WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I have eaten K-ramen for at least 10 years, if not more. I have favorites, and some I will never eat again and the thing that is the same with them all is the price. I know the K-ramen is much better for me, but I can't justify the price that often.
    I'm sorry. I have a problem with this whole line thought.
    The last package of Korean branded, USA made Chapagetti Ramyun cost $0.65 per serving. I suppose $26/pound artisan Jerky is out of the question.
    The Chapagetti was quite tasty for those of you who find it affordable.

Cheers,
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    What i noticed in this thread was that initially there was some negative comments when llama announced he was quitting because his food wouldn't fit in his pack. But then when he asked for help and seemed sincere many people took a significant amount of their own time to offer some very good advice and help. Then when it seemed he had decided not to hike despite the help offered the tone turned negative. I think that was just some frustration on the part of the members who wanted to help him succeed.
    Agreed. Llama, or anyone else, would be hard pressed to find another site that would take the time to offer such sincere help and insight to aid in getting someone on the trail. Not that other mediums wouldn't take the time to offer up, but WB is one of the best ones. With the guidance he received, he was able to correct his packing. Now it's up to him on a personal level as opposed to a logistical one.

all this talk of ramen
    ate so much way back in college, 6 meals for a dollar I think it was, or if you were really hungry you'd do a double which would make it 3 for a dollar....
    to this day I can't hardly stand the thought of it....

and yeah, I know the Korean stuff is supposed to be better. Still, 27 years later....no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    all this talk of ramen
    ate so much way back in college, 6 meals for a dollar I think it was, or if you were really hungry you'd do a double which would make it 3 for a dollar....

and yeah, I know the Korean stuff is supposed to be better. Still, 27 years later....no thanks
    Fair enough. 4 for a $1.00 when I checked recently.
    I missed the whole Ramen thing back in the day. I'm not convinced that I will carry much Ramen on the trail. I might have some while car camping on the way to the trail.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I know a lot about all kinds of Ramen, and there's one thing that rings true for all of them with me, I dont stay full for long. I ate a ramen on the trail once. And I was starving in the middle of the night. That's the purpose of weekend shakedown trips. Every year there are these folks who spend countless hours posting gear lists and asking for advice, about to quit their jobs and embark on 6 month journeys, and quit within the first week. Damn, people, that's why they invented shakedown hikes, etc. You'd realize that your food wont fit, Ramen sucks as a "fuel", and whether or not your purse dog can hack the trail.

Way way way off topic, but
    I said that I wasn't sold on ramen for the trail.
    If I do carry it on the trail it will be my replacement for Knorr Sides which I don't get along well with. I will treat Ramen as a background for more substantial ingredients. Sausage, salami, chicken, tuna, beans, whatever.
    Back to your regularly scheduled wandering thread.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    all this talk of ramen

All this talk of Ramen has ME thinking of the seven months I lived in Sapporo in 1971-72. I was just 12 years old, but still made good use of living in the Ramen capital of the world. It was so much fun to watch the chefs make hand pulled noodles in the windows. Raman shops on every block. Could get a bowl of real Ramen for about $0.35 as I recall.

I actually thought you did a fairly good job with your gear. I always put tent on the outside. Lots of times it is damp anyways. I have the AG65 and put the tent where you put your zlite pad. I actually use a much smaller inflatable and keep it in the pack, but in the wither I also take a zlite and strap it to the tent with a couple extra straps. So you could put both on the outside if you like your zlite.

Not sure, someone said they take 1/2 lb per day. I usually take about 2lbs/day. 10 lbs fits in a lot smaller space than your food bag. you may want to reconsider what food you take.

Don't quit. Hike the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

12 pages? I can only imagine the horror that lies within. Good luck!
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

It might be revived in 2018

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    It might be revived in 2018
    How about you keep these comments to yourself?

image.png
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    And, after all that the OP is NOT going to even try hiking? Stupendous!
    Not try? You mean not hiking NOBO or not hiking at all? I've been out on the trail several times since this thread started and have done a few overnights. My pack being corrected has made this possible and I appreciate all the help I received.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Not try? You mean not hiking NOBO or not hiking at all? I've been out on the trail several times since this thread started and have done a few overnights. My pack being corrected has made this possible and I appreciate all the help I received.
    Good for you. Keep it up, take some longer trips as the weather improves and you'll be in fine shape for next year.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by kestral View Post
    Just saw the shrimp ramen video. Bless you wife.
    This.

Can't believe I've read up to 8 pages of this thread

This is the start. Still time to hike the trail this year

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    This is the start. Still time to hike the trail this year
    I think from reading the entire thread that Little Llama's hurdle to thru hiking this year has more to do with emotional (his or family) issues. Some people just don't understand or won't attempt to understand emotional issues and how debilitating they can be. I would say congrats on figuring out your pack issues and good luck overcoming whatever other issues are keeping you from thru hiking the trail this year. I hope you make an attempt in the future and are successful at it.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

... I've been out on the trail several times since this thread started and have done a few overnights. My pack being corrected has made this possible and I appreciate all the help I received.
    This is why you'll succeed, whether it's a thru or a section - only you can decide that. Postponing isn't a failure, getting out there and finding out what works for you is what will make your hike a success. Skip past the negative nancy types on this site, they probably haven't seen one mile on the AT. There's a ton of great info here and a lot of support. I wish you the best, it's a hard journey mentally and physically. Prepare and do a lot of research. My 1st thru attempt, I didn't make it. Headed out in 5 days for number 2. Good luck, keep it up, and you got this.
    - Trail name: Thumper

DM me and I'll give you my skype! I'll pack my pack alongside you and show you how to really get everything in there. I am NOT a UL hiker, I love my luxury items, (Dude, I bring a CHAIR) and I can fit it all in my exos 57. However, when I first started backpacking, I couldn't get anything to fit. There's a bit of an art to it. I'm happy to help!

What's the cliche about thru-hiking being 20% physical and 80% mental?

Clearly the OP's failure has nothing to do with his pack size. You don't need a PhD in Psychology to understand that.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++