WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    With your anticipated MPD's(I think JB just dropped out of hiking with ya when you mentioned those MPd's) you'll have time to fish.
    I'm no fisherman, I'm afraid. Wouldn't know what to bring or where to start. I've cleaned way more than my share of fish that others have caught, though. Grew up on waterfront. Come out and hike a section with me. If you catch 'em, I'll clean 'em and cook 'em.

If the MPD's are short enough that I get bored, I know what to do. Hike farther.

I really don't know how to judge MPD on this trail. I'm accustomed to hikes that have either a lot more elevation change, or a lot more pushing through brush, or loose and sharp rocks underfoot, or all of the above. I read that NPT has roughly 10k feet of elevation change in its entire length. I've had that amount on 14-mile loop on a weekend trip, and that loop included a couple of quarter-mile sections that averaged 100%+ grade. A soft and level treadway will be a novelty to me.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I have a feeling you're likely to surprise yourself, the average trail leg toting NOBO posts up numbers not much higher than yours on the rough stretches of the AT. I would imagine you will see a 125-140% increase in your MPD IF you let yourself have them.

I know we are in violent agreement that you can only travel as fast as the trail will let you. You may find that when the trail lets you- your own experience and expectations will be the limiting factor in how far you go. I would not be the least shocked to see you hitting near 20's if you allow it. 2x10 is 20- 10 hours of hiking and four hours of breaks still leaves 10 hours of sleeping.

See how it goes, but don't be shocked to find yourself in camp earlier than planned, not as tired as you are used to. Walking is quite pleasant when you are allowed to simply walk. Energy is plentiful when not burned on grade, route-finding, bushwhacking. One day all us speedy folks got to camp at 3 pm and said, "You know what, I feel good, I'm going back out." Next thing you know....

Come out and hike a section with me. If you catch 'em, I'll clean 'em and cook 'em.

Does that apply to the dirty dishes in the sink I currently have too? That's a great offer but other hikes are already on the hiking itinerary and I'm scrambling to fit those in between work commitments already.

The NPT is a lower elevation rather very level trail that is IMHO rather an easy stroll. Thinking about all the water the NPT crosses or nears that makes perfect sense. IMO, it's quite a bit easier than many of those Adirondack Park trail miles. But, being that, IMO, it is also more prone to muddy trail nowhere near as rocky as many of the Dak PK trails.

You don't need to get fancy with NPT fishing gear. A cheapy UL Shakespeare telescopic pole w/ decent/or better quality UL spinning reel loaded w 4 lb test and some small spinners(Rooster tails, Panther martins, Mepps, small spoons) and possibly some small plugs like floating Rapalas(F-03 and F-05) http://www.rapala.com/rapala/lures/o...d=rapala-lures is all you need. NY state has 7 day Resident Freshwater Fishing license for $12. http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6091.html

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    I have a feeling you're likely to surprise yourself, the average trail leg toting NOBO posts up numbers not much higher than yours on the rough stretches of the AT. I would imagine you will see a 125-140% increase in your MPD IF you let yourself have them.
    OK. I'll see how it goes. I'm figuring that what's easier on the muscles and the wind might be harder on the feet and the knees, so I'm not making any promises to myself about the mileage. I'm planning to tote along, if not the guidebook, at least a set of maps and a mileage table with shelter and campsite locations. If the miles come easier than I expect, I can replan on the fly.

I'm in no hurry. I'm bringing a few toys and I can keep myself amused.

Since the NPT is a relatively short trail one can choose MPD to accommodate their schedule to complete it and enjoy themselves while out there. I have done it NOBO and SOBO, and as a section hike. I have done it fast and slow. I often use portions of it for 30ish mile weekend trips. Some areas are flat, soft and easy. Other sections might be flat, but rocky, rooty or muddy. It is a nice trail to enjoy. Lots to explore off the trail too. Truly a HYOH type as the options seem endless. My next jaunt is hopefully a low MPD to just spend time out there.

Kevin, I'm planning a NOBO thruhike starting Sept. 28 so we'll likely meet on the trail.

I hiked about 70 miles last year, starting Sept. 26 and found that timeframe ideal for the colors. Your Oct. 7 date may be past peak, but I suppose every year is different.

Did a quick overnight Benson to Piseco a few weeks ago with my son. Lots to explore and kick back and enjoy the ponds along the way. The trail was in good shape. Enjoy your trip.

Hey AK-Sincere apologies for not responding to this quicker--my plans were in a state of flux till recently and I've rescheduled some things. I've had to move my start date up a couple weeks, I'll be heading out from Godfrey on Sept 27th and hopefully ending up in Lake Placid around Oct 9th, so if we pass each other it'll be right at the start of your trip, probably north of Long Lake or thereabouts. I'll definitely keep an eye open for you, (I'll bring my harmonica if you bring your recorder! haha) I'm disappointed that with my new time frame I wont be able to spend as much time as Id like on the trail, (I'm also in the 8-12mpd category usually, I prefer an ambling leisurely stroll to cranking out big miles), however it became a "do it quick or wait till next year" type of deal, and I dont wanna have to forfeit what will probably be my last trek of the year. CookerHiker, looks like I'll be starting a day ahead of you--I'm planning 2 nights at Lake Durant campground so I can spend a while at the ADK museum; so maybe i'll run into you somewhere along the way. Gonna be a an awesome trip!!

