WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Anish definitely carried a SPOT device, and I've seen references to her having released the data at some point after the hike, though I've never found it posted.
    Anish carried a Spot and it's listed in her AT gear list on her webpage.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiehikergirl View Post
    Evidently she hitched at least once so there goes the unsupported record
    Also said people left her trail magic because knew where she would be. She said "calamine lotion and stuff"

So doesn't sound like she was aware of standards for self supported, which isn't hard to believe.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I'm not very technical but I've been following journals and video logs the last couple of years to get ideas. One photo is how I've always seen this sign and it's different in her photo, back the front.
    Photo sorta suggests that she isn't simply ignorant of the "rules", but intentionally​ fabricating.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Photo sorta suggests that she isn't simply ignorant of the "rules", but intentionally​ fabricating.
    Reverse image of a photo alone wouldn't be fabrication

Journal Entries
    Images

Not sure I understand the fuss about hitch hiking to a town or hostel.

Hasn't that been the traditional way to thru hike since time began?

Is your point that she only bettered the supported record that was just established by Karl (if she did everything she claims) but Anish's unsupported record would still stand?

Or that she would hold the supported record, together with a record for the fastest hike in a tradional manner?

One question about the hitch would be where she got back on trail. That's a 50 mile trip south from pickup to dropoff in Waynesboro.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    One question about the hitch would be where she got back on trail. That's a 50 mile trip south from pickup to dropoff in Waynesboro.
    That was lost on me.

Hitching 50 miles off the AT to a Hostel, and then hitching 50 miles back to the AT where you left it would be HIGHLY unusual under any circumstances.

To be clear, you are saying that she hitched 50 miles away from the AT to reach that hostel?

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    With the number of people vouching for her, something must have happened. She'll be on the Ten Junk Miles podcast Thursday, which should make an interesting listen whatever your opinion.
    I'll have to subscribe to that podcast just to listen to their interview with her. Her 'trailer' videos being posted on 03SEP and already stating that she is breaking a world record indicate that the story was written and decided well before any accomplishment was completed. That coupled with her donations going to her personal paypal account make the whole smell even more fishy than the lack of data and required pace involved.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    That was lost on me.

Hitching 50 miles off the AT to a Hostel, and then hitching 50 miles back to the AT where you left it would be HIGHLY unusual under any circumstances.

To be clear, you are saying that she hitched 50 miles away from the AT to reach that hostel?
    Swift run gap is 1282.3 on the trail. Waynesboro is only 4 miles from where the trail comes through Rockfish gap at 1327.8. Would have been very easy to just bypass that section.

Images

That was lost on me.

not 50 miles AWAY from the trail, 50 miles DOWN the trail.

if youre going to participate in a discussion like this, maybe have some basic trail geography? these arent obscure locations that no one is familiar with...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post

if youre going to participate in a discussion like this, maybe have some basic trail geography? these arent obscure locations that no one is familiar with...
    So the hitch is something like 40 miles off the trail, right?

When the prior post said it was a 50 mile trip (not hike) I had assumed that he was referring the the car ride. The 10 mile delta IS hardly important to the discussion, however.

The point should be clear: It would be highly unusual for any thru hiker to hitch 40 or 50 miles away from the trail for a 1 night hostel stay, and then hitch such a long distance back to where the got off. i can't even imagine that, can you?

As for geography of the trail, please let me assure you that if I wasn't aware of how far that hitch was, there are scores or hundreds of other people reading this thread who were not either.

Really? Seriously, you must not read much on WhiteBlaze. If having knowledge about the trail was required WhiteBlaze would be a ghost town.

I think your reply was a little harsh. He was simply asking for clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    In selfie-mode, some cameras take a mirror - or reverse - image. I don't think you can use the photo as fact of anything.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Overreact much?

I knew the distances because I was curious, had a moment, and looked them up. Not knowing it off the top of your head isn't cause to be insulted. Give him a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiehikergirl View Post
    Where on Facebook was this posted?

This gives us another data point. We don't know the time, but Billie Beartrap took her from Swift Run Gap to Stanimal's Hostel in Waynesboro on Sept. 4th. She then tells Stanimal's that the 4th was a 53 mile day and appears to have been dropped off at Rockfish gap the next morning at 6AM. This seems to confirm a bypass of that 46.5 mile trail section.
    Stanimals.png
    Last edited by CalebJ; 09-21-2016 at 08:35.

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    I'll bite- and I can't speak for every woman- but many women feel that reclaiming their bodies is empowering. Sort of the idea that we should stop thinking of women's breasts as existing solely to titillate and excite men (or for the male gaze) and see them as merely another part of a woman's body that has no overt sexual connotations, like how men are free to walk around shirtless.

I suppose you could extrapolate for the entire body- public nudity is perhaps one way to say that "this is my body, I have control over how I present it," which, for many women who have endured a LIFETIME of being told to cover up or show more skin or whatever, is entirely liberating.

Remember, rape and sexual assault is about controlling the victim; the right to consent is taken away. Choosing how to present one's own body after an experience like that can be healing.

Dunno if she's into the whole #freethenipple movement or if that's even her reasoning, but there's a possible explanation.

No, you will not see me shirtless on the AT. I have a career to think about and my mother would kill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome post!
    And lol about your mother. My daughter participates in free the nipple...

Images

So the hitch is something like 40 miles off the trail, right?

youre still not getting it. swift run gap and waynesboro are both places, essentially, ON the trail. at no point in her hitch was she ever 40, or 50, or probably not even 10 miles OFF the trail. she was driven in a car parallel to the trail.

perhaps you consider being moved 50 miles down the trail from the point at which you got into a car being taken "off the trail" by 50 miles. maybe thats the confusion. i dont think many people would ever call being driven to wayenesboro being taken 50 miles off the trail.

if i get a ride from springer to katahdin, have i been driven 2000+ miles off the trail?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    In selfie-mode, some cameras take a mirror - or reverse - image. I don't think you can use the photo as fact of anything.
    Thanks for the correction.

Stanimals 2.png
    I think we can write this off for good now. She shuttled to Stanimals and skipped a section, taking a nero instead, then picked up after the day off at Rockfish Gap. Time to move on!
    Last edited by CalebJ; 09-21-2016 at 09:02.

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++