WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

That's a cool pic, Slo-go'en, I just wish I had the discipline to lay out all my crap in that style like the old timers used to do back in the 1960s. See---

This pic appears in the book Hiking the Appalachian Trail and the pic is from Owen F. Allen showing his 1960 kit.

The best I can do is this---

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    That's a cool pic, Slo-go'en, I just wish I had the discipline to lay out all my crap in that style like the old timers used to do back in the 1960s. See---

This pic appears in the book Hiking the Appalachian Trail and the pic is from Owen F. Allen showing his 1960 kit.

The best I can do is this---

You could save a few grams if you cut off part of the handle of that spoon.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You could save a few grams if you cut off part of the handle of that spoon.
    It'll break off on its own---that's about my 6th lexan spoon and now replaced with a sea to summit long handle alum spoon.

It'll break off on its own---that's about my 6th lexan spoon and now replaced with a sea to summit long handle alum spoon.
    You need to eat slower. Its a spoon, not a shovel

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    You need to eat slower. Its a spoon, not a shovel
    With half my teeth gone I eat pretty dang slow as it is.

These photos are fascinating. I haven't seen that many Dopp Kits since my neighbor's kids went off to prep school!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Where you going in Co and when?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would like to know also.
    I'm going to Colorado in September and I'm not taking that much stuff.
    One of us may be miserable.
    One more thing. All packs labeled 65 liters are not created equal.
    Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You may wish to qualify that statement, it might be true in many parts of the South and the mid Atlantic, but the northern part of the trail is a different story. Coldest night I've spent on the A.T. So far in New England was -17 degrees (f). Not to mention the required snowshoes, axe and crampons, true four season tent, dead geese etc.
    Beat me to it. I got a -40 deg F one in in the Whites in the early '80s (beats chest). Winter is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

Looks like I'm locked in for sept 18-29....pray for good weather. Lil white stuff wouldn't bother me as long as I can find the trail! Maybe catch the elk bugling...

Journal Entries
    Images

Fill this out, and I'll compile your answers to feed them back to the group for recommendations. My first assumption is that you're carrying a synthetic sleeping bag that, even compressed, fills half of your pack. But we'll find out. :P

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1QNi...8yaCzuGiU/edit

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Wayne

I hope to be starting the CT about Sept 1st. I need to wait to see how I heal up after having two teeth extracted today before committing

There are a few things in my picture I wouldn't normally carry, like the scarf and vest. The vest is good for hiking when you need a little more then just a shirt, but not so cold as to need to really bundle up. I'm not sure how useful the scarf will be, but it's pretty light and doesn't take up much space. We'll see. My bag will be marginal if it gets into the 30's hence the coolmax liner and a fairly large chunk of closed cell foam to put under the Neoair.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I hope to be starting the CT about Sept 1st. I need to wait to see how I heal up after having two teeth extracted today before committing
    This reminds me of having two right lower molars pulled 4 days before a 16 day backpacking trip into the TN mountains. From my trail journal of the crappy event---

TOOTH HOLE
    Almost a week after my molar (past root canal) extractions they are still sore and full of white and yellow pus. I know because I stuck my camera inside and took a flash pic. The cheek side of the gum is inflamed and sore and the dang thing still hurts so I brought out the big guns---a tiny cotton ball soaked in eugenol and placed in the socket for a few minutes, part of a Red Cross Tooth Aid kit. I hope the swelling goes down and the pain stops in the next couple days as I can't stand looking at the close up pic I took as it depresses me so I won't! If my face swells or my lymphs grow in size or the pain gets worse I may have to sit put for a couple days and fast until the blasted thing knits up. The eugenol seems to help a bit.

