WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DeLorme InReach.. how do you carry yours?

I am really happy with the performance, and two way sat-comm that the InReach offers. What I struggle with is how best to carry it. I really dislike the design of the included belt clip... sharp edges and points and it doesn't feel secure.

The instructions suggest keeping the antenna pointed up and with a clear view of the sky, which led me to clipping it to the outside front pocket of my ZimmerBuilt, but that meant I had to take the pack off to do anything with the unit. I switched to the side pocket where it felt a little more secure but it was still out of reach to do any thing with it.

Ideal would be on the shoulder strap. However, my lower part of the left strap is dedicated to my water bottle. The remaining strap real estate could work, but the daisy chain sewn into the strap goes the wrong way. Farther up my straps is vacant, but that puts the unit horizontal. Not sure if that is okay.

Curious how those of you who are InReach users mount the unit and where.

This could prove to be a good DIY project.

Vercro strap (so the inreach is vertical) on the upper part of my left shoulder strap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

On the back of the neoprene case (I took off the clip) there's 2 loops, top and bottom. I got red velcro cable straps from Harbour Freight and was able to secure the InReach to my ZPack shoulder strap with them. It's light enough that only 1 is strong enough but I keep 2 on it just in case. I chose the left strap because I slacken the right strap when I drop the pack.

What you're seeing is a carabiner on the bottom and a thumb drive lanyard on the top. This is how I carry it on a day hike. Not necessary (then), but a nice-to-have.

I have a set of Aarn Sport Pockets I clip to my shoulder straps. One of them has a clip designed to hook onto GPS units and a mesh pocket right there for the unit to ride in. It is a bit close for me to see the screen well without putting on my glasses, but I can check messages without unhooking it.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Osprey Exos has nice stretchy pouches on the shoulder straps that hold it perfectly, either side.

What is your pack? I also don't like the belt clip either, partly because of the sharp points and partly because it is almost too secure to get off a strap.

Since I mostly only use mine for morning and evening check-in messages (plus SOS if ever necessary) I leave it in the back mesh pocket of my Arc Haul.

On the rare occasion I have needed to use it for GPS I have left it in the same pocket and turned on while using my phone connected to it via Bluetooth to do anything with it. My phone is easily accessible. I used to carry the controller of my dogs' electric collars on the hip belt webbing by the buckle; it didn't get in the way and was convenient. If I was using my InReach more that's probably where I'd put it.

My phone is easily accessible, but a Blue Tooth connection between phone and InReach doesn't support preset messaging, which is my primary use.

After my last trip I asked my wife if she recv'd the messages and her answer was.. yeah, you sent an aweful lot of them. she never followed the links to view the map location.

Lessons learned? 1) I sent too many check-in messages and 2) I am damned either way.. she's not happy when I don't send them and equally unhappy when I do.

My take-away is that a check-in message or two will be sufficient. I can turn it on, and leave it in a pocket all day. As long as I can her the beep if she sends me a message, I'll be ok (she'll be pissed I am out on the trail either way).

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    My phone is easily accessible, but a Blue Tooth connection between phone and InReach doesn't support preset messaging, which is my primary use.

After my last trip I asked my wife if she recv'd the messages and her answer was.. yeah, you sent an aweful lot of them. she never followed the links to view the map location.

Lessons learned? 1) I sent too many check-in messages and 2) I am damned either way.. she's not happy when I don't send them and equally unhappy when I do.

My take-away is that a check-in message or two will be sufficient. I can turn it on, and leave it in a pocket all day. As long as I can her the beep if she sends me a message, I'll be ok (she'll be pissed I am out on the trail either way).
    Can't win for losing huh! If I have someone at home a check in twice daily is plenty. That way, if I miss two they know something's wrong and 12 hours isn't generally too long before sending help. I always plan on sending them by 8am and 8pm

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    What you're seeing is a carabiner on the bottom and a thumb drive lanyard on the top. This is how I carry it on a day hike. Not necessary (then), but a nice-to-have.Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    It will be with me on day hikes as well since I am almost always solo these days. And the more I go, the more I am seeking out more remote spots..
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStranger View Post
    I have a set of Aarn Sport Pockets I clip to my shoulder straps. One of them has a clip designed to hook onto GPS units and a mesh pocket right there for the unit to ride in. It is a bit close for me to see the screen well without putting on my glasses, but I can check messages without unhooking it.
    I'll look into the pockets.. I hadn't considered add-on pockets other than those I might make myself. I know Zimmerbuilt would make them for me. Not sure about ULA.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Osprey Exos has nice stretchy pouches on the shoulder straps that hold it perfectly, either side.
    Ugh.. sorry... but I really don't like Osprey packs.. Had two and I found the side pack pockets and hip belt pockets completely useless.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    What is your pack?
    ULA Ohm V2 and a custom Zimmerbuilt that is essentially a miniature Ohm.. sized right between the Ohm and an MLD Burn.
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    Can't win for losing huh! If I have someone at home a check in twice daily is plenty. That way, if I miss two they know something's wrong and 12 hours isn't generally too long before sending help. I always plan on sending them by 8am and 8pm
    Good point.. I hadn't considered setting a loose agenda for updates. I will. That would relieve her of being overwhelmed by too many and worried by too little and me from having to have it so handy. Sort of a 'duh' moment for me.. thank you for saying what I should have thought of on my own. ;-)

