WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not being snarky, but seriously, exactly what "good" are these folks doing for the hiking community? Hikers aren't starving, nor are they socially deprived, nor even homeless in a legal sense. They are on vacation. That these folks are being nice by giving out free food is certainly one possible description. But they are often doing so with the primary intent of attracting an audience for some personal reason. It's not truly done for the hikers - it's done for the providers. Perhaps that reason is just socialization. Perhaps that need is to evangelize, no matter how soft-sell or benign it may be. There is nothing inherently wrong in these activities - until they become so invasive as to infringe upon the rights of others.

blah, blah, blah.....
    You're right. Seriously snarky.

It's (trail magic) just some cool folks hanging out by the trail giving out goodies. Sure, it makes them feel good. Makes me feel good to make them feel good. I always chat with these folks, never once felt in any way preached to. They were enthralled by trail stories and talk. Good folks. Keep it up! (not that trail magic folks surf WB)

You feel your rights are infringed upon if you cross a road and there's some dude is cooking some brats on a grill and handing out sodas? And by the way, there are cars and trucks zooming by, not a pristine wilderness experience place anyway, is it? Get serious. Or actually, get less serious.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

It's (trail magic) just some cool folks hanging out by the trail giving out goodies. Sure, it makes them feel good. Makes me feel good to make them feel good. I always chat with these folks, never once felt in any way preached to. They were enthralled by trail stories and talk. Good folks. Keep it up! (not that trail magic folks surf WB)

You feel your rights are infringed upon if you cross a road and there's some dude is cooking some brats on a grill and handing out sodas? And by the way, there are cars and trucks zooming by, not a pristine wilderness experience place anyway, is it? Get serious. Or actually, get less serious.
    There are obviously differing opinions. The AT was never a pristine wilderness in most sections, something I've stated in the past and agree with you on. But it is supposed to provide that illusion or experience. Lots of things detract from that experience already - most notably overuse in some areas during certain seasons. But does that make it okay to simply allow more without any end in sight? Where exactly should a line be drawn?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

You blah blah blah'd yourself out of understanding his point. He talked about balancing the rights of competing users. He never stated his rights were more important than anyone elses rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    You blah blah blah'd yourself out of understanding his point. He talked about balancing the rights of competing users. He never stated his rights were more important than anyone elses rights.
    You have twice as many posts on this thread as the #2 poster and you complain of too many words?

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    You have twice as many posts on this thread as the #2 poster and you complain of too many words?

No, I was referring to his use of "blah blah blah" to discount an entire paragraph of 4eyedbuzzard's thoughtful post. Words make more sense in their surrounding context.

I have an injured foot, I'm retired, I can't hike, so I'm stuck indoors commenting too much. I'm fully aware of this.

Here is what the trail is like according to people here on Whiteblaze:
    There will be so many people hiking that it will be like waiting in line outside a Walmart for the Black Friday store opening, there will be 50 people at each shelter, you have climb over mounds of human excrement each marked with a toilet paper flag, rats and vermin will attack you if you dare to stay in a shelter and every 100 feet someone will assault you with hotdogs and a sermon. It wasn't that way in 2008 and I doubt it will be in that way in 52 days when I start my second attempt.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

HYOH, if you don't condone it, keep moving. Just as the trail has become more popular, so have those wanting to help hikers. It is simple supply and demand, if hikers were not stopping, those offering would stop coming. Every hiker has tough days where a cold soda and something to eat can turn their entire day around.

When they start running power to shelters and adding vending machines, you can start to worry.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Here is what the trail is like according to people here on Whiteblaze:
    There will be so many people hiking that it will be like waiting in line outside a Walmart for the Black Friday store opening, there will be 50 people at each shelter, you have climb over mounds of human excrement each marked with a toilet paper flag, rats and vermin will attack you if you dare to stay in a shelter and every 100 feet someone will assault you with hotdogs and a sermon. It wasn't that way in 2008 and I doubt it will be in that way in 52 days when I start my second attempt.
    But if you believe ATC's stats are at least somewhat accurate, there will be twice as many, or more, hikers starting the trail than you experienced in 2008. You'll be at the tail end of the bubble, so perhaps you'll make note of the impact on the trail as well. It would be interesting to read your journal or reports if you choose to post them. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/2000-milers
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    No, I was referring to his use of "blah blah blah" to discount an entire paragraph of 4eyedbuzzard's thoughtful post. Words make more sense in their surrounding context.

I have an injured foot, I'm retired, I can't hike, so I'm stuck indoors commenting too much. I'm fully aware of this.
    I guess I was a little Snarky myself (also a tad infirmed right now...) but I think I understood his post. My point was his post was TOO thoughtful, on a very simple (IMHO) subject, discussing "rights" about hikers w.r.t. trail angels? We all just think differently! PYOP !

