WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I'm gonna be slow so I don't want to start too late. Worried about the weather a bit though, not used to snow and cold. Thinking March 14.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Images

Sounds reasonable to me . A March 14 start means that you will have two weeks on the thru hiker crowd while adjusting to life on the trail. March is a transitional weather month with temperate dry weather accompanied by periods of cold wet weather, one day often different from the next.

Have a blast whatever the weather brings and good luck.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Sounds reasonable to me . A March 14 start means that you will have two weeks on the thru hiker crowd while adjusting to life on the trail. March is a transitional weather month with temperate dry weather accompanied by periods of cold wet weather, one day often different from the next.

Have a blast whatever the weather brings and good luck.
    Thanks for easing my mind, I can't wait!
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

Does anyone start much later than this going north? Mid or late May?

Assuming you're planning on moving quickly.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nickbreid View Post
    Does anyone start much later than this going north? Mid or late May?

Assuming you're planning on moving quickly.
    Sure some people start that late. I met AYCE at Lake of the Clouds and he started mid May if I recall. He was fast and I never saw him again. I started March 13. The weather through Georgia was great but I did get some snow in the Smokies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Currently, there are 11 signed up on the 2012 Registry to start in May (a few are SOBOs). You don't have to move quickly, per se, you'll just have to average more miles per day (of course, the two might go hand in hand). If you do find yourself falling behind you can always FLIP up North and then hike South from Katahdin.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Quote Originally Posted by barnanimal View Post
    I'm trying to decide between a start date in early March and early April. I've read a lot of blogs from each start time. Ideally, I want to begin on March 8th, which will be my 30th birthday. I'm in pretty decent endurance shape and I'm hoping to keep a steady pace of 15-20 miles throughout the trip with minimal zero days/nights in town. I know the weather will be a little better if I start a month later and I'll get to see a little more of a Spring, but I think I am too excited to wait. Any suggestions
    They say on average the weather is better starting in April than in March, but every year is different. You can get just as bad weather/snow storms starting in April at higher elevations. I would wait to see how the weather appears down in Georgia as your potential start dates approach. However you look at it though, it is still a crapshoot. Weather can turn real bad real fast in the mountains early in the season.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

No matter when you leave at some point you're going to hit bad weather. The snow I saw in the Smokies was nothing compared to the rain I saw in Maine after Irene and Lee came through!

I guess it depends on what you call bad weather. I started 3/21 this year and I was HOT nearly every day. Im starting 2/29 in 2012 to get some hiking in cooler weather in.

I'd pick March 28th or April 4, both mid-week, to avoid the weekend warrior crowd and save you some "tourist hiker" aggravation.

Journal Entries

Why would you choose to start march 1?Bad weather equals more gear, heavier pack and more packed shelters, campsites. May 1 seems like a proper start time. Longer days lighter packs and bug season is over by the time you get to Vermont nh, Maine . No brainer in my mind if feasable.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Quote Originally Posted by takethisbread View Post
    Why would you choose to start march 1?Bad weather equals more gear, heavier pack and more packed shelters, campsites. May 1 seems like a proper start time. Longer days lighter packs and bug season is over by the time you get to Vermont nh, Maine . No brainer in my mind if feasable.
    But yet you want to start in February:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1180975

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    But yet you want to start in February:http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1180975
    Like I said, "if feasable". I would like to postpone it if possible. Even if weather is good in feb a strong hiker will arrive in new England in early may which means significant snow in the whites into Maine. Its best to delay arriving in those states till July . In my humble opinion of course.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

Images

I never thought of the thru hiker crowd being an issue. My wife has spring break the week of April 1. I thought of going on a small section from springer to neels to get my feet wet, but I don't want to be there with 400 others. If I wait until mid week will it be better than say, Sunday?
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

hahaha....I see you trying to draw together a May 1st Militia rjhouser
    "It is a little star-dust caught, a segment of the rainbow which I have clutched." Higher Laws, Thoreau

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++