It will be with me on day hikes as well since I am almost always solo these days. And the more I go, the more I am seeking out more remote spots..
    I'll look into the pockets.. I hadn't considered add-on pockets other than those I might make myself. I know Zimmerbuilt would make them for me. Not sure about ULA.

Ugh.. sorry... but I really don't like Osprey packs.. Had two and I found the side pack pockets and hip belt pockets completely useless.

ULA Ohm V2 and a custom Zimmerbuilt that is essentially a miniature Ohm.. sized right between the Ohm and an MLD Burn.

Good point.. I hadn't considered setting a loose agenda for updates. I will. That would relieve her of being overwhelmed by too many and worried by too little and me from having to have it so handy. Sort of a 'duh' moment for me.. thank you for saying what I should have thought of on my own. ;-)
    Glad to be of help. Enjoy your time out there...heading out for my first trip of the year on Saturday...it's about time!

Everyone has to find what works for themselves when it comes to staying in contact. For our family we find that one preset to start the day when breaking camp and another preset when setting up camp are all we generally need. Then there are a few gratuitous "On top of mountain!!" messages that get sent on reaching particularly scenic peaks My wife and daughter can zoom in on the satellite map to see me waving up at them hehe.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Everyone has to find what works for themselves when it comes to staying in contact. For our family we find that one preset to start the day when breaking camp and another preset when setting up camp are all we generally need. Then there are a few gratuitous "On top of mountain!!" messages that get sent on reaching particularly scenic peaks My wife and daughter can zoom in on the satellite map to see me waving up at them hehe.

Admittedly, I didn't manage my wife's expectations.

We both know better now so next trip I'll tighten things up.

Top left shoulder lying horizontal. I removed the included Neoprene case, clip and carabiner to save weight and just used duct tape around the edges to prevent scratches. I also duct taped the belt clip closed as insurance that it wont slide off the shoulder. Worked fine except with heavy clouds. Disadvantage: I would have to take the pack off to do anything with it.

Remember that you want to be carrying this thing where you can reach it while laying on your back with a broken leg. At the least you'll want to be able to deactivate the lock and hit the SOS button with one hand. I know we all carry these things to chat with the family at home, but just in case you need it in an emergency, don't have it buried in your pack because you may not be able to get to it.

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

I attached mine on my left shoulder strap. I found it very useful also.

Remember that you want to be carrying this thing where you can reach it while laying on your back with a broken leg. At the least you'll want to be able to deactivate the lock and hit the SOS button with one hand. I know we all carry these things to chat with the family at home, but just in case you need it in an emergency, don't have it buried in your pack because you may not be able to get to it.
    Exactly... I don't want to disable the belt clip, I am just going to ignore it. My plan is to sew a small draw string bag that will have the antenna pocking out the top. that will take care of positioning on either pack. Zimmerbuilt has a few add-on pockets I could use, but this is a good DIY project..

My favored trail pants are Kuhl Renegade convertibles so cargo pockets are alway available.

Exactly... I don't want to disable the belt clip, I am just going to ignore it. My plan is to sew a small draw string bag that will have the antenna pocking out the top. that will take care of positioning on either pack. Zimmerbuilt has a few add-on pockets I could use, but this is a good DIY project..

My favored trail pants are Kuhl Renegade convertibles so cargo pockets are alway available.
    I like where you are going with that idea. You don't need big pockets like mine, you just need something to hold the device in place. A strong hanging attachment on top and another on the bottom that just needs to be enough to keep it from bouncing up and down with each step. Scrap of ripstop, few inches of shock cord and you're set for not too many grams. Might make a good side business because I see more and more units on trail all the time

YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Cut off the clip "rivet" (can't and make _myself_ do that&#128552 make two lashings (for top and bottom). Each lash about 6" long with a loop knotted on one end, passing thru a spring stopper, and a stopper knot on the free end.

Or these:

I use 4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++