WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Doing a winter section hike in a few weeks, what do I need?

I'm no stranger to hiking or snow hiking but most of my hiking experience is from the CDT, do I need microspikes or snow shoes at this point in the year for new england AT section hike? I plan to head out for about a month or two in a few weeks.

Do you enjoy postholing through three or four feet of rotten snow? Then no, you wont need snowshoes. Do you enjoy sliding on your ass down a mountain? Then you probably wont want microspikes.

now me? I'll be taking snowshoes until at least May, and maybe Spikes until the end of May. There's still snow in the mountains until June in some years.

I would take NOAA weather radio, to avoid an unsuspected weather surprise.

Hiking poles?

where are you going? conditions will vary a lot, but almost anywhere you can run into full on winter or possibly a ton of mud at lower elevation

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Do you enjoy postholing through three or four feet of rotten snow? Then no, you wont need snowshoes. Do you enjoy sliding on your ass down a mountain? Then you probably wont want microspikes.

now me? I'll be taking snowshoes until at least May, and maybe Spikes until the end of May. There's still snow in the mountains until June in some years.
    Ahhh... I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning....

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Yea, where are you going? It seems we're already into mud season and you really, really ought to stay off the trails. The lower elevations and south facing slopes will be mud pits and the higher elevations and north sides will be deep, sloppy snow or ice flows.

I suspect southern Vermont is mostly snow free at this point and although we've had a lot of melting this last week, there is still a lot of snow in the Whites and Maine. If you want to go hiking this time of year, start in NJ. By the time you get into MA, maybe things will have dried out a little and you won't be hiking in knee deep mud and trashing the trail.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

My intention is to start off at bear mountain in salisbury CT and move north. Is that a bad move you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    My intention is to start off at bear mountain in salisbury CT and move north. Is that a bad move you think?
    Yes, a very, very bad move. It's hard to say what conditions will be in a couple of weeks, but they probably aren't going to be very good. It's going to cool down a little next week with possibly some sloppy sleet storms. That will likely continue for the next month to 6 weeks. Some mild days in between cold rain and slush storms. A miserable time to be out hiking.

Either start much farther south or wait a month or two. The seasons seem to be running 4 to 6 weeks ahead of normal this year. Normally one would wait until mid May to start hiking in Vermont and points north. This year it might be okay by mid April.

The other issue is once the ski areas shut down, which will be soon now this year, the whole state of Vermont pretty much shuts down until the summer tourist season starts back up Memorial weekend, so there will be few services available to speak of. Mud season is when everyone who can get out of the state, does so.

I don't know if you've already hiked the trail in VA, but as an alternative, there are some good options there that would be more suitable in a few weeks. Still could get cold snaps and snow (especially at elevation), but no thru-hikers there yet and a lot better than new england overall at that time of year

Keep in mind VT closes trails on the AT and LT from early to mid April (depending on snow melt timing) to near the end of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Keep in mind VT closes trails on the AT and LT from early to mid April (depending on snow melt timing) to near the end of May.
    Actually, it's only trails on state land, which are the Camels Hump and Mansfield areas which are north of the AT, but Hikers are strongly encouraged to stay off all trails, including the AT segment of the LT during mud season.

u need a plane ticket to Florida
    hike the Florida Trail in winter

Images

Default Ownership / Jurisdiction can be confusing

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Actually, it's only trails on state land, which are the Camels Hump and Mansfield areas which are north of the AT, but Hikers are strongly encouraged to stay off all trails, including the AT segment of the LT during mud season.
    It's NOT just the LT around Camels Hump and Mansfield. The routing of the AT in the Rutland / Killington area is somewhat complex AND does go over both State and Municipal lands. Typically, the State of VT in cooperation with the Green Mountain Club issues strongly worded requests/directives to keep off trails, but doesn't officially close them from a legal standpoint - but technically they could, which would make hiking in those areas outright illegal and subject to law enforcement action.