Quote Originally Posted by Algae View Post
    Hey AK-Sincere apologies for not responding to this quicker--my plans were in a state of flux till recently and I've rescheduled some things. I've had to move my start date up a couple weeks, I'll be heading out from Godfrey on Sept 27th and hopefully ending up in Lake Placid around Oct 9th, so if we pass each other it'll be right at the start of your trip, probably north of Long Lake or thereabouts. I'll definitely keep an eye open for you, (I'll bring my harmonica if you bring your recorder! haha) I'm disappointed that with my new time frame I wont be able to spend as much time as Id like on the trail, (I'm also in the 8-12mpd category usually, I prefer an ambling leisurely stroll to cranking out big miles), however it became a "do it quick or wait till next year" type of deal, and I dont wanna have to forfeit what will probably be my last trek of the year. CookerHiker, looks like I'll be starting a day ahead of you--I'm planning 2 nights at Lake Durant campground so I can spend a while at the ADK museum; so maybe i'll run into you somewhere along the way. Gonna be a an awesome trip!!
    2 friends and I are starting our NOBO mid-day Sept. 25 - we changed our date to accommodate our shuttler and it works out better for our personal schedules anyway. We hope to finish around October 6 so we may not see you, but you never know.

We'll leave a car at Lake Durant with our food for the second half of the hike. Wakely Dam is closer to the half-way point, but Lake Durant is more accessible and convenient to Blue Mountain Lake.

Have a good hike!

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Sorry that it's likely we won't connect! I know I'm getting started late in the season, but it can't be helped, with the other things I have going on.

My wife is planning to meet me for a zero day at Lake Durant, so that we can hit the ADK Museum ourselves. That's the main reason I have for going SOBO: wanting to get there before it closes for the season. I'm not fast enough to get there from Benson in less than a week.

You have a great hike, too!

A few of us will be basecamping at Wakely oct 4-5. We will likely be "across the dam". If you happen to wander through Sat, be sure to stop by.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russb View Post
    A few of us will be basecamping at Wakely oct 4-5. We will likely be "across the dam". If you happen to wander through Sat, be sure to stop by.
    I'm not starting until the 7th. I have a family wedding to go to in Chicago on the 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I'm not starting until the 7th. I have a family wedding to go to in Chicago on the 4th.
    Maybe our last day will be your first day - if you see a car with a PA license plate, it belongs to my hiking partner.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I had to bail out because of a minor illness, having completed Lake Placid-Long Lake. I'm going to climb back on the horse and do Piseco-Benson, and then say that the middle half of the trail will still be there next year. The northern section was an adventure, what with all the rain.

Journal at http://trailjournals.com/AnotherKevin and pictures at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ke9tv/...7648765028802/ if anyone's interested.

AT 2012

thanks, AK. you have helped me to decide to hike there next September. Seems like you had quite the adventure!
    Lazarus

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

1azarus: You're a lot faster than I am, and Just Bill's suggestion of a fast and light end-to-end without resupply would make sense for you. A strong hiker can do it in a week.

Day 1: Benson trailhead (new section opened in 2014) to Mud Lake lean-to : 18.5 miles
    Day 2: Mud Lake lean-to to Jessup River campsite : 18.9 miles. Grab a sandwich and some snacks at Casey's general store in Piseco, it's right on the trail.
    Day 3: Jessup River campsite to First Cedar Lake lean-to : 17.8 miles
    Day 4: First Cedar Lake lean-to to Stephens Pond lean-to : 18.8 miles
    Day 5: Stephens Pond lean-to to Catlin Bay lean-to #2 : 20.0 miles including a 2000 foot climb over the Blue Mountain/Mount Sabattis ridge. This would be the toughest day of the trip, but camping opportunities between Lake Durant and Route 28N are limited.
    Day 6: Catlin Bay lean-to to Ouluska Pass lean-to : 17.7 miles. Phone your wife from Plumley's Point lean-to #2. There's (susrprisingly) a cell signal there. There isn't one anywhere else on the trail.
    Day 7: Ouluska Pass to Lake Placid : 17.7 miles to trailhead, another 1.6 roadwalk or hitch into town.

Mud Lake lives up to its name. The best option for getting water at Mud Lake lean-to is to backtrack a short distance to where you crossed a beaver pond outlet on wet planks at the west end of the lake. Obviously, the water will need treatment.

Options (even other than slowing down) for extending the trip are endless.

From Stephens Pond, a ten-mile or so day trip would bring you into Blue Mountain Lake village and the Adirondack Museum - well worth a visit.

From Catlin Bay, it's a ten-mile or so day trip into Long Lake village. Long Lake village also has motels, a laundromat and two general stores, so it's a good place to zero. I recommend Motel Long Lake and Cottages, on Dock Street north of the village. Have your wife join you, rent a canoe, and paddle back up to Catlin Bay for lunch.

Bear in mind that this plan is your trip, not mine, and I'm giving you mileages that are half again what I personally feel comfortable with. But I've seen the little wings on your trail runners.

Trip wrap-up?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    Trip wrap-up?
    I got sick part way through and took a few days off, then leapfrogged forward and did the south end of the trail. Total was a little over half the trail. The middle section will still be there next year.

It was an adventure.

Journal at http://trailjournals.com/AnotherKevin with pics from the two sections at https://flic.kr/s/aHsk5n791A and https://flic.kr/s/aHsk4VSZgL.
    Last edited by Another Kevin; 11-04-2014 at 15:22.

It's easy enough to resupply/supplement though even for a fast hiker. You go right by Long Lake with its grocery store, Piseco PO, and the convenience store for starters.

Was it mudeee AK?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++