WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

My son is using an old Kelty like your kelty-w picture. Except his does not have that green pouch on the back. otherwise looks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    My son is using an old Kelty like your kelty-w picture. Except his does not have that green pouch on the back. otherwise looks the same.
    I mean Kelty-2 picture.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    My statement assumes a NOBO hike starting in April.

Agreed, it isn't quite winter, but not taking winter gear (20 degree bag, puffy, etc.) on a NOBO hike starting in April is a bad idea IMO.
    Slo lives Up North. For him, what you describe is three-season gear. Winter gear is a MINUS 20 degree bag, a heavy puffy, two sleeping pads, a four season tent, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, ....
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Slo lives Up North. For him, what you describe is three-season gear. Winter gear is a MINUS 20 degree bag, a heavy puffy, two sleeping pads, a four season tent, snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, ....
    I get it. As long as we agree that anyone showing up at Neel Gap in April with an ice axe, crampons, and a four season tent is going to be sending it all home. Plus, we don't care how they do it up North and the OP is from Florida.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    And their gear was very light, too. The earliest Kelty external packs were very light.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Kelty-1.html

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Kelty-2.html
    Cool info. Not sure of the brand, but my first pack looked just like this and it was with me when I walked on the AT for the first time. My dad picked it up at a garage sale.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Camp Trails built an external frame in magnesium. Imagine pairing that with a pack bag made out of X-Pac or Cuben hybrid fabric.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Camp Trails built an external frame in magnesium. Imagine pairing that with a pack bag made out of X-Pac or Cuben hybrid fabric.
    I must not have the magnesium version since my old Camp Trails pack weighs seven pounds! I used to have to first lift it up onto a rock or picnic table to get it onto my back
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I get it. As long as we agree that anyone showing up at Neel Gap in April with an ice axe, crampons, and a four season tent is going to be sending it all home. Plus, we don't care how they do it up North and the OP is from Florida.
    In all fairness, here in Florida, we have days that dip into the low 80's. Burrrrr.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Yup. I don't think I'd bring my deep-winter gear to Georgia in any season. I'd bring microspikes in March, but maybe not bother with them in April.

On the other hand, in actual winter, you're darn tootin' that I'd bring actual winter gear anywhere from Massachusetts north, and I'd only leave the spikes at home from mid-May to mid-October. I've been on the AT in Massachusetts on snowshoes.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by skinnbones View Post
    I can't seem to fit everything into my 65L pack. I don't get it. I only have my tent, rain gear, sleeping bag, pad, and some clothes. I have watched videos and read tips on this forum on how to pack, yet I'm still running out of room. Still need to purchase boots and stove. I have know idea what I'm doing wrong.

On a side note; I have 2 pair of socks, 1 pair of sock liners, camp shoes / water crossing shoes, 1 fleece jacket, 1 wool sweater, 1 pair of trekking pants, 1 wind breaker, 1 pair of long johns, 2 pair of underwear, and 2 shirts. This doesn't seem like an overkill of clothing. Any tips?
    Still waiting on photos of the gear and/or a gear list. Initially I thought I wasn't going to fit all my gear into a ZPacks Arc Haul, but I actually managed to fit (and have room) for a 5 day trip in the 62L pack.

Don't take extra clothes except for your base layer/sleep wear, extra pair of socks and underwear. I have a beanie, buff and pair of gloves too that get stuffed into open spaces in a trash compactor bag to fill the gaps and I have a down puffy jack that gets stuffed in too. Any other clothes should only be the ones you are wearing.

I use a dry sack for my sleeping bag and compress it some, but not like being in a compression sack. I pack my inflatable pad on the bottom, followed by a travel pillow from Walmart. Next goes my sleeping bag and base layer, other clothes, toiletries and puffy. Then I close the trash bag. Next is my food bag and my stove/pot/fuel in a cozy. On top of that is my tent. Outside are my water bottles, filter, scoop cup and squeeze bag, maps, compass, knife, camera, phone, bear spray, bug spray (if necessary), sit-pad/dog bed, tent stakes and food for the day. I have taken water/camp shoes before but ended up finding it easier to cross bare-foot instead in most places (wouldn't do this in high-traffic areas). I generally stuff rain gear (if I take it) in some outside pocket or under compression straps/cord. Right now I only carry an emergency poncho because rain is unlikely. I'd also drop the windbreaker since you already have rain gear...do you really need both?

