WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Well, there you go Dirty Harry, your choice of cannon... weighs you down. I'm half heartedly kidding. Even though the G26 is marketed as a great CC weapon weight with a 10 clip is what something like 22-23 ozs? You have to take your own CC situations into account with what you decide on. There are like at least 10 other CC weapons applicable for lighter wt trail use on the AT. That's a nice carry or the 43 around town or when traveling in a car or on a bike though.

One of the very knowledgeable dealers I've purchased from started laughing as he was thoroughly amused by me of all things bringing a digital scale into his store when I was looking at on trail backpacking options as I weighed everything including various clips, holsters, etc. He eventually started asking me more about UL backpacking when I saw him than discussing guns.

What's a "clip"?
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

For a second I thought he was talking about those clips you bolt the slide so you don't have to use a holster.

Journal Entries
    Images

My gun sleeps in a small neoprene sleeve that I keep in my Osprey waist pack. The waist pack never leaves my body and contains meds, emergency items, cash, phone, etc. When sleeping in a shelter the waist pack goes inside my sleeping bag. If I'm in my tent, the waist pack in near me. The neoprene sleeve is great for a few reasons. 1) It protects the gun from the elements, fingerprints, etc. 2) If I have to open my waist pack around people, or pull the neoprene sleeve out, nobody can tell there's a gun inside. The gun I carry is small and weighs 10oz loaded with 7 shots. There are times when I transfer the gun to my pants pocket temporarily.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Assessment of risk comes first.
    Normally I don't carry. A stout hiking pole works for self defense in most cases.

If there's some known risk (generally with animals) I might carry a NAA.22 mag in the right waist pocket of my pack. If the risk is more severe (bears on the PCT or in grizzly habitat in MT), we would opt for a .357 S&W, IWB holster. A 1911 is an option, but have never carried one hiking, too large and heavy. I have carried a 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgut with a pistol grip, shoved into the top of the pack, reachable in an instant, while doing solo geology work in the Beartooth Mtns and in other bear habitat in MT and Western Alaska. Never needed to shoot.

Opted for a can of bear spray can on the Gallatin Divide hike this summer, big griz country. No problems though.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

On the AT I only carry my scandium alloy S&W .357, which weighs 11oz unloaded. I only carry the 5 rounds. No additional speed loads. I keep it in an accessible pouch on the pack, as my concern is only at my campsite. When in camp, it stays inside the tent's webbed pocket, so I can kill you from my sleeping bag as you enter my tent or if an animal goes crazy from the exterior. I am not prepared for a LA shootout.

When in grizzly country, I carry a colt .45 1911 pistol attached to my strong side hip belt, along with a second magazine; hoping I am alive long enough to reload. I carry the bear spray canister upside down on my weak side, so that I may draw them both into an "Harries" style draw.

DO NOT carry your bear pray with the nozzle up as the products demonstrate. You'll never get the thing out smoothly with one hand. Let gravity do the work.
    Be Prepared

Is it raining yet?
    Images

clip is slang for an ammunition magazine
    Be Prepared

Images

It's also a spring-loaded metal strip to hold a magazine-full of cartridges together at the base. An early rapid-reloading device, especially for bolt action rifles. I think it still has some modern uses for reloading interchangeable magazines.

The research I've done shows gas is more effective against bears than sidearms.Personally I would not consider a sidearm with a barrel under 4 inches without the term "magnum" in its description to be anything but an insult to a higher level predator.In states where you don't have reciprocity with your permit to carry you would be risking fines or imprisonment.Being legal,effective,accessible,and concealed is a challenge.Loose shirt and a belly band works.

