WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: I am a Liar.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I'm not sure if you can...
    Officially- The book is available to library buyers through Baker and Taylor distribution and the ISBN-13 # is 978-1503193871.
    I think they are legally supposed to obtain books this way- kinda like a video store has to have a special copy of a DVD (non-retail) for rental.
    There is no such law. If you own a book, you're free to lend it out, give it away, rent it, destroy it, slice it up and hang it on the wall, resell it, and so on. What you're not free to do is copy it. (That's why it's called "copyright".) There are a few other rights governed by copyright, like public performance of musical and dramatic works, preparation of derivative works, right of attribution, and so on. But lending is not one of them! (The key case establishing the principle is Bobbs-Merrill Co. v. Straus, 210 U.S. 339 (1908)). Public display is another right that travels with ownership of a copy. If you own a legal copy of a piece of art, you are allowed to hang it and let others look, or else museums would all be in trouble! (17 USC 109 (c))

The reason that things are different for DVD's is an anomaly arising from how digital media work. In order to play a DVD, the player has to copy the bits off the disk into its memory. This, the courts have held, is copying, so the owner of a copy actually has no right to play it other than the one granted by the license at time of purchase - which for consumer-grade DVD's is usually, "private showing within the home to family members and guests."

So feel free to donate books to libraries to your heart's content, irrespective of where they bought them. (That will often be Baker and Taylor, or McNaughton, simply because those outfits negotiate a pretty good price for quantity buys.)
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

The book is fantastic, what a joyful read!
    Thank you for my copy.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hmmm, I'm not sure if that's a compliment, an insult, or just an observation.
    it's a compliment. "Sinterklass" in Norwegian for great woodsman. Sneaky just implies stealth
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    it's a compliment. "Sinterklass" in Norwegian for great woodsman. Sneaky just implies stealth
    I'll be honest, I didn't realize that Bill was directing the Sinterklass line towards Santa Karl, I thought he was referring to a Christmas Elf.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'll be honest, I didn't realize that Bill was directing the Sinterklass line towards Santa Karl, I thought he was referring to a Christmas Elf.
    the yak reference was a dead give away
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Thanks Bill! I read and enjoyed the copy you sent. I found it a fast read.

My favorite parts were the 'karma' trail stories - true or not. "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story". Pleased to see that you didn't.

-FA

I will bring a Sharpie if we ever meet in person and you can sign my Kindle.

I do a good amount of Lying on the Trail... or maybe I lay on the trail? Mostly with my feet uphill, if possible. And not too soon after eating.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/debrainbrs/14080735329/

Journal Entries

The last book I read was the Godfather, around 1970. It was out before the movie. Me and 3 other guys drove to Vegas in a '62 Nova. Carried a case of oil in the trunk. Drank beer and played pool to earn our living. If we get the 'band ' back together and head back to Vegas, I will read your book.

DLP- that's fine form. Methinks you mighta read a little Jardine.
    McGrabo- 44 years is an impressive stretch- good luck with the band.

And in other news....

The greatest trail show on the planet reviewed the greatest book on the planet. (At least that's how I heard it)

Another excellent show from Mags, Disco, POD and D-Low. Featuring- Snorkel and Allgood too.

http://thetrailshow.com/show-34-the-chin-chinny-chint/

I'm not sure why you would skip ahead, but if you wanted to hear the book review specifically it is about 2:03:40 into the show, but then you'd be skipping 2:03:40 of the show and that's not right.

PS- DLow almost read it! More importantly- POD liked it, that's severely impressive

Images

Looks like 4chan finally discovered Whiteblaze... guess it had to happen someday...

A very fine day! Snorkel reviewed my book.
    Horribly proud to have such a fine hiker read between the lies.

http://www.eathomas.com/2015/06/08/lyingonthetrail/

Images

Just Bill,

Enjoy your frequent posts. Would love to receive a copy of your book

wanna be hiker trash

Just got it on kindle. Send me a pm on how I can get a signed copy please.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

Just got back from a trip... nice thing to come back to!
    I'll send each of you a PM, but for any interested you can contact me at [email protected]
    I have copies available directly that can be signed at your request, the cost is $15 with free shipping.

I like your writing style, Just Bill. Very enjoyable read. Thank you. I can relate to a lot of your lies...er, stories from my time hiking. My GF and I can get this connection when we hike quietly, lost in our own thoughts, and one of us will say something out loud that mirrors what the other person is thinking. Hiking bonds us closer together as a couple. Maybe it's the Great Spirit helping us communicate?

wanna be hiker trash

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    I like your writing style, Just Bill. Very enjoyable read. Thank you. I can relate to a lot of your lies...er, stories from my time hiking. My GF and I can get this connection when we hike quietly, lost in our own thoughts, and one of us will say something out loud that mirrors what the other person is thinking. Hiking bonds us closer together as a couple. Maybe it's the Great Spirit helping us communicate?
    +1 egilbe.
    To be able to take your significant other out on the trail, gives you the opportunity to free yourselves of all of those town related encumbrances, that suck the life out of us. To be able to free yourselves from those mundane shackles, it truly a gift.
    “Every path but your own is the path of fate. Keep on your own track, then.” Thoreau.

