WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    hit a deer once, middle of the night, center lane of a 3 lane expressway - cannot say I saw it happen but

couple weeks ago I saw a dramatic one unfold

2 deer crossing a highway and they were moving out - easily 30 mph - (speed limit of 65)

first deer made it, so the drivers eye would be on that blur

second deer impacted the post between windshield and drivers window - it flew upward about 20 feet

vehicle pulled over so not too serious, but 1/10 of a second different could have been fatal to the driver (direct impact to the windshield)
    https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...eer-this-fall/

Tried to post this last time.

What could have happened is the driver being so focused on the lead deer he didn't see and didnt know deer often have friends.

Read that last stat as well. 60% of all human fatalities involveding deer accidents the driver and or passenger weren't wearing their seat belts which could have saved human lives. Is that the deer fault?

Journal Entries

My daughter had several deer run into side of her car in nov. She saw them on side of rd near her house and slowed down to 25, next thing....they ran into side of her car. $4500 . Replace both doors , driver mirror, trim, small dents in quarter panels.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    My daughter had several deer run into side of her car in nov. She saw them on side of rd near her house and slowed down to 25, next thing....they ran into side of her car. $4500 . Replace both doors , driver mirror, trim, small dents in quarter panels.
    happenend to me twice...like a magnet.

Journal Entries
    Images

For all the talk of deer, I recall seeing few on my thru hike.

I posted a poll here:

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...your-thru-hike

Driving to do a Winter summit of Madison in NH, early one mornin. Driving down Rt 113 towards Fryeburg, car in the other lane shines its lights on a deer in front of it crossing over into my lane in front of me. I hit the brakes to avoid hitting the deer and it, or another one, hit my car. New car, had it about 7 months. Still have the dent in my passenger door and wheel well. Stopped and looked for the dee, but never found it, just lots of deer tracks. A nearby house it turns out, puts out feed for the deer.

Started hiking Valkey Way, later than I wanted, still bummed out about the dent in my new car, just wasnt feeling it and bailed on the hike.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    For all the talk of deer, I recall seeing few on my thru hike.
    Not that many in the mountains compared to flatland.
    They actually thrive with people. Cut over areas and young reforestation provide many times the cover and browse that mature woods do. Tis why more deer here than when columbus landed, on a fraction of habitat.

How many of your deer accident accts involved driving in low light with headlights on? Driving in low light in deer areas requires added attention. This is when deer and other wildlife, as well as possibly pets, are most active.

Ever see deer on a dark no moon night hike when you suddenly flash them with your headlamp. Most times they freeze relying on sound, smell, or other senses. They dont usually move until you do.Why? With the way their eyes work they are actually blinded - blinded by the light - "a deer in the headlights." They are also biologically programmed to avoid routine predation making them prone to fleeing son etimes haphazardly. How does that play out when they are near roads at low light periods?

They get blinded by headlights, have them pass, partially regain their sight, think it's time to go, and hit the side of your car or perhaps the car behind you. It's why most deer killed in semi large truck encounters are not struck in the front but sides of the vehicle as deer jump into them.

The deer aren't attacking anyone!

That's all good DW but what does that have to do with my vehicle being damaged? Everything! The onus is on the driver - the human - the supposed higher enlightened animal - to be less ignorant, more aware, and less distracted, more attentive to the driving privledge.

https://www.autoinsurance.org/how-to...er-collisions/

What sometimes works for me knowing I'm in a likely deer area or where deer have been known to cross the road is slowing down (OMG, I have to slow down) and if safe to myself and othets, flashing headlights, or flicking hem off and suddenly back on.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    https://www.autoinsurance.org/how-to...er-collisions/

What sometimes works for me knowing I'm in a likely deer area or where deer have been known to cross the road is slowing down (OMG, I have to slow down) and if safe to myself and othets, flashing headlights, or flicking hem off and suddenly back on.
    oh perfect one, if only all could be more like you what a wonderful place the world could be

you may have missed your calling in life to be a preacher - trying to make up for it here

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by george View Post
    oh perfect one, if only all could be more like you what a wonderful place the world could be

you may have missed your calling in life to be a preacher - trying to make up for it here
    rotfl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post

No George. I say that after hitting deer twice myself, having been in vehicles multiple times in deer accidents, growing up in Pinelands Preserve always around deer, and having a willingness to understand why these occurrences happened and altering my driving habits to decrease the risks of having it occur again.

No one was attacking you. No need to attack me.

You guys really need better ignore filters.

There will always be dogs on the trail, does not make the owner an idiot. You are right, an aggressive dog should not be on the trial. That said, I have had hikers stomp right up to my dog with their hands out, scaring the crap out of me and the dog, and my dog IS mellow. Both hiker and dog owners should be cautious. If you see a dog, do not stomp up to it, and dog owners, if you see a hiker, lease your dog. And yes, if a dog charges me aggressively, it is getting bear sprayed.
    Just ignore it

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

buttermilk
    minced garlic
    big baggie
    refrigerate over night
    slice medallions, pan fry
    red wine & cream

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++