WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TheChop View Post
    I did the Approach Trail when I hiked the Duncan Ridge Trail/Neels Gap/Springer loop last April. Didn't realize it was so difficult to start off at Springer. I actually arranged for a shuttle to take me to the top of Springer and then had to postpone for a few days due to my pet's medical issues. Decided the 45 bucks wasn't worth it and walked it. Did the stairs on the way up and the side trail on the way back down. Got to say the stairs are the way to go. I felt like the older trail behind the visitor's center maybe the more "trail" of the two but it's really quite boring and the steps up the falls are an excellent wake up call. Nothing like having your legs completely frosted an hour into the trip.
    With a little luck you will be able to do the 757 steps descending Whitecap Mtn in Maine too. Last big mountain before the Big K.

Images

Bring it on! If you think omitting this part will make the rest easier, who do you think you're fooling?
    Simple is good.

In 2013 I plan on "Blue Blazing" the blue blaze Approach Trail by staying at the Len Foote Hike Inn my first night.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carbo View Post
    Bring it on! If you think omitting this part will make the rest easier, who do you think you're fooling?
    Huh? I'm not saying to omit anything. HYOH and have a nice day. Approach trail for me.

Just do it...this is a once in a lifetime journey! Falls are amazing and u get to climb Springer Mt. not drive up it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tim51 View Post
    I'm still undecided but leaning towards the FS-42 approach trail. I will just backtrack the mile or so to the trail head at springer.

It's a dull way to start a big adventure, imo.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by So Far View Post
    Just do it...this is a once in a lifetime journey! Falls are amazing and u get to climb Springer Mt. not drive up it.

B I NG...OH

And Bingo was its name-oh

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by So Far View Post
    Why drive to Amicalola? Walk from Gainesville...don't drive there! Actually just start in Key West.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Tim51 View Post
    I'm still undecided but leaning towards the FS-42 approach trail. I will just backtrack the mile or so to the trail head at springer.
    I posted about the approach trail earlier in this thread, but from what I learned about it is if you don't feel the need to immediately start off your hike by climbing up the falls, you can be driven to the top of Amicalola Falls at the park and at the top of the falls pick up the approach trail which will then take you to Springer Mountain and you won't have to backtrack to Springer, if you choose.

I have secured a US Navy Jetpack for my ascent of Springer Mountain. I am having one dropped off by helicopter for each 500+ Elevation section on the entire trail.

Don't touch my freakin Jetpacks if ya stumble upon one. I mean it!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by walkin' wally View Post
    Huh? I'm not saying to omit anything. HYOH and have a nice day. Approach trail for me.
    Wally, that was not directed to you. It happened to appear after your post. Was a general comment for this thread about hiking the approach. No harm done. Hope to meet you on the approach!
    Simple is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    It's a dull way to start a big adventure, imo.

not really. most don't make it to maine anyway. no sense doin' extra blue-blaze miles

Last time I checked u couldnt drive up the "O holy mountain" in Maine...

Images

My first section hike was from the approach trail to Unicoi. For me, the hike up the approach trail was the best thing I could have done. By the time I reached the top of Springer, all the little self doubts, what if’s and the little voice in my head asking “have you lost your mind?” where gone. It’s not like the stairs are one continuous climb. There are landings & benches all the way up the falls.

At the bridge at the top of the falls I met a 93 year old man & his wife. He had thru hiked the trail in the early 50’s. The light that came up in his eyes as he told me about his accomplishment was just amazing. I regret that I did not get their names, but I will never forget that 15 minuets.

I’m one of those guys that is going to hike the entire AT if it takes me 20 years, one section at a time. So for me, the approach trail was a requirement. (ymmv)

Images

I'm not even thinking about the approach trail, i'm thinking about my thru hike of the AT. If I end up hiking the approach trail OK cool, if not, whatever.

I think the reason people don't want to hike it is because they know their hike is going to be difficult, especially in the beginning, and would rather put that effort into getting 8 miles closer to Maine. Its not laziness.
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit, and as vital to our lives as water and good bread.
    -Edward Abbey

Images

I am planning on doing it. Was considering going straight to Hawk Mountain shelter on the 1st day. Would be like an almost 16 mile day to start. Does this seem excessive? Anyone done it? I already consider myself in pretty good shape but dont want to destroy myself on day 1!

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    I am planning on doing it. Was considering going straight to Hawk Mountain shelter on the 1st day. Would be like an almost 16 mile day to start. Does this seem excessive? Anyone done it? I already consider myself in pretty good shape but dont want to destroy myself on day 1!

The approach trail is fairly tough, depending on age and endurance level of course, it took me 5 hrs. at age 49, but from Springer to Hawk MTN shelter is a fairly easy hike. I think there is around 2700 ft of elevation gain from AFSP approach trail to the top of Springer, not to much to Hawk MTN. Happy trails!

i wonder if most of the SOBO's do the approach trail?

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i wonder if most of the SOBO's do the approach trail?

My guess..........yes. Then head home from the park, after an ayce buffet first of course. Probably easier for them to get a ride home from there I would think??????

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    My guess..........yes. Then head home from the park, after an ayce buffet first of course. Probably easier for them to get a ride home from there I would think??????
    plus a way to stretch the journey just a little longer

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++