Images

I always keep a stack of magazines and such of reading material at the side of my bed. When I am busy with work the stack grows ponderously tall. When I have some free time I chip away at it a bit. For you computer programmers it is a FILO system (or is that LIFO?). At the bottom of the pile are some National Geographic magazines going back to the 1980’s that I am afraid I am not going to get to until I retire someday

So last summer as I was packing up for a John Muir Trail thru-hike, I went to pick out some reading material from the pile for when I bed down for the night on the trail. What do you think was sitting at the top of my FILO stack? Why it was “Lying on the Trail” by our own Just Bill. Whether this was a message from the God’s or some strange coincidence, I do not know. But there it was, top of the pile, a trail hiking book begging to be brought on the trail.

This is perfect, I thought, a book of lies and tall-tales to bring on the trail. I imagined myself tearing out the chapters night by night as I read them on my way towards Mount Whitney. A book of lies to toss in the campfire and scatter as smoke in the wind. I gleefully anticipated the load in my backpack growing lighter with every day. Thinking I had found the perfect choice of reading material, I placed the book away in my backpack and began my journey.

Bill is a liar all right. He lies about lying. As I read the book I soon realized that I had become trapped in some kind of literary Escher drawing. Wrapped in all those lies were fundamental kernels of truth. Weighty truths about life, wry observations on the human condition, life lessons passed on from the children of Wakan Tanka. I cannot burn a book of truths. Only bad medicine will flow from that. So, ‘Lying on the Trail’ remained intact, I kept every page, as I walked the 210 miles from Yosemite to Mount Whitney.

It was when I got my resupply at the Muir Trail Ranch that this began to get to me. Ten days of food and supplies crammed into my bear can. Thirty-eight pounds weighing my out-of-shape body down as I made the final push towards Whitney. No item seemed heavier than the weighty truths in that damn book. This book was suppose to be gone by now, just a bit of light-hearted entertaining fluff dissolved in a campfire like so much cotton candy. There it was every time I opened my pack, the mask on the cover seemed to be mocking me. The title a constant reminder of Bill’s lies about lying. Yet each new chapter begged me on to the next. More weighty truths to be carried in my thoughts as I marched towards Whitney.

I began to think Bill was the playful trickster Sinkalip himself. I thought of the glee it would give him at the great joke of me carrying that thing over 200 miles. Every time I heaved that heavy pack onto my burdened shoulders I thought of the weight of that book. At night by the campfire I even thought I heard Bills laughter in the distant darkness (OK, perhaps, this was the yipping of an actual coyote). Either way, I began to curse Bill and his truths wrapped in lies and his book that I was unable to burn.

Finally, there I was on the last night of my journey. I had decided to camp out on the summit of Whitney itself and wait for the sunrise. There I was in the cold thin air enjoying the celestial display and thinking about the meaning of my hike. More than anything else this journey was a celebration of the interconnection between all things. The words of John Muir played over in my mind, "When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe."

Tired and satisfied I reached one last time for “Lying on the Trail” I had reached the last chapter of the book. I was hoping for a tall tail, a light-hearted bit of wordy popcorn to chew on as I closed my eyes. Instead I was offered a tiny ember, a spark of fire medicine, one last nugget of truth to be considered.

Mitakuye Oyasin. I’ll say no more about this truth, Bill is a better storyteller than I, but it provided a perfect end to a perfect journey. I could not fall asleep that night; once again the trickster had his day. Instead I thought of these words of Bill, and the words of John Muir. I thought of the spirit that moves through all things, of my interconnection with the world and all its people. I lay there and gave thanks for all that I had received.

And that morning I enjoyed a beautiful sunrise at the top of Mount Whitney.

I give thanks for the good medicine that brought this book to the top of my pile that day. I still have every page of this damn book. But after reading the last chapter of “Lying on the Trail”, somehow my pack grew lighter. My curses for Just Bill turned to a bit of a chuckle on the long hike down to Whitney Portal. Bill had fooled me. But just as Sinkalip often taught a lesson with his tricks, somehow old Bill had managed to do the same.
    Last edited by imscotty; 04-05-2016 at 17:48.

Images

DSC01894.jpg

'Lying on the Trail' at the summit of Whitney!

Thanks. I enjoyed your review and still need to pick up the book. I will see if it is available on Kindle and perhaps I will read it on a trip this summer (too much school reading nowadays). Where is Bill anyways?

And it's LIFO....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++