WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: NJ Hike

Default NJ Hike

I'm hoping to get out for 5 days in two weeks going between RT 94 and DWG. With the recent snow and wind storms does anyone know what the current trail conditions are and is there safe parking at either location?

I'd wait a while. My sister who lives a little south of the DWG along the river was without power for 7 days. Another big storm looks like it could hit that area early next week. It's going to be messy for the foreseeable future.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks. Unfortunately it is the only time I will have for a while. I don't want to waste my few vacation days and do nothing so I may have to look for another place to go.

From what i can tell the area took a massive hit
    State campgrounds in that area are closed for the next 2 weeks just to clear downed trees from their sites
    Trails will likely be a mess for quite some time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The weather might improve in 2 weeks. You might want to plan hikes in several different areas and pick one at the last minute based on weather. The SNP and southern PA would be high on the list.

We got about 18 inches of snow on Wednesday. I live in New York about four miles from where the AT crosses Route 94 in New Jersey. The AT parallels the NY/NJ border for a good portion of the trip to High Point before turning south along the Kittatiny Ridge, which I'm sure you are aware.

I was out there for a 7-mile hike just before the snowstorm and the trail was mostly underwater. Some spots had water five yards across, 30 yards wide and 8 inches deep. The best scenario for you is that it mostly melts in the next two weeks - but that means many spots will be flooded even more than they are now. The boardwalk planking through the swamps around Unionville may be completely underwater when the snow melts.

Up on the ridge, where the water drains, it will be drier than in the lowlands. At the very least, it will be slow, muddy going.
    Last edited by Knee Jerk; 03-09-2018 at 22:18.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

Thinking about it, it may make more sense for you to start (or end) at High Point SP and finish (or start) at DWG. Staying on the ridge may work better than hiking in the valleys.

Took a quick trip around the region this morning and all of the local trailhead parking lots that I saw were completely inaccessible.

Which would make a DWG to High Point - or High Point to DWG - a better option because those trailheads should be plowed out.

Thanks for the replies. I will postpone the trip until fall when conditions will be a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Storminnorman View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I will postpone the trip until fall when conditions will be a bit better.
    Wise decision.

Good choice: I was just up on Bearfort Ridge two hours ago and the trail is 100 percent snow, probably about 12 inches deep. They got a lot more white stuff up on the mountains then we got in the valleys and it certainly hasn't melted as fast.

++ New Posts ++