WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Alcohol

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Drinking Or No Drinking?

I own Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus, VA. Since day 1 of opening my door I have been alcohol friendly. Through the years though I have toned it down a notch to where it is more manageable.

What is your opinion as hikers, is alcohol friendly or unfriendly an issue when choosing to stay at a hostel?

Hard subject to debate Larry, Hope you are doing well.

I have a few thoughts on this

1- If it wasn't a problem, you would not have asked about it. And seeing how it could be a problem, I would see how it is not something you want to deal with.

2-People who drink are going to drink, if they have some liquor in their pack and you say no drinking, they are just going to nurse it behind your back.

3-You could be alc friendly with stipulations of not getting out of control, which for the most part people would respect, but that's the problem with when people get too intoxicated, they don't follow the rules! lol

When I was in around Laughing Heart Hostel I was coming in late on Fridays and wanted to sit out in the summer night and have a 6'er or so before bed, I asked chuck if this would be ok and he said to just not get out of control and all was well.

If people can respect your place, and socially drink a few beers that would be cool with me, but if you are having drunks tear your place up, or endanger your ability to uphold a respectable hostel, I would think about revising my alcohol policy.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Larry #1 View Post
    I own Crazy Larry's Hostel in Damascus, VA. Since day 1 of opening my door I have been alcohol friendly. Through the years though I have toned it down a notch to where it is more manageable.

What is your opinion as hikers, is alcohol friendly or unfriendly an issue when choosing to stay at a hostel?
    Splash and I had the pleasure of talking with you and using your porch last summer waiting for a ride. Also met you during my thru in 13. Moderate use is always very welcome after a long day of hiking, was great having lunch and beer sitting and chatting and I was very pleased with your policy of no hard stuff, but allowing it.

I can understand why some go no-alcohol, for one it's easier, and that is what some look for and has its audance, but there are many who do enjoy a few drinks and are wonderful people to meet, talk to and be around. I would not chose a no-alcohol hostel given the option, but would chose it over a drunk flop house hostel. I believe what you are trying to avoid is the other end, the obnoxious drunk types, which is much harder to get rid of once you allow any drinking, but I do know you can be strict enough to keep them in line or send them on their way - that will be welcome by most staying there, more than a no drinking hostel IMHO.

I voted for no drinking. Its not really a problem if someone has a few beers. Its the drunk obnoxious people. If I were going to drink anything it would be a little rum in my Coke. Believe it or not I dont get drunk. Yeah if I drank enough I would but I dont drink enough to get drunk.

I look forward to staying at your hostel someday.

I prefer non drinking, but don't are much.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

if i owned a hostel there would be no alcohol or smoking on the property

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Section hiker here. Don't really have an answer to the question. Sometimes I like to check into a hostel, shower and rest. Sometimes I enjoy drinking with people around me and having a good time.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably worry more about the liability and BS that comes with allowing booze than anything else.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I like to have a cold beer ( and cheeseburger) when I get to town. But whether or not a hostel allows drinking does not factor into my decision to stay there. I always respect the rules. Now if I owned a hostel there would be no drinking or smoking (cigarettes included) on the property.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyjam View Post
    I like to have a cold beer ( and cheeseburger) when I get to town. But whether or not a hostel allows drinking does not factor into my decision to stay there. I always respect the rules.
    This, exactly. Well, not quite, because I'd have more like 2-3 beers. Love those recovery carbs!

No matter to me whatsoever on the alcohol policy in Hostels. I sure wish smoking were banned (cigarettes banned, that is, not pot) universally, but oh well!

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

Hi Larry,

I prefer the "keep it moderate" approach as a hiker. An Amtrak-size mini-bottle of whiskey before bedtime helps me sleep, and there is a certain camaraderie to it.

But as a hostel owner I can see your predicament. When it gets out of control, whether by one or a group, it's too late to safely do much about it by yourself. And who needs the drama? Sometimes others are willing to help you stop the party or eject the totally out of control. