WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default BASECAMP, Front Royal VA

New for 2019 AT Thru-Hikers: Basecamp is located at 122 Main Street in historic downtown Front Royal. Supported by local businesses, several AT hikers provided valuable input in its design and furnishing. Though it opened late last year, the Class of 2019 will be the first through hikers to enjoy its generous amenities.

Basecamp is supported by the Front Royal Brewing Company, Mountain Trails Outfitters, and the Down Home Comfort Bakery. To get into Basecamp hikers need to go to one of these business to obtain the door code.

Getting There: From the Hwy 522 trailhead NOBO hikers can use a local shuttle service, taxi, or the Front Royal Trolley to get to the Visitors Center which is 4 miles away. Two blocks from the Visitors they should enter the outer door of the Front Royal Brewing Company at 122 Main Street. Inside, they should stop at the bakery or the brewing company to obtain their door code. The entrance to Basecamp is just to the left of the inner door to the Front Royal Brewing Company. From the Hwy 55 trailhead SOBO hikers can use a local shuttle service or taxi to get to the Visitors Center which is 8.5 miles away.

Basecamp Amenities:
    FREE lockers,
    FREE washer, dryer and detergent
    PRIVATE bathroom
    PRIVATE shower with a deep sink
    Clean towels
    Hiker's Box
    Loaner clothes hikers can use while their clothes are being washed

Basecamp Journal. An entire wall is provided as the Basecamp Journal. Everyone is encouraged to leave their mark here. Feel free to contribute your messages, trail updates, inspirational quotes, original artwork, etc. It will be exciting to see what the Class of 2019 leaves behind!

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Oh, my! What a kindness. I hope that it is treated with great care.
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Quote Originally Posted by Corley View Post
    New for 2019 AT Thru-Hikers: Basecamp is located at 122 Main Street in historic downtown Front Royal. Supported by local businesses, several AT hikers provided valuable input in its design and furnishing. Though it opened late last year, the Class of 2019 will be the first through hikers to enjoy its generous amenities.

Basecamp is supported by the Front Royal Brewing Company, Mountain Trails Outfitters, and the Down Home Comfort Bakery. To get into Basecamp hikers need to go to one of these business to obtain the door code.

Getting There: From the Hwy 522 trailhead NOBO hikers can use a local shuttle service, taxi, or the Front Royal Trolley to get to the Visitors Center which is 4 miles away. Two blocks from the Visitors they should enter the outer door of the Front Royal Brewing Company at 122 Main Street. Inside, they should stop at the bakery or the brewing company to obtain their door code. The entrance to Basecamp is just to the left of the inner door to the Front Royal Brewing Company. From the Hwy 55 trailhead SOBO hikers can use a local shuttle service or taxi to get to the Visitors Center which is 8.5 miles away.

Basecamp Amenities:
    FREE lockers,
    FREE washer, dryer and detergent
    PRIVATE bathroom
    PRIVATE shower with a deep sink
    Clean towels
    Hiker's Box
    Loaner clothes hikers can use while their clothes are being washed

Basecamp Journal. An entire wall is provided as the Basecamp Journal. Everyone is encouraged to leave their mark here. Feel free to contribute your messages, trail updates, inspirational quotes, original artwork, etc. It will be exciting to see what the Class of 2019 leaves behind!
    That's awesome. I have been doing more motorcycle riding lately as I have a 4 month old and it's easier to sneak away for a few hours than a few days. Front Royal is a good out and back for me. I will be sure to drop by and offer a donation to the brewery next time I am there.

https://patriot-travels.blog/blog/

Check out the Basecamp pixs I posted on my blog.

That's an awesome idea and great service!

Is it open just to thru's, or can LASH's utilize the Basecamp as well?
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    That's an awesome idea and great service!

Is it open just to thru's, or can LASH's utilize the Basecamp as well?
    Preferential treatment to Thru-hikers? No way!

I passed through Front Royal on my way to the Mountain house B&B from HF last summer. It had the feeling of a town down on its luck. Someone i spoke to (I forgot who) said it used to be a prosperous town with a lot of visitors from the DC area, but they stopped coming. I think it got to do with the construction of a new highway. I hope the hiking community can lift up a bit that town which, in my opinion, has a great potential.

