WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thumbs up Massdrop Poll for thoses who like the ultralight titanium stuff

I'm exploring the option of listing some of the gear that I make (at a discount) on Massdrop. For those of you who belong to Massdrop, there is a poll started that would let you tell Massdrop what gear you would like to see a "drop" for. The poll is at https://www.massdrop.com/vote/ultral...ckpacking-gear

I would appreciate any WB'ers who are interested to participate. Mods - if this is the wrong forum for this post, please move to the more appropriate location.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I’m not currently looking to buy anything, but I carried a Big Dig from Georgia to Maine and can wholeheartedly endorse it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might maybe be interested in a wood burner. I've been toying with the idea of something like that for a while....so I voted!

I use a Deuce of Spades. How does your "big dig" compare in weight/size/price?

I tried a snow stake. It just doesn't cut it for really dry/hard soil like Georgia was when I tried that. The Deuce is good, but a little small. Making a change is marginal for me, but something I am considering. (And yes, I voted).

I voted for the Firefly. I don't know if I would actually buy (I already have two twig stoves) but it would be nice to see on MD.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Voted. Looking for a new catholer.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I use a Deuce of Spades. How does your "big dig" compare in weight/size/price?

I tried a snow stake. It just doesn't cut it for really dry/hard soil like Georgia was when I tried that. The Deuce is good, but a little small. Making a change is marginal for me, but something I am considering. (And yes, I voted).
    The Big Dig is pretty much the same weight as the Deuce (0.6 oz) but is thinner than the Deuce (Big Dig titanium is 0.016" thick). It is the thinnest trowel you can buy. The thin digging edge, while not actually sharp, is the reason it works so well. The more small roots are in the location you are digging, the more you will notice how a thin trowel slices these with less effort. The heat-forming process makes it much stronger than you would imagine it could be in resisting digging forces along its length.

Get your votes in before the poll closes. Trowels currently winning, with the FireFly stove in second place.

Love my Big Dig. I lost one at a fantastic location of opportunity near Gregory Bald. I tried doing without it. I tried replacing it with a snow stake. I tried thinking of going on with my life and not returning to my titanium habit. But the pull was too great. Now I am living a life of vapid idle luxury with my Ti habit well satisfied, and my Big Dig replaced. The roots cry for mercy as the thin edge plows right through them. The rocks flee from the path of my mighty trowel. The handle holds strong, no matter the abuse leveraged upon it. The yellow safety dipped handle calls to me in my dreams and lures me out for moonlit midnight cathole carousing.

I have never used the Deuce because I had a Big Dig long before the Deuce hit the market. But I can compare it to the orange plastic thingy: It digs better, the handle doesn't crack, it cuts through the ground better, its easier to use, it weighs a whole lot less, and it disappears in my toilet ditty.

I'm not currently in the market for a new Big Dig, but if this hits massdrop, I might have to stock up. Just in case my Big Dig chooses to remain at the location of my next moment of backcountry bathroom bliss.

Images

Voted, big dig!

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    The Big Dig is pretty much the same weight as the Deuce (0.6 oz) but is thinner than the Deuce (Big Dig titanium is 0.016" thick). It is the thinnest trowel you can buy. The thin digging edge, while not actually sharp, is the reason it works so well. The more small roots are in the location you are digging, the more you will notice how a thin trowel slices these with less effort. The heat-forming process makes it much stronger than you would imagine it could be in resisting digging forces along its length.
    Get your votes in before the poll closes. Trowels currently winning, with the FireFly stove in second place.
    The only issue I have with the thin metal of the Big Dig (which I love) is that it tends to cut into my hands when I really need to get after a root or something and it makes it difficult to get a good grip and put some force behind it. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The only issue I have with the thin metal of the Big Dig (which I love) is that it tends to cut into my hands when I really need to get after a root or something and it makes it difficult to get a good grip and put some force behind it. Any suggestions?
    Yes, a layer a Gorilla tape around the handle works well. Gorilla tape is quite thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I put a few layers of heat shrink tubing on mine and it works great!

If my hand starts to bug me, I will wrap the handle with my bandanna.

Great ideas. I like the heat shrink tubing idea. Where is the best place to get some?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Dawg View Post
    I put a few layers of heat shrink tubing on mine and it works great!
    Another product that some like is Sugru, a moldable glue that can be shaped into a "bumper" on the trowel handle end.
    See <cite class="_Rm">

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Another product that some like is Sugru, a moldable glue that can be shaped into a "bumper" on the trowel handle end.
    See <cite class="_Rm">
    Woah, that stuff looks awesome!

I have ordered some Sugru to see how durable it is and how much weight it adds. I might be able to add a small bead to several trowels at a time and make this an option for folks that want it. It will mean no yellow rubber coating on the handle though if I do this. What do you all think about that?

++ New Posts ++