Regarding the AT: Take this short section for example of the confusion over "what jurisdiction governs the land am I on?": Going NOBO, about 3 miles past Gov. Clement Shelter (before the side trail to Killington) the AT goes from USFS/AT lands onto VT State Forest and Parks lands. It stays on State (Forest and State lease to Killington Ski) lands for approx 4 miles until about until between Snowden Peak and Pico, where it goes back onto USFS GM Nat Forest/AT Corridor lands for approx 3 miles, then it goes onto Rutland City Forest lands for approx 3 miles until just before Maine Junction, then back onto USFS/AT lands for 2 miles after the AT/LT split, then onto State lands at Gifford Woods State Park for about a 1 mile section, before going back onto USFS/AT lands and continuing east (NOBO).

VT "closes" the trails for a reason - to prevent damage to the trails and terrain bordering the footpath. If you respect the trail, and the right of other hikers to enjoy it, you'll abide by the requests to keep off the trails.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    It's NOT just the LT around Camels Hump and Mansfield. The routing of the AT in the Rutland / Killington area is somewhat complex AND does go over both State and Municipal lands. Typically, the State of VT in cooperation with the Green Mountain Club issues strongly worded requests/directives to keep off trails, but doesn't officially close them from a legal standpoint - but technically they could, which would make hiking in those areas outright illegal and subject to law enforcement action.

Regarding the AT: Take this short section for example of the confusion over "what jurisdiction governs the land am I on?": Going NOBO, about 3 miles past Gov. Clement Shelter (before the side trail to Killington) the AT goes from USFS/AT lands onto VT State Forest and Parks lands. It stays on State (Forest and State lease to Killington Ski) lands for approx 4 miles until about until between Snowden Peak and Pico, where it goes back onto USFS GM Nat Forest/AT Corridor lands for approx 3 miles, then it goes onto Rutland City Forest lands for approx 3 miles until just before Maine Junction, then back onto USFS/AT lands for 2 miles after the AT/LT split, then onto State lands at Gifford Woods State Park for about a 1 mile section, before going back onto USFS/AT lands and continuing east (NOBO).

VT "closes" the trails for a reason - to prevent damage to the trails and terrain bordering the footpath. If you respect the trail, and the right of other hikers to enjoy it, you'll abide by the requests to keep off the trails.
    I probably should have stated that a bit more clearly. Thanks for the clarification(s). Given how the issue is taken quite seriously in VT, I tend to consider them "closed" for travel until around Memorial Day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I probably should have stated that a bit more clearly. Thanks for the clarification(s). Given how the issue is taken quite seriously in VT, I tend to consider them "closed" for travel until around Memorial Day.
    As we all should. It amazes me sometimes - and I'm not citing anyone here in this thread - when people decide it's okay for them to hike during closures. The trail wouldn't even exist without GMC, ATC, etc, yet a few people feel they are "special". /SMH
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

It may be difficult for me to get to start at a location different than salisbury, CT due to certain circumstances. How hazardous would it be to hike southbound from there instead of northbound?

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    It may be difficult for me to get to start at a location different than salisbury, CT due to certain circumstances. How hazardous would it be to hike southbound from there instead of northbound?
    Much less hazardous. Not much elevation between there and VA. In a couple weeks, you'd probably be looking at day time temps of around 50 +- 20, and evening avg in 30s or so.

Unlikely to hit much lasting snow, but not sure on mud/ice for that area

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Much less hazardous. Not much elevation between there and VA. In a couple weeks, you'd probably be looking at day time temps of around 50 +- 20, and evening avg in 30s or so.

Unlikely to hit much lasting snow, but not sure on mud/ice for that area
    Yea, not quite as bad as going north, but it's still going to be really sloppy. Hope you like cold wet feet. You picked a really poor time of year to hike this part of the trail.

-

you are in new york - lets say start at pawling going south - bring shorts and sunscreen, insect repellant is optional

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++