Basecamp is open to all AT hikers, so LASH's are more than welcome.

There's a lot to Front Royal that most AT hikers won't get a chance to see since the town covers a lot of diverse areas. Like most cities, much of the recent development has been near the interstate (i.e. I-66 and Hwy 340). The city has put a lot of effort into restoring the historic downtown area around the Visitor's Center and Basecamp. They hope Basecamp and the new businesses downtown will attract not only the AT hikers, but also the canoeist and long distance bikers that pass through the area from Spring to Fall. IMHO it's a great place to spend a Nero or Zero if it fits into your plan.

I'm not clear if the basecamp also provides lodging. If not, I don't see the point since the near-by hostels provide shower and laundry, while a motel will at least have a shower. There looks to be a couple of $50 a night motels more or less in walking distance, but no supermarkets which would be the other reason to head to town. The last two times I passed through there I was happy with Terrapin Station and Mountain Home, which provided me with all I needed.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

BTW, the address is 122 East Main street. There is a east and west main street. 122 West Main street puts you at a church. Thank you google.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm not clear if the basecamp also provides lodging. If not, I don't see the point since the near-by hostels provide shower and laundry, while a motel will at least have a shower. There looks to be a couple of $50 a night motels more or less in walking distance, but no supermarkets which would be the other reason to head to town. The last two times I passed through there I was happy with Terrapin Station and Mountain Home, which provided me with all I needed.
    You're right that if there was accommodation or a free camp spot in town, it would help

But I can see it being useful for a lot of hikers for different purposes. Those that want to resupply, eat, clean up, move on, or those that get there in the morning from a nearby shelter and want to get some stuff done

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    You're right that if there was accommodation or a free camp spot in town, it would help

But I can see it being useful for a lot of hikers for different purposes. Those that want to resupply, eat, clean up, move on, or those that get there in the morning from a nearby shelter and want to get some stuff done
    I guess the brewery to brewery hikers would be the main users An in-n-out isn't unreasonable using the Tom Floyd and Denton shelters on either side of town. The only question is where's the supermarket and how do you get there? Maybe the trolley? Unless you mailed a package, you really need to get to a supermarket there. Mountain Home drove us to one, but I forget where it was. Probably out by the highway.

Images

BTW, the address is 122 East Main street. There is a east and west main street. 122 West Main street puts you at a church. Thank you google.
    I'm not so sure Google got that right. As I recall 122 E main Street is the address for both the Brewing Company and the Bakery. Also, next door there was a wine bar. Not sure if that is still there.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I guess the brewery to brewery hikers would be the main users An in-n-out isn't unreasonable using the Tom Floyd and Denton shelters on either side of town. The only question is where's the supermarket and how do you get there? Maybe the trolley? Unless you mailed a package, you really need to get to a supermarket there. Mountain Home drove us to one, but I forget where it was. Probably out by the highway.
    If they drove you out to the highway, that was probably Walmart. Between the VA 522 AT crossing and Main St. is South St. (VA-55, John Marshal Highway) Across the street from both McDonald's and Burger King is a Martin's Grocery Store. It's an anchor store for a large strip mall that includes a Mexican restaurant, Rural King (think Tractor Supply) and a Sprint store. There's also 2 banks, a Chinese restaurant and a Domino's Pizza. Farther down the street is Spelunker's (burgers and ice cream) and River & Peak Outfitter. Walmart is 10-15 minutes by vehicle on the west side of town, west of I-66.

The Martin's supermarket is about 3.5 miles from the Hwy 522 trailhead. You could hike north on 522 to the first traffic light, then turn left/east on South Street. Martin's will be on the left. The trolley stops at the Hwy 522 trailhead from May 1st to July 31st, Mon-Fri 9:45am & 2:20pm, Sat-Sun 2:20pm and 5:20pm. You could take the trolley to the Visitor's Center and then walk down Blue Ridge Ave. to Martin's. From the Hwy 522 trailhead you can also call for a shuttle or taxi.

I am at base camp right now, it is everything you need and nothing you don’t. You can have lunch next door while doing laundry and with lockers for your pack you can tour the town without carrying it. Overall it’s a great service.

++ New Posts ++