WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We're undecided on Wednesday nights spot because the storm may affect our start time. Heading out from Appalachia and will choose between Gray Knob, sphinx col, and the outside chance of pushing to Lake of the Clouds. Weather looks good for now other than the 1-2 feet of snow through Wednesday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    We're undecided on Wednesday nights spot because the storm may affect our start time. Heading out from Appalachia and will choose between Gray Knob, sphinx col, and the outside chance of pushing to Lake of the Clouds. Weather looks good for now other than the 1-2 feet of snow through Wednesday evening.
    \

If your going up from Appalachia, it's unlikely you'd get past Gray knob. Probably best to head straight there, via Ampherbrach and Spur trail. The storm isn't getting here until Tuesday night and will linger well into Thursday. 95 MPH gusts at Madison Hut Wednesday night. Trying to cross the top of King Ravine on the Great Gulf trail will be treacherous in those conditions. The base is now basically ice, so new snow isn't going to stick very well. That means white out conditions. When it finally clears out sometime Thursday, it will still be very windy, which means staying on your feet isn't easy. It takes a lot of effort to walk into those winds, which will be basically in your face heading towards Washington. Make no mistake, it will be brutal up there. Then more weather moves in for Friday and the weekend. Hope your really up for this. Go to Gray Knob and figure it out from there. If it's not safe above tree line, you have a safe place near-by to retreat to. Just getting up to the summit of Adams could be an expedition.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I need to see if I can find any of my old photos of climbing in the High Peaks area during the 70's. Lol, lot's of Orange and Blue colors......and snow tunnels entrances.........and Woolrich Alaskan shirts (still wear that) with Green wool pants....Mouse boots.....

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    \

If your going up from Appalachia, it's unlikely you'd get past Gray knob. Probably best to head straight there, via Ampherbrach and Spur trail. The storm isn't getting here until Tuesday night and will linger well into Thursday. 95 MPH gusts at Madison Hut Wednesday night. Trying to cross the top of King Ravine on the Great Gulf trail will be treacherous in those conditions. The base is now basically ice, so new snow isn't going to stick very well. That means white out conditions. When it finally clears out sometime Thursday, it will still be very windy, which means staying on your feet isn't easy. It takes a lot of effort to walk into those winds, which will be basically in your face heading towards Washington. Make no mistake, it will be brutal up there. Then more weather moves in for Friday and the weekend. Hope your really up for this. Go to Gray Knob and figure it out from there. If it's not safe above tree line, you have a safe place near-by to retreat to. Just getting up to the summit of Adams could be an expedition.
    Sorry for the long delay in responding. I made last night's post before we'd seen the most recent forecast with the significantly increased winds above treeline. We're currently holding for 24 hours and hoping to step off on Thursday morning. Spent the day working with one of NEMO's guides on a second day of skills over at Whitehorse. We'll definitely be taking it one piece at a time, deciding whether to go at all, then how to proceed as things develop.

Quote Originally Posted by Femadog View Post
    I need to see if I can find any of my old photos of climbing in the High Peaks area during the 70's. Lol, lot's of Orange and Blue colors......and snow tunnels entrances.........and Woolrich Alaskan shirts (still wear that) with Green wool pants....Mouse boots.....
    I still have my Mouse Boots. There is no real substitute. After 20 years of old stock and looking for something better the military is getting them put back in production. My wool surplus flight pants have somehow gotten smaller, mysteriously. If I recall, almost everyone used much the same gear. I look forward to seeing your pictures. I'd go back to winter camp in the Adirondacks, probably not the Whites.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Their talking rain for Friday, not good. At least its on the warm side. Until Monday, then it's back into the freezer. This winter has been nuts. Lots of warnings about potential avalanche danger with this new snow over hard pack and ice. Several hikers in Vermont have been injured due to falls and uncontrolled slides down icy trails in the last few days.

Saw 3 hiker cars in Lowes parking lot this afternoon, so there's already a small crowd at Gray Knob to ride out the storm tonight. It's starting to crank up now and it is windy. When it's windy where I live, it's really, really windy up high.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++