WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zpacks Arc Zip in cuben vs Zpacks Arc Haul in dyneema?

It's time for a new pack. I have had nothing but great experience with everything I own from Zpacks. I haven't completely ruled out the mesh pocket on the Blast/Haul but at this point but am leaning more towards the zip. From what I understand the only design difference between the zip and the zip haul is the fabric? What are your thoughts on the Arc Zip in cuben vs dyneema? What is the different in water profess between the two?

I am liking my Arc Zip very much. So easy to pack and retrieve any item when necessary. Still incorporates the roll top too!

Default Zpacks Arc Zip in cuben vs Zpacks Arc Haul in dyneema?

I just got the arc haul zip from the bargain bin. I already love the zip part from just a small day hike to check it out I had to go into The pack to get something made it so much easier and convenient. I would've actually liked some kind a mesh on it for wet gear and tarp so I ended up purchasing side pocket for my rain gear. I really cannot speak on the difference between the material because is the first time I've had a zpack with dyneema. However after putting two hip pockets, shoulder pocket and the side pocket the pack came out to almost 2 1/2 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FiftyNine; 01-11-2017 at 11:08.

I got the Arc Haul in Dyneema for Christmas, but my wife accidentally ordered the hip belt and shoulder strap pockets in cuben.
    I was not thrilled with the crinkly feel of the cuben pockets at all, and much happier with the smoother and quieter feel of the dyneema.
    Love the pack, BTW, and the company. Great customer service and communication via email was smooth.

For only 3 extra oz the dyneema is worth a slight weight penalty for the durability IMO. I have not had a single issue with the mesh on the back and like a place to put all the stuff I may need during the day that won't fit in other pockets as well as storage for wet gear. I do like the Zip but once you add a trash compactor liner to keep everything dry you negative having a need for it.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    For only 3 extra oz the dyneema is worth a slight weight penalty for the durability IMO. I have not had a single issue with the mesh on the back and like a place to put all the stuff I may need during the day that won't fit in other pockets as well as storage for wet gear. I do like the Zip but once you add a trash compactor liner to keep everything dry you negative having a need for it.

I have everything important inside in big ziplocks. My zpacks sleeping bag came with a cuben waterproof stuff sack. I haven't used a trash compactor bag inside and actually quit even using a pack cover because my zlite made it so it fit awkwardly and for me it wasn't worth messing with even though I end up carrying some water weight that the fabric has absorbed. This is one of the appeals of going with the cuben for me. The only reason I like the zip pocket instead of the mesh is because this is where I feel like I would keep things I want to be able to get to easily like my phone, trail guide, and bathroom stuff and I wasn't sure about keeping them sort of unsecured in the mesh. Do you just keep those things in the top of the roll top?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    +1 Another vote for Dyneema. I have the Arc Haul in dyneema and compared to the cuben it feels bombproof.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    I have everything important inside in big ziplocks. My zpacks sleeping bag came with a cuben waterproof stuff sack. I haven't used a trash compactor bag inside and actually quit even using a pack cover because my zlite made it so it fit awkwardly and for me it wasn't worth messing with even though I end up carrying some water weight that the fabric has absorbed. This is one of the appeals of going with the cuben for me. The only reason I like the zip pocket instead of the mesh is because this is where I feel like I would keep things I want to be able to get to easily like my phone, trail guide, and bathroom stuff and I wasn't sure about keeping them sort of unsecured in the mesh. Do you just keep those things in the top of the roll top?
    I find ziplocs get holes in them far too quickly personally, even on a 5 day trip. And that's lot of bags. But each to their own on that one.

Even with cuben the Arc Zip is going to leak because of the zipper because that is the weak point and there is no way to make it completely waterproof.

I have the added top side pockets in mesh also. I keep my phone and compass in one with any permits. I keep my water filtration and stuff in the other top pouch. In the back mesh pocket I keep my map, spoon (it's long and doesn't fit anywhere else), my DeLorme InReach and maybe camp shoes (if I take them) in the back mesh pocket. I keep my toiletries in the main compartment. If it was going to rain I would put the all electronics into the main compartment in the compactor bag.

I have the Arc Zip in cuben and I really like it; I did get a small mesh pouch that I bring along sometimes to clip wet items onto the back of my pack when needed. I think the mesh pouch is about an extra ounce if I am rounding up.

Please forgive the new guy question but I thought that cuben & dyneema were the same thing ? below is why I ask the question.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/dyneema-technologies

Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier70 View Post
    Please forgive the new guy question but I thought that cuben & dyneema were the same thing ? below is why I ask the question.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.co...a-technologies

Thanks
    They are related fabrics, but not at all the same thing. Dyneema is much tougher than cuben, at least as far as wear (abrasion) resistance is concerned.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Thanks, I learned something new today.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    I have the Arc Zip in cuben and I really like it; I did get a small mesh pouch that I bring along sometimes to clip wet items onto the back of my pack when needed. I think the mesh pouch is about an extra ounce if I am rounding up.
    I will say that if I am going off-trail/bushwhacking, I generally do not use my cuben pack,just for precaution.

Images

What we are calling Dyneema is a woven product with 9 percent Dyneema threads in it. Cuben is a non woven bonded material with many more Dyneema threads. Cuben is lighter and waterproof, Dyneema is more abrasion resistant but not waterproof. Dyneema bought the Cuben product from Cuben Tech, thereby starting the confusion.

The Arc Haul and Arc Haul Zip use Dyneema X Gridstop fabric. It is a 210 denier fabric with a grid of dyneema threads to provide ripstop and extra strength.

The Arc Blast and Arc Zip use 2.92 oz/sqyd Cuben Hybrid fabric. This material is Cuben Fiber on the inside with a protective layer of 50 denier Polyester on the outside. The outer layer gives it even more strength, prevents fraying, and gives it a nice solid color.

Generally, the Dyneema X is considered to be a bombproof and abrasion resistant pack fabric that will last a very long time. The hybrid cuben is considered to be much more waterproof than the Dyneema X, but less abrasion resistant and prone to fraying over time.

Joe said that the Dyneema has a coating of polyurethane on the inside so the pack should be similar to the cuben as far as water resistance is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Joe said that the Dyneema has a coating of polyurethane on the inside so the pack should be similar to the cuben as far as water resistance is concerned.
    It isn't. It certainly isn't as susceptible to water as other fabrics used for backpacks but I did have wet stuff (anything outside my trash compactor bag) after a prolonged thunderstorm in the Black Hills in May

Not soaking wet, but very definitely damp

I ordered a dyneema zip yesterday and I asked if I needed a pack cover and was told no but to keep sleeping bag in a dry bag as a precaution.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I ordered a dyneema zip yesterday and I asked if I needed a pack cover and was told no but to keep sleeping bag in a dry bag as a precaution.
    Our method: All down products in a dry bag which is then inside of a trash compactor bag lining the dyneema Arc Haul, which is also very good at keeping 98% of the water out. It's 3 layers of protection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++