WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best 40-50 mile section in proximity to Knoxville

It appears that I will have 5 or so days to spare on a Knoxville business trip around May 12th, '19.
    Taking into consideration that I will need a shuttle of some sort and the expected weather; what section(s) would folks-in-the-know recommend, please? Many thanks!

Gatlinburg and the Smokies would be the closest. But I bet going to Hot Springs wouldn't be much more expensive. The section from Hot Springs to Erwin has a little of bit of everything and you don't have the issues with the Smokies, like reservations, over crowding, and so on. Also, it should be too hard to get home from Erwin. Depending on how hard you want to push, starting at Davenport gap (actually, Standing Bear Hostel, which is just off the highway) might be an option and is mostly highway from Knoxville. I'd have to look it up, but I believe Hot springs to Erwin would be a 4 night, 5 day trip?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Weather middle of May? I'd guess reasonably mild to getting down right hot.

Shouldn't be too hard to get home from Erwin, but you knew I meant that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard to get home from Erwin, but you knew I meant that right?
    Of course... thanks for your input! I am coming up with somewhere around 70 miles, H.S to Erwin.
    Last edited by cynhikr; 02-01-2019 at 21:32.

Images

Are you set on doing a AT section? There are a lot of potential loop hikes in the Smokies. You could spend less time shuttling and more time hiking.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Are you set on doing a AT section? There are a lot of potential loop hikes in the Smokies. You could spend less time shuttling and more time hiking.
    I was thinking the same thing... and there's plenty of 4 night loops you can do and not need a shuttle.

Journal Entries

My first choice would be the Smokies if your schedule allows, but shuttles to either end can be long and pricey.
    I'm assuming you will have a car (rental or your own) so driving north for 2-3 hours is an option. If so, my second choice would be the Roan Mountain area. Rhododendrons on Roan Mountain and the balds to the north and south are in full bloom during mid-June. If you're definitely coming back to do more sections, then save Roan Mtn for later. If not, go hike them in May. Still lovely!
    Third choice is section between Smokies and Roan Mtn.

Images

Middle of May is good for wild flowers. Temperatures can vary. Historically mild with good bit of rain, but weather seems to be less and less predictable.

Erwin to Laurel Creek Falls.

++ New Posts ++