WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Don't believe me. Here is another opinion.
    http://sectionhiker.com/buying-weste...sleeping-bags/
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Hey all, forgive the lapse in update. Holidays, family, more research, updating, etc is all time consuming.

Please see my updated list again: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Bday/Xmas gifts served me well. The right-most column indicates whether I have the item listed now. I've made a few revisions per everyone's input and also made some winter additions as I saw in use by hikers I'm following online who started in Jan/Feb this year. Please critique all. There isn't much change in the clothing department as that is still a confusing area to me so specific guidance and suggestions there would be greatly appreciated.
    - For one, would a 100-150wt base layer be good enough while hiking considering the Feb start or will I need a thicker weight? (Hiking pants will be worn over the base)
    - Is the R1 fleece sufficient for a Feb. start / does anyone know of good, less-expensive alternatives I could replace it with?
    - Considering the ZPacks Arc Haul is highly water resistant, if I use a trash compactor bag inside, is it safe to say I won't need a pack cover?
    - If the above is true, should I be able to get by with the FroggToggs UL2 suit for my rain shell?
    - To those with experience with WM bags: will an Alpinite, on top of the XTherm, with a 250wt baselayer, thick socks, and appropriate layering with down jacket and other items listed be enough for the conditions I might see with a Feb start? Or would I need to add a liner to stretch its temperature?
    - Are compression shorts a good idea to replace underwear while hiking? Riding has always been an issue after hours of walking so I'm wary whether traditionally-cut undies will work out.

Thanks again!

100 to 150 wt is good if its cold. If its in the 20's, you may find its too warm if wearing another layer over it and hiking in your baselayers may be preferable, but keep in mind, you will always want to keep one set of dry baselayers safely in your pack. Those are your sleeping clothes or emergency "0h ****! Im going to die" layer.

nothing wrong with patagucci baselayers. I have several, in fact. R1 hoody is one of my favorite pieces, and I dont even like the hood. My neck is too long and I wear glasses. The hood interferes with my glasses being comfortable on my nose.

pack covers arent needed.

Whats an Alpinelite rated for? 20*?

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    100 to 150 wt is good if its cold. If its in the 20's, you may find its too warm if wearing another layer over it and hiking in your baselayers may be preferable, but keep in mind, you will always want to keep one set of dry baselayers safely in your pack. Those are your sleeping clothes or emergency "0h ****! Im going to die" layer.

nothing wrong with patagucci baselayers. I have several, in fact. R1 hoody is one of my favorite pieces, and I dont even like the hood. My neck is too long and I wear glasses. The hood interferes with my glasses being comfortable on my nose.

pack covers arent needed.

Whats an Alpinelite rated for? 20*?
    Oh yes, my gear list has another set of base layers for camp. And yes, the Alpinite is rated @20

Personally, I'd go for a down quilt over that Alpinlite. $500 is a lot of money for a 20 degree bag.
    Great cottage companies for down gear are Underground Quilts, who have two models, the Flight Jacket and the Renegade. A 950fp 20deg Flight Jacket will run you around $300, and come it at about 16.8 ounces. Half the weight of the Alpinlite, and a lot less money as well.
    Other good options are Hammock Gear with their Burrow line of quilts, where a 20 degree will be about 18 ounces, but only $234, as they use 850fp down. Enlightened Equipment has their three lines of down quilts (a 20 short, slim, 950fp Revelation will be $320 and 15.8oz).
    Finally, Loco Libre are another good option. Their Ghost Pepper in the short length comes in at $278 and 17 ounces in the 900fp.
    Underground Quilts offers 800 and 850 fill down as well, which is cheaper and slightly heavier than the 950. EE also has 800 and 850, Hammock Gear just has the 850, and Loco Libre has 800 as well.

The Arc Haul is water "resistant" and certainly not waterproof, and I would definitely use a pack liner...either a CF or just a regular trash compactor bag works great and it is what I use in my Arc Haul.

Quilts are awesome but they are not for everyone either. I love mine, and have another one on the way for my hammock. However, WM makes a superb bag if that's what you prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The Arc Haul is water "resistant" and certainly not waterproof, and I would definitely use a pack liner...either a CF or just a regular trash compactor bag works great and it is what I use in my Arc Haul.

Quilts are awesome but they are not for everyone either. I love mine, and have another one on the way for my hammock. However, WM makes a superb bag if that's what you prefer.
    With that said (regarding the use of a pack liner instead), do you think the Frogg Toggs will suffice as a rainshell? I'm trying to justify getting rid of the ZPacks Groundsheet/Poncho from my gear list in exchange for something less expensive.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Isa23 View Post
    With that said (regarding the use of a pack liner instead), do you think the Frogg Toggs will suffice as a rainshell? I'm trying to justify getting rid of the ZPacks Groundsheet/Poncho from my gear list in exchange for something less expensive.
    Plenty of people use the frogg toggs, unless you plan on bushwacking, they should be fine. Worse case, they tear up and you snag another set from a wal-mart or the like along the trail.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++