WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Source of Pre cooked, bulk, dehydrated pinto beans?

I don't get tired of beans on a long hike. I found one source but they require a minimum order of 150 pounds at a cost of $894. I wouldn't mind buying 20 or 25 pounds but 150 would go bad long before I'd consume them all. Thanks

Honeyville is a good source for bulk dehydrated https://shop.honeyville.com/products...-and-peas.html They dont have the pinto in quick cook but they do have black and red.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 04-21-2019 at 20:29.

I’m partial to Santa Fe Instant Refried Beans in my local supermarket. Walmart too.
    They “cook” more like freeze dried food than dehydrated. Very quick!
    Wayne

Images

https://www.preparedirect.com/BEANS_...BULK_s/286.htm

Looks like you can order just the 25 lbs. I think the 150 lbs minimum is to get the 10% discount.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 04-21-2019 at 22:03.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ive been ordering from loco bueno beans.

The guy who runs is cool.

Free shipping if you buy a bunch, email him

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

This is good info but is this the stuff you can cold soak?!

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    This is good info but is this the stuff you can cold soak?!
    Precooked dehydrated beans... whole or flakes.

Yes.

Here's the instructions for the Honeyville pinto beans.

"Soak pinto beans in water overnight and place in refrigerator. Drain beans. Add 3 parts water to 1 part soaked beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook on simmer for 1 ˝ to 2 hours stirring occasionally and serve."
    That isn't what I'm looking for.

Frontier Coop's pinto beans are refried flakes.

Santa Fe beans are refried.

Prepare Direct has the beans but they do indeed require a 150 lb. minimum order.

Harmony House has them in 4 lb. or 25 lb. containers but their website says "gently processed" not pre cooked. I called the company and Shawn told me that "gently processed" = pre cooked but why am I still skeptical?

I called Loco Bueno Beans and left a message for Greg but so far, no response.

I think I'll order 4 pounds from Harmony House and see if gently processed is the same as precooked. I'll get back with the results.
    Thanks to all that responded.

It looks like Mother Earth Products also has them in a variety of package sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Goooood stuff. I've been in the brick and mortar stores in Montpelier VT, Asheville NC, and Burnsville MN. I forget the name until you reminded me.

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I don't get tired of beans on a long hike. I found one source but they require a minimum order of 150 pounds at a cost of $894. I wouldn't mind buying 20 or 25 pounds but 150 would go bad long before I'd consume them all. Thanks
    You don't need to go mail order or buy huge amts. Bulk Depts at Whole Foods, increasingly mainstream grocery stores like Kroger, Harris Teeter, etc, EarthFare, etc sell out of bulk bins dehydrated pre cooked refried bean mix. This is pinto bean based. Refried beans are usually pinto beans unless it might say made from black beans, etc. It's a twin to the black bean flakes linked to by others.

Either you have a better Kroger than the ones around me, or I need to do some very careful wandering in my local stores to see what I'm missing.

Thanks but I don't want refried or pinto bean flakes. I'm looking for pre cooked, dehydrated whole pinto beans, preferably non salted and non spiced.

I ordered a 4 lb. jug from Harmony House. I'll report back when I receive the beans and make some bean recipes.

Images

How about dehydrating your own? Not hard, and you know what's in it. Get the dried beans, cook them up according to package directions, and dehydrate them. A good dehydrator works best (easiest?), even the cheap ones from Walmart will work fine, but you can dehydrate them in an oven just as well. A little more fussy, but works just fine. The beans usually split during drying, but that doesn't affect the taste or texture, and makes them easier to rehydrate.

Last edited by Jayne; 06-18-2019 at 16:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    Walmart! 37 pound, 5 gallon sealed bucket delivered for $98.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Saratoga-...Life/978915054

That'll keep you regular for a looonnnggg time.
    I dont think those are pre cooked and dehydrated

Ehh, I'm not sure either so I took it down - I see some references to dried and some to dehydrated on different web sites for the same product. These smaller packs are clearly marked though

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dehydrate...-Bag/562673322

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++