WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

The name says it all, folks: If I want my hikes in the northern and southern Appalachians to Connect, I Cut through this state.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bansko View Post
    If you're a backpacker the "closed" isn't a concern. Maybe for car campers.
    Your right - I've been camping along the blue trail system in CT. for years -( Metacomet -Mattabasset and Tunxis - Rarely see anybody and what little trash I find is easy to pack out.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by adamkrz View Post
    Your right - I've been camping along the blue trail system in CT. for years -( Metacomet -Mattabasset and Tunxis - Rarely see anybody and what little trash I find is easy to pack out.
    Have you done the Mohawk trail yet? I've done it twice now and it's amazing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I did Mohawk trail once that must have been exceptional before Cathedral pines were knocked down, the AT going over Mohawk Mtn. through Corwall, (organic farmer and Cornwall selectman Gordon Ridgeway told me about some hikers from Europe who worked on his farm for a while), through ravines, etc. before the re-route due to nimby jerks.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by greenmtnboy View Post
    I did Mohawk trail once that must have been exceptional before Cathedral pines were knocked down, the AT going over Mohawk Mtn. through Corwall, (organic farmer and Cornwall selectman Gordon Ridgeway told me about some hikers from Europe who worked on his farm for a while), through ravines, etc. before the re-route due to nimby jerks.
    Yeah, I wish I had been able to hike that section back before the re-route (or seen what Cathedral pines looked like before the tornado), the section that is now the Mohawk is so much better that the re-route. The views from the lookout on Barrack? mountain and Coltsfoot mountain were phenominal, and I had never even heard about the amazing waterfall in Dean's ravine until we hiked right up to it.

In defense of the nimby's, as a CT local I assume you know some of the backstory regarding that area. Those particular landowners keep having problems to this day. Last time I was up there was on a perfect Sunday morning in April. We passed a total of probably two dozen people hiking up as we hiked Southbound towards dark entry road and the impression I got was that my hiking buddy and I were the only people on that mountain that weren't intent on turning off trail and trespassing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Try backpacking the Nipmuck Trail from Mansfield Hollow to Bigelow. 2 remote camping spots along the rivers and 2 leantos in Bigelow and another camping spot by the reservoir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Try backpacking the Nipmuck Trail from Mansfield Hollow to Bigelow. 2 remote camping spots along the rivers and 2 leantos in Bigelow and another camping spot by the reservoir
    Willimantic River?

Images

I love this thread. I spend 90% of my time on the A.T especially in CT, but I got my start on the Blue trails and there are some fantastic hikes along the traprock ledges of the M&M trails, as well as almost 1,000 miles of other great trails. I'm going to be finishing the Mohawk this fall and do some backpacking on it when my duties on the A.T. are less/off peak. Always looking for more spots to Backpack in CT. thanks for the recc on the nipmuck. I think there's also a lean to a family built on their property along the Mattabessett...

Sad about the state parks. Macedonia is a beauty, with incredible and rugged hikes that also include some of the original CT AT and its best views (Cobble Mtn and Pine just north have stunning views of the Catskills). As is Devils Hopyard. Going to be picking up the new Walk Book, thankfully its back to one volume!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    Going to be picking up the new Walk Book, thankfully its back to one volume!
    Mine arrives today!

Actually, it has arrived already. It was sitting at the front door. It is a single book. I kind of liked the big maps of the old one and that it was a 3-ring binder so you could photocopy just the one you need for your current hike.

Thanks for the inputs; I also spoke with the CT state senator secretary for my area who wondered what is the advantage of having $0 revenue at a park like Macedonia or Devil's Hopyard? Makes no sense. So hopefully we will see some positive developments, it is vital to reach out to those who have the power to change things, the governor's secretary took down my complaint a month ago.

On an earlier issue the closing of the laundromat to hikers in Kent, I contacted a bunch of people on that in government and newspapers which resulted in some investigations and the re-opening, so you never know.

Images

those walk book maps were great, but the two volumes made very little sense given the amount of overlap. if they could do a single volume binder with those maps that would be great.

Images

kent just built a 'welcome center' a small building in town along the main road that has public restrooms and showers i believe. Haven't seen it in person though its as much to answer hikers needing a bathroom as the many other tourists...

I'm new here and to trails in general but I plan on attempting an AT northbound threw hike next year and being from CT I've been making it a point to get out on the blue trails every chance I get, at least one good hike a weekend but I've been doing 2 (work mon-fri so 2 is pretty much the most I can get in a week). I started the New England Trail from the eastern Mattabesett section and the southern Menenkutuck section to the Lone Pine loop and now up to ragged mountain this coming weekend. Like I've heard from others, I was surprised how nice, scenic and diverse the trails have been through CT so far, even through such populated areas - only downer being only 3 campsites allowed on the trail. Lucky I live mid CT so I can section hike the whole CT part with under an hour drive but I hit the Rockland Preserve campsite and the Cattails Shelter to make use out of what I can, now theres only one left up in Granby...

The Mohawk Trail is huge on my bucket list for this year and I hear nothing but good things about it. Years ago with some buddy's we tried sneaking into "Dudley Town" where they have the problems by the Dark Entry Rd. area which is all I was interested in... now I have no interest in that and just want to go hike the trail! I see theres some lean to campsites on the trail I'm hoping to hit, looks like there free but they want you to reserve 2 weeks in advance.

sucks to hear about the campsites even though I'm not (yet) familiar with them ... not much else to add and I have no other state/trails to compare to but I've been pretty impressed so far with the blue trails in CT - those trap rock ledge walks have been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    What's even more amazing is Connecticut doesn't have a single national forest. Heck even Texas has a national forest.
    Texas has 4 National Forests and 2 National Grasslands and 2 National Parks.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

CT is a tiny state compared to many of the others, I guess we should be grateful for what we do have, beaches, the trails and "civilization". The state is resolving the budget, not sure if anything was decided on the campgrounds. A lot of gambling money and hedge funds, corporations, etc. have declined substantially. The state economy is poor, almost like an addict going off constant infusions that gets cut off.

CT is a tiny state compared to many of the others, I guess we should be grateful for what we do have, beaches, the trails and "civilization".

Right. See my post # 13 early in this thread. Comparisons are pointless.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

CT has a fairly well managed, robust trail system compared with a lot of other states. Regardless where in the State one is, they are not more than a few minutes drive from a trail system that can deliver many miles of hiking in different terrain. Having worked in places where long drives to trail systems of significance like Texas, I've a much greater appreciation of the trail system in CT.

Good book, I went through it years ago and did a lot of hikes: https://www.amazon.com/50-Hikes-Conn.../dp/0881504963

The Hardys talked about how on some hikes on the AT the decaying hulks of the American chestnut trees were still visible in the 1970s from the blight of the 1930s.

There are usually ways to slealth camp with or without a car and I have zero concern about the laws about this in a sterile society with little robust vigor addressing basic needs of the people. Just exercise due caution and common sense and leave no trace enjoying the great outdoors.

It is really too bad that Connecticut can't or won't allocate the funds to keep beautiful places like Macedonia Brook State Park open for 2017. I was born and raised in Connecticut and have very fond memories of camping at this park with my Dad when I was very young. NW CT is absolutely beautiful.

I wouldn't get too upset that CT doesn't have any wilderness areas. It is a small state afterall. Mass doesn't have wilderness areas either far as I know.

And don't even get me started about the state of Texas. I'll simply say that the rest of the country would be better off if the Lone Star state were to go its own way and become its own country.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++