Images

In all fairness, here in Florida, we have days that dip into the low 80's. Burrrrr.
    Not sure about your neck of the woods, but I'm originally from northern Michigan and I've been MUCH colder (comfort-wise) here in central Florida than I ever got up there. Humidity sucks both in the summer and the winter.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Still waiting on photos of the gear and/or a gear list. Initially I thought I wasn't going to fit all my gear into a ZPacks Arc Haul, but I actually managed to fit (and have room) for a 5 day trip in the 62L pack.

Don't take extra clothes except for your base layer/sleep wear, extra pair of socks and underwear. I have a beanie, buff and pair of gloves too that get stuffed into open spaces in a trash compactor bag to fill the gaps and I have a down puffy jack that gets stuffed in too. Any other clothes should only be the ones you are wearing.

I use a dry sack for my sleeping bag and compress it some, but not like being in a compression sack. I pack my inflatable pad on the bottom, followed by a travel pillow from Walmart. Next goes my sleeping bag and base layer, other clothes, toiletries and puffy. Then I close the trash bag. Next is my food bag and my stove/pot/fuel in a cozy. On top of that is my tent. Outside are my water bottles, filter, scoop cup and squeeze bag, maps, compass, knife, camera, phone, bear spray, bug spray (if necessary), sit-pad/dog bed, tent stakes and food for the day. I have taken water/camp shoes before but ended up finding it easier to cross bare-foot instead in most places (wouldn't do this in high-traffic areas). I generally stuff rain gear (if I take it) in some outside pocket or under compression straps/cord. Right now I only carry an emergency poncho because rain is unlikely. I'd also drop the windbreaker since you already have rain gear...do you really need both?
    Many thanks. Read 3 times to let soak in.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    Not sure about your neck of the woods, but I'm originally from northern Michigan and I've been MUCH colder (comfort-wise) here in central Florida than I ever got up there. Humidity sucks both in the summer and the winter.
    I'm originally from Pennsylvania. Been here almost 6 years and still hate the summers. Gotta loves those Florida winters though. You're from Michigan; ever set a foot on the NCT?

The more you hike the less you will take......cram it all in for the first trip then toss what you didn't use for next trip and so on...I started with a 60l and now down to a 40l with room to spare even with food for 5-6 days....as most have said ditch any extra cloths except for extra pair of hiking socks and sleep wear i.e. Base layer. Only way to see what works for you is to get out there...a good test hike would be to hike the 77 mile foothills trail in the fall...great trail & not terribly far from Fl.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many thanks. Read 3 times to let soak in.
    Hope it helped. I'm heading out on Monday for my longest trip yet...after several shorter trips I have my stuff down to the bare minimum for weight and comfort and safety

What I've found when my pack is fighting me and won't load like I want is usually I've forgotten to loosen one or more compression straps. I've watched other make the same mistake so, make sure the side compression straps are a loose as possible.

I'm currently thru hiking and I pack my clothing loose. Stuff sacks are for food and sleeping bag. I line my pack with a plastic liner from Gossamer Gear so everything is kept dry in a surprise shower (if I can't put on pack cover fast enough). Also, 65L is a rather large pack for a thru hike. I'm working with a 50L (size small so actually more like 47, and I don't use the brain) and it fits just about everything. When I have more than 5 days of food (very rarely), I put my tent on top and cinch the lid down over it.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Images

nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

So much depends on the gear you have...synthetic or down bag and what it's rated to, bulky or light-weight tent with poles or without. Without that information we are helping blindly.

Images

I'm originally from Pennsylvania. Been here almost 6 years and still hate the summers. Gotta loves those Florida winters though. You're from Michigan; ever set a foot on the NCT?
    I have done a couple short sections around Manistee and Traverse City a long while back. I miss that part of the county, especially in the late summer and fall
    Manistee_fall.jpg (Not my photo, purloined from the internet...Manistee River)
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++