete, until then HYOH.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    My family of four combined to cover 11.8 miles of "unfinished" trail today. A good chunk of this went past state game lands and more of it went past land owned by distant relatives and long time family friends. One day it will be complete, until then HYOH.
    Sorry I'm kinda new to this so I'm guessing HYOH is MST code for Hitch Your Own Hike? When you get to the 1/2 of the trail that's roads or highway you just Hitch Your Own Hike until you get to the state game lands and old cousin Scooter's late BFF's spread where in both instances there is no camping. Cool.

Journal Entries
    Images

From the reports I got, all the legs of the MST In A Day were filled.

I myself did the dreaded Beacon Heights climb - Roseborough Rd to Beacon Heights overlook. 2500' climb in 6 miles. The last mile being pretty much rock.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    From the reports I got, all the legs of the MST In A Day were filled.

I myself did the dreaded Beacon Heights climb - Roseborough Rd to Beacon Heights overlook. 2500' climb in 6 miles. The last mile being pretty much rock.
    I've done this piece of trail both ways. Much easier starting at Beacon Heights so hats off to you. On the MST website you can find a map that shows all walking legs completed across the State. Some paddlers on the Neuse River for the paddling option had to skip Saturday due to their efforts dealing with Hurricane Irma. Now we can put all our attention on Jennifer Pharr Davis as she walks the Trail across the State.

Journal Entries
    Images

The leg was on your own. So I figured I could either head back down or get a friend to pick me up at BH. Being half old forest road helped a lot. I went with the pickup.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Great write up by Jerry Barker about Saturday's hike(s).

https://mountainstoseatrail.org/2017...st-in-one-day/
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

++ New Posts ++