Images

Ooops... I also meant to apologize for my snarkitude.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Some of you seem to assume that all hiker feeds are connected to a church. I do a little cook out near Antietam shelter just inside PA every year. I do it because I like to pay back the kindness others showed me on the trail. Hamburgers on the grill, feel free to walk by if you like.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by aruthenb View Post
    When they start running power to shelters and adding vending machines, you can start to worry.
    It had already started.

With the help of the ALDHA, Waynesboro Virginia has installed a solar powered charging station on a shelter at the edge of town.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

In hindsight, I probably shouldn't have used the words "rights", but rather experience. I did so because of the example given about Arnold Abbott and the Ft. Lauderdale homeless feeds which were more a legal/political issue.

BTW, I certainly don't hate those who feed hikers. It isn't the downfall of civilization - or perhaps more aptly the escape from civilization - as we know it. But I do think that many should be more honest with themselves regarding the motivation. It's okay to do things for others if it makes you feel good. Or to simply spend some time supporting them and sharing in their adventure. No problem. But I kind of reject the notion that hikers need to be fed, anything, nutritionally, socially, spiritually, or otherwise. They may, and likely many do, enjoy it. But there is no true need except in the minds of the providers.

And FWIW, I think that hiker feeds are far down the list of issues that need to be addressed regarding the AT. The overuse in the Springer Fever season is a far more pressing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Some of you seem to assume that all hiker feeds are connected to a church. I do a little cook out near Antietam shelter just inside PA every year. I do it because I like to pay back the kindness others showed me on the trail. Hamburgers on the grill, feel free to walk by if you like.
    Until recently I was a volunteer driver for the elderly in my town. I had to quit because of the expense and the time spent caring for my own father. Some of the people really needed the service, for groceries, for doctors visits out of town, etc. Some were rich and could have hired a driver, some didn't want to impose on their children, a lot of them just wanted someone to talk to.

I didn't really do it for them however, it was pure selfishness on my part. Not all selfishness is bad. That said, I don't loiter on the town green and offer to help out every gray haired person passing by.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    It had already started.

With the help of the ALDHA, Waynesboro Virginia has installed a solar powered charging station on a shelter at the edge of town.
    On a slightly more humorous note, did any body stay in the shelter, I think the one just south of Hiwasee (deep gap?), and see the 110 volt outlet on the interior wall? It wasn't hooked up to anything, just a nice dual-outlet sitting there.... hikers were plugging their phones in, it was kinda humorous.

On a slightly more humorous note, did any body stay in the shelter, I think the one just south of Hiwasee (deep gap?), and see the 110 volt outlet on the interior wall? It wasn't hooked up to anything, just a nice dual-outlet sitting there.... hikers were plugging their phones in, it was kinda humorous.
    Nice!

You+mother+f+ker_e094a3_4874018.jpg

Images

No, but I've heard of it. Hopefully it was a GFCI with outdoor cover, you know, just to be up to NEC and such. [If you're going to pull a practical joke, ya gotta be professional about it.]

In 08 I don't remember a large number of "hiker feeds". I only actually participated in two. I suppose it is just a matter of timing. The best trail magic I experienced was being put up in a couples' house (with 8 other hikers) for 4 days. Five of us, all strangers, started the same day. They drove around to various intersections to pick us all up. They had a magic refrigerator. Every time I opened the door it was fully stocked with beer. I have since met them a couple of times in CO and we have hiked a few 14ers together. Have a friend for life.

Personally if I lived near a long-distance hiking trail I would provide a little trail magic in the form of pop, snacks, garbage, etc. Wouldn't particularly care if a few cyber hikers took offense to it...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    In 08 I don't remember a large number of "hiker feeds". I only actually participated in two. I suppose it is just a matter of timing. The best trail magic I experienced was being put up in a couples' house (with 8 other hikers) for 4 days. Five of us, all strangers, started the same day. They drove around to various intersections to pick us all up. They had a magic refrigerator. Every time I opened the door it was fully stocked with beer. I have since met them a couple of times in CO and we have hiked a few 14ers together. Have a friend for life.

Personally if I lived near a long-distance hiking trail I would provide a little trail magic in the form of pop, snacks, garbage, etc. Wouldn't particularly care if a few cyber hikers took offense to it...
    An interesting article and comments regarding frequency, and timing, of hiker feeds in 2010 from Guthook. http://www.guthookhikes.com/2014/04/...ail-magic.html

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Ok how would one go about writing, and enforcing a ban on hiker feeds that goes through 14 states, and a multitude of county's and municipalities? It would take an act of a dictator to implement such a law.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++