Default New PCT Book - Riding the Crest

http://www.eques-trek.com/The%20PCT/Book%20Order.html

Written from the perspective of Janice Raddatz on her thruride (on horses) of the PCT in 2009. Tons of great pictures (in color!) and stories from her journey. Check it out!

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Wow does it say how that jerk dropped her horse off of a cliff and was to wussy to do anything about it, so some hikers had to go down and coax the horse back up. Then she put her horse down. Or how about the second horse that she killed? She made it on her third horse allegedly.

I had first hand accounts the next day from the hikers that whipped and pulled and got that horse up the cliff.

Thats some pretty callous statements, Penguin. "the second horse that she killed". Really?

I was lucky to hike with Janice, Jur and Harmony for a bit. Janice raised those horses from when they were foals and they were like her children. She was all alone when a tragic accident took both horse's life's, I can't imagine the pain and grief she had to endure.

Even by the standards of Whiteblaze, that was one cold and hateful post. The only jerk in this story is you.

Quote Originally Posted by D-wreck View Post
    Thats some pretty callous statements, Penguin. "the second horse that she killed". Really?

I was lucky to hike with Janice, Jur and Harmony for a bit. Janice raised those horses from when they were foals and they were like her children. She was all alone when a tragic accident took both horse's life's, I can't imagine the pain and grief she had to endure.

How many "children" have you put down? They weren't children or pets for that matter. They don't call horses stock for nothing, they're replaceable. Generally, when a horse becomes injured and unable to walk any further on the PCT, they blow them up with dynamite. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Wow does it say how that jerk dropped her horse off of a cliff and was to wussy to do anything about it

I seriously love how this is worded. I seriously got the image in my head of a woman picking up a horse and literally dropping it off of a cliff lol.......still laughing ahahahahaha.

Feathered friend to all. Penguin's Avatar

Well I think when you kill your horses due to negligence on your part, you can be referred to as a jerk. She didn't need to take her stock up a section of trail that was eroding off of a hillside. She could have turned around and headed back down canyon. Water was close enough in both directions.

Thanks D-wreck for supporting my claim that she did kill two horses. No matter how it's worded, if she cared about her stock, she wouldn't have lost them. PCT is a trail designed for horse travel, that doesn't mean that it's maintained for it though. Maybe someday, someone will be able to through ride it without killing their animals along the way, and actually claim a through ride.

I'm not a horse lover, I recognize them as just a separate use group. I do know though that you need to care for the creatures that you claim responsibility for, like your horses. If someone's dog got bit by a rattlesnake and died on the trail, it would be hard to argue that that person wasn't a jerk too. It should either have been leashed, or trained to avoid snakes. (They offer snake training for dogs in Southwest cities like Tucson.) D-Wreck maybe it's hard for you to understand though that you need to be kind to animals, some people do have issues I guess. Perhaps you should not be so hypocritical in your name calling, if you think calling some one who calls a horse killer a jerk is hateful then why are you also referring to me as a jerk. This lady didn't need to kill those horses. It really is a sad story in that it was preventable.

That book looks terrible. And 30 bucks? Unless there is an entire chapter on blowing horses up with dynamite I'm going to have to pass on this.

Where on the trail did the horses die? Mendorider was just talking about a lady who had two horses fall on Little Giant Pass. Is this the same woman? I also remember there was a lady at the start of 2009, I think, whose horse fell on the way down to Snow Creek. But I don't think her horse died. Some thru-hikers helped her get her horse back up on the trail.

Maybe it would be a good idea to actually read her story to find out what happened than to just sit in judgment of her.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Peppoeroni lost her horses on the Glacier Peak Detour in Washington which wasn't really recommended for horse travel. I met her in Goat Rocks after she borrowed a 3rd horse and her account was different then above. I also hiked on and off with a guy from Yosemite to Canada who hiked with her for a week as he enjoyed her company. Her hudsband doing support was an interesting character to talk to and gave several hikers rides over the summer. In any case, she was a nice lady and the comments above are a bit harsh for 2nd hand info.

++ New Posts ++