WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    This is a trail I've been meaning to get out to. How slow is the going? Can you do the 25 in a day in February or March when the bugs and snakes aren't around?
    It's a 20 mile trail...not a loop...not hilly but can have very wet muddy sections...several pocosins. I'd hike it from Nov thru March to avoid the nasty black flies and cottonmouths. Havent done it yet but plenty of info online. Gonna hike it next winter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    This is a trail I've been meaning to get out to. How slow is the going? Can you do the 25 in a day in February or March when the bugs and snakes aren't around?
    I'm sure you could do it in one day. We didn't want to, so my daughter and I did a loop. Which had a bunch of dirt road hiking back to our car. Depending on how much rain they have some areas are knee deep in mud. It's a fun hike that meanders along the Neuse River back to the Pine cliffs Recreation area. The section we did was from the Ferry Road parking area off HWY 306 between Havelock and Beaufort. Then we hiked to the Pine Cliffs and back up to our car on the HWY. We stayed at the Copperhead Shelter. It is really nice and lots of area to set up a tent around there. I would definitely plan on going before the heat of the summer. It can be miserable there in the middle of July. Really from December through May is pretty good.

Have you spent any time in Uwharrie? Not a lot of hills but some walking time with overnights

Images

+1 for Hanging Rock SP

About an hour further North on the Blue Ridge Parkway is the Rock Castle Gorge. Part of the trail is the original AT with the a shelter Earl Shaffer stayed in. 10.5 mile loop that will kick your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by DanTaylor View Post
    Have you spent any time in Uwharrie? Not a lot of hills but some walking time with overnights
    I really like those trails. The hills are small but the rocks can be tough on your feet. If you're lucky you get to see some worn out Ranger trainee who's been rucking for 36 hours.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I too have been using Uwharrie and the Birkhead wilderness to get ready for my Springer to Dicks Creek Gap section hike this May. I live out on the coast in Wilmington so the 3 hour drive is the closest trail system with any real elevation change. It's been a great proving ground for me to test out new gear. The Uwharrie and Dutchmans creek trail figure 8 comes in around 18-20 miles IIRC. I'm actually going out there on monday for a 1-2 nighter to test a new tent and push the limit of my winter bag with temps in the mid 20's expected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++