WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: down booties

Default down booties

greetings. my name is carl and this is my first post on the white blaze forums. i was going to make some down booties to keep my feet warm on those nights that are approaching the limits of my quilt. however my sewing skills are weak and coming up with a pattern hasn't been easy. so i was thinking why do i need booties when i could just make a down bag that fits in the foot box of the quilt. sort of one large boot for both feet with a bit of elastic to secure it around my calves. it's not something i can walk around in but the booties were going to be only for sleeping anyway. the only things that might be a downfall is the weight and not being able to move my feet independently. anyone tried it? any reason why it wouldn't work? thanks.

It could work. I have had GooseFeet Gear down booties with 100% overfill for several years and it helps a lot IF my feet aren't already frozen when I put them on. I find that if my feet are frozen cold, they stay that way regardless, so I try to do jumping jacks or something like that before bed if necessary (I probably look insane if anyone's watching).

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The saying in New England is "if your feet are cold, put on a hat." The extra weight of the footbox or booties would be better spent on torso or head insulation, and more versatile to boot! (no pun intended, but I'll take it)

What you're anticipating will not match the warmth of separate down sleeping socks worn inside the quilt. I don't buy into the idea that down socks have to be heavy or aren't equally as light wt as a the hat option. If you have foot circulation issues resulting in foot specific greater coldness or simply want warm feet in very cold situations few options can be as light/UL/SUL wt as foot specific down socks.

I'd be concerned that the compartmentalized part of the quilt tied off as you're suggesting might result in compression of or somehow de-lofting of the insulation(if you're using a down quilt). If you toss and turn much I wonder how that might work as well.

I'm trying to recall the down booties brand or where I recently saw them. They were sub $25. Maybe, someone else has seen them too?

I don't know about everyone else but putting any number of hats on doesn't elevate very cold feet once they are cold for myself.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by megashnauzer View Post
    greetings. my name is carl and this is my first post on the white blaze forums. i was going to make some down booties to keep my feet warm on those nights that are approaching the limits of my quilt. however my sewing skills are weak and coming up with a pattern hasn't been easy. so i was thinking why do i need booties when i could just make a down bag that fits in the foot box of the quilt. sort of one large boot for both feet with a bit of elastic to secure it around my calves. it's not something i can walk around in but the booties were going to be only for sleeping anyway. the only things that might be a downfall is the weight and not being able to move my feet independently. anyone tried it? any reason why it wouldn't work? thanks.
    I have a pair of down booties. I agree that if your feet are cold when you put them on, they stay that way for a long time. Wish I was smart enough to do some jumping jacks, but I never think about such things until I'm already in the bag.

I usually zip up a jacket or vest and put my feet and lower legs in it. That's a bit like the bag you described but it's still a jacket or vest when I need it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by megashnauzer View Post
    What about a multi-purpose down vest with a detachable hood and sleeves?

mbvest.jpgjrbhood1.jpgsleeves1.jpgsleeves2.jpg

For me...vest goes over my footbox (hammock), hood to sleep in, sleeves on my feet if needed.

Reassemble when needed.

12.5oz. total.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 02-12-2018 at 22:30.
    "North America presents in it's external form certain general features which it is easy to discriminate at the first glance. A sort of methodical order seems to have regulated the separation of land and water, mountains and valleys." -Alexis de Tocqueville
    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web

You must have forgotten your mask. Looks like you're delivering a baby.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I have a pair of down booties. I agree that if your feet are cold when you put them on, they stay that way for a long time. Wish I was smart enough to do some jumping jacks, but I never think about such things until I'm already in the bag.

I usually zip up a jacket or vest and put my feet and lower legs in it. That's a bit like the bag you described but it's still a jacket or vest when I need it to be.

OK, I do that also, but I put the jacket on the outside of my sleeping bag - would it be better on the inside?

I sleep in a clean pair of wool socks - I just couldn't get down with the bootie idea.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    It could work. I have had GooseFeet Gear down booties with 100% overfill for several years and it helps a lot IF my feet aren't already frozen when I put them on. I find that if my feet are frozen cold, they stay that way regardless, so I try to do jumping jacks or something like that before bed if necessary (I probably look insane if anyone's watching).
    have you ever tried to boil up some coffee or tea, put it in your nalgene and the bottle into your sleepingbag to warm your feet? works 100% every time for me. and i also agree with deadeye. putting on a a hat also does help. at least a little.
    happy trails
    lucky luke

Maybe add some down pants to the system.

Feet might still get cold even with booties if heat is radiating out of the legs.

Another (lighter, cheaper!) solution that might work is to use plastic produce bag VBLs. Put on thin liner socks, produce bags, thicker wool sock. Amazingly effective.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 02-13-2018 at 07:21.

thanks for the responses. i like the idea of just using my down jacket. that is probably the easiest and most practical way to keep my feet warm. i do wear a fleece hat when sleeping. the heated water bottle would work for a while but my feet don't get cold until the early morning. the cold weather camping might be over for the season so i might have to wait till next fall to give it a try.

If it's cold enough to need down booties then it's cold enough to need down mittens. I have a pair of Mt Hardwear Nilas down mittens which are part of my winter standard load---and they can be worn in camp in the tent for foot warmth---

And for cold feet that take forever to warm up---drop a couple hot hands warming pouches in these "booties" and your feet are good to go.

looks like something from planet of the apes.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Maybe add some down pants to the system.

Feet might still get cold even with booties if heat is radiating out of the legs.

Another (lighter, cheaper!) solution that might work is to use plastic produce bag VBLs. Put on thin liner socks, produce bags, thicker wool sock. Amazingly effective.
    Thank you for the sock/bag/sock matrix. Completely by accident I have a very thin pair of SmartWool socks, a pair of Subway bags and 2 pair of Antique North Cape wool socks.
    7 Mile Ridge some January here I come!
    Wayne

I got a pair of "AEGISMAX Down Booties Down Socks" for Christmas ( I asked for em ) to replace the Northface 700f down tent slippers I had that weighed in at 10oz and had walking sloes on em. The AEGISMAX are just over 2.5oz after I added elastic cords and micro cord locks to the top to help hold them in place. Only $20 on amazon prime and they are pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    ... walking sloes on em.
    dang it, I meant walking "soles"

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    If it's cold enough to need down booties then it's cold enough to need down mittens. I have a pair of Mt Hardwear Nilas down mittens which are part of my winter standard load---and they can be worn in camp in the tent for foot warmth---

And for cold feet that take forever to warm up---drop a couple hot hands warming pouches in these "booties" and your feet are good to go.
    Great idea. Never thought of using mittens or gloves on feet.

NRS 2 mm neoprene sandal sock. Wear as camp shoes, in/out of the bag, and on feet on cold wet days. Really good for early starting NOBOs and cold/wet weather sports. https://www.steepandcheap.com/nrs-sa...0booties|mt:be

Good for those rockin non WP low cut hikers/trail runners but there are calf ht versions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++