I don't have any antibiotics btw. Tempit fug it, this too shall pass and time flies. A pulled tooth is usually the end of pain, not the beginning of a full week of crap. I do not have "dry socket" as I hear it is very painful and I'm a pain wimp so the discomfort I feel is exaggerated in my brain when really it is nothing. I do have some pain meds if needed but it'd have to get hellish before they are pulled out. It didn't start hurting today until I washed my face in the cold water of the creek. Maybe I rubbed my cheek the wrong way. Enough whining. Tomorrow I hope to leave on the crocs and pull 5 more creek crossings . . .

What's crappy is they stayed swollen and inflamed up to the very last day of the trip.

Default I have know idea what I'm doing wrong

alright, this might have been said - but do you have 2 pairs of shoes/boots inside your pack? that might be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looks like I'm locked in for sept 18-29....pray for good weather. Lil white stuff wouldn't bother me as long as I can find the trail! Maybe catch the elk bugling...

There are a few things in my picture I wouldn't normally carry, like the scarf and vest. The vest is good for hiking when you need a little more then just a shirt, but not so cold as to need to really bundle up. I'm not sure how useful the scarf will be, but it's pretty light and doesn't take up much space. We'll see. My bag will be marginal if it gets into the 30's hence the coolmax liner and a fairly large chunk of closed cell foam to put under the Neoair.
    Looks like I will be in between you all. Hitting New Mexico about September 2-3-4 and working my north and up in altitude to get used to Colorado. Heading into the Weminuche north of Pagosa Springs with 2 friends from September 10-16.
    I'm taking my 20 degree WM Alpinlite purchased specifically for trips along the Divide this time of year. Could be overkill. Or not enough. We'll see.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

You may wish to qualify that statement, it might be true in many parts of the South and the mid Atlantic, but the northern part of the trail is a different story. Coldest night I've spent on the A.T. So far in New England was -17 degrees (f). Not to mention the required snowshoes, axe and crampons, true four season tent, dead geese etc.
    Elf knows whereof he speaks. Although I think the coldest trip we've been on together only got down to the minus single digits.

Unless you have the bucks to spend on gear like Western Mountaineering, you are going to need a bulky pack in the wintertime. I can't do a long distance hike in deep winter with my 65 litre pack. (I'm really not geared up for deep winter trekking, anyway - I switch to peak-bagging at that time of year. Get in and get out before the weather goes sour.)

The one item on Elf's list that might be optional sometimes is the four-season tent. You'll surely be more comfortable with it, but that is one area where you can trade skill for gear, and a lot of winter mountaineers make do with three-season tents. Tipi Walter will nail me to the wall for saying that.

You need at least limited overnight gear on even a day trip Up North. You might not need enough for everyone in the party, but at least enough for an injured hiker and companion to spend the night, so that a sprained ankle won't mean freezing to death.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    The one item on Elf's list that might be optional sometimes is the four-season tent. You'll surely be more comfortable with it, but that is one area where you can trade skill for gear, and a lot of winter mountaineers make do with three-season tents. Tipi Walter will nail me to the wall for saying that.
    No I won't! But I'm putting you on my personal Watch List and will it take your comment under advisement until I reach a final opinion.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

The OP is starting in April and while it can get chilly in early April, it isn't exactly winter.
    Wait a minute, you're up in Randolph. Didn't I hear that Randolph's four seasons are Winter, June, July and August?
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Journal Entries
    Images

My statement assumes a NOBO hike starting in April.

The OP is starting in April and while it can get chilly in early April, it isn't exactly winter.
    Here's picture of all the gear I'll be taking to Colorado in September (if all goes well).
    Agreed, it isn't quite winter, but not taking winter gear (20 degree bag, puffy, etc.) on a NOBO hike starting in April is a bad idea IMO.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got these books. When I first read them it was enlightening to see that a lot of ideas I thought were recent (90s era) actually came about YEARS ago. True pioneers!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    I've got these books. When I first read them it was enlightening to see that a lot of ideas I thought were recent (90s era) actually came about YEARS ago. True pioneers!
    And their gear was very light, too. The earliest Kelty external packs were very light.

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Kelty-1.html

http://www.oregonphotos.com/Kelty-2.html

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++