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Grizzlies have been killed with .45 pistols.
    Grizzlies have killed people with .45 pistols.
    Bear spray warning on canister reads in part: '...a second application may not be as effective...'
    What do you mean a second time?
    Good luck everyone.
    Be Prepared

I carry mine with the MAGAZINE fully loaded and a round in the chamber.
    Alice: This is impossible.
    The Mad Hatter: Only if you believe it is.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Grizzlies have been killed with .45 pistols.
    Grizzlies have killed people with .45 pistols.
    Bear spray warning on canister reads in part: '...a second application may not be as effective...'
    What do you mean a second time?
    Good luck everyone.
    Bear spray is great as long as the wind is blowing favorably for you. Guns no matter what the caliper are only as good as person behind the gun. In either case your best chance is to remain calm. I find that bears- black bears- don't like noise and clapping my hands and a good shout is very effective. Its the two legged predators I pack for when I feel its necessary. I prefer a double action revolver with quality ammo. No jamming no miss fires and no misses.

Images

I like the "sticky" holsters. Lets you comfortably conceal your weapon in your pocket or in the waistband of your pants either in front or at your back. It stays put but allows for easy withdrawal of your weapon.

I have more holsters than I know what to do with.

First pic is a SideArmor. The pic shows how far it rotates which is perfect for cross draw. If you buy this holster be advised that sweat will rust prevent those 3 screws from coming loose. I blue Locktite everything gun related, and I just twisted the Allen wrench trying to get the other holster apart. This refers to my method of cutting a pouch, weaving the pack's waist belt through the pouch and holster, etc. that I mentioned in my first post. Sorry but I don't have a pic of the cut pouch. On my last hike all my gear was stolen except what I was wearing and since I haven't been able to overnight it I haven't made a new pouch. Soon...very soon.

Second picture is the Raven Concealment (RCS) trigger guard doohickey and Mtn Smith lumbarpack. This thing works great except it won't work with a light on the gun - as in my case a G19 and Surefire X300. I generally just use this combo when riding my MTB.

Third pic is 3 holsters I'll use to carry outside waistband (OWB) when doing day hikes or around the fixed campsite. Inside waistband (IWB) just isn't comfortable for hiking, etc. 2 holsters are RCS - 1 light compatible and 1 non-light. Other is Safariland light compatible.

FWIW I use Milt Sparks VM2 for everyday IWB carry...didn't take a pic.

I'm not sure why I lose my paragraphs when posting...
    Attached Images Attached Images

When I carry, I use an Osprey pocket (can't find the model, it's something between a chest pocket and hip pocket). I have it mounted on my right hip and it's large enough for my GPS, a few snacks, and either my G27, Shield, or LCP. Obvious caveat is that the gun is always holstered.

I don't think Osprey sells that accessory any longer, but it makes for a good concealed gun case.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    On the AT I only carry my scandium alloy S&W .357, which weighs 11oz unloaded. I only carry the 5 rounds. No additional speed loads. I keep it in an accessible pouch on the pack
    My buddy carries this when hunting mountain lions, he says its really hard to shoot well. What's your experience?

Speaking for myself, the scandium revolvers hurt my hand when I tried them at a local range. Would never shoot one for fun.
    But then I sometimes carry a Python...

Pump shotguns with slugs are more the preferred arm in Griz country in my 35 yrs experience in MT and AK.

Personally,I like the idea of a .357 magnum scandium revolver as a trail carry gun;particularly in black bear country.The concept is for lightweight personal defense,not target shooting,and in an emergency you would likely use it at just about point blank range.Somebody makes a scandium revolver in .44 magnum but I would not want to experience that kind of recoil.

I just pulled the trigger on a this holster.It has a snap rather than velcro to secure the firearm https://www.amazon.com/Handgun-Holst...s=yang+holster

Looks like it will hold most sidearms.

I have fairly large hands, have shot a lot over the years...and I wouldn't even buy a Scandium anything. Ouch. Then there's the issue of a light gun allowing for a lot of recoil which equates to slower follow up shot.

My choice for bear country is a S&W Model 57 .41 mag and that's the smallest pistol I'd carry if I thought there was a threat.

IMO the recoil is more abrupt with the Scandium 357, but it's less painful with the 41. I figure that's mainly due to the grip shape and gun weight.

I have an old Colt Detective Special in 38 and I don't even like shooting that thing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++