WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 4 season tent

Journal Entries

Default 4 season tent

I'm planning a August start from Maine with a Lab; so getting 2 person tent; do I need a for season tent? Expect November early December finish.

Images

I would say that for most of your expected weather, a three season would be fine, and is quite a bit lighter. It would also be more comfortable in the warm weather - you will still have quite a bit of that.

That said, a four season will be substantially warmer and more storm-proof in the occasional/semi frequent severe storms you may encounter.

How's that for a definitive answer?

Cannot say about the tent but once you get to Mass. you will have shelter space. Weekenders you will see but I never saw the shelters full. By the time you get to Virgina you will be alone with a couple other southbounders. In 2012 I climbed Katahdin on Aug. 3 . I got to Standing Bear Hostel on 12-15 my flip flop was done. I had about 6 zeros

Garlic
    Images

On the AT, it's easy to pay attention to the five-day weather forecast. If several feet of snow are predicted for the high country somewhere, you'll know about it in advance and can plan accordingly. So unless you are looking for that kind of adventure (or are clueless about weather forecasts), and really want to carry a load, there's no need for a four-season tent. And as noted above, there'll be plenty of shelter space.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Not too many reasons to carry a 2 person tent either. There are several 1+ or 1 1/2 person tents around. The TarpTent StratoSpire 1 comes to mind. Look at the photos on the TarpTent web pages. Several of their 1 person tents will accommodate two sleeping pads. Several have 2 side doors and 2 vestibules also.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I carried a Tarptent for a January finish. As has already been said, you will have the shelters pretty much to yourself after Labor Day.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Not too many reasons to carry a 2 person tent either. There are several 1+ or 1 1/2 person tents around. The TarpTent StratoSpire 1 comes to mind. Look at the photos on the TarpTent web pages. Several of their 1 person tents will accommodate two sleeping pads. Several have 2 side doors and 2 vestibules also.

Wayne
    He's hiking with a Lab, as in Retriever, as in I'll take up damn near as much room as another human. Having owned a couple of small 2 person tents, and a Chocolate Lab, I might be tempted to go with what's marketed as a 3 person tent if I was going to have the dog in it with me every night. Typically they are only about 1lb more than a 2 person tent. Then again, he's likely to have many of the trail shelters to himself much of the time after Labor Day, so if he uses them, it's a tough decision.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne
    In my experience, many if the UL "2 person" tents are actually glorified 1+ person tents. My TT Double rainbow works great for 1 person plus a dog, my friends' Big Agnes two person tents are even smaller.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Unless you are camping in very exposed areas, a 3 season tent is fine. Assuming, that is, it's not too flat roofed.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

If your not sure, a couple models of Tarptent come with exchangeable liners. One is predominately mesh for warm weather use and one mostly fabric for the cold. You can bounce a box with one of the liners and swap out as needed.

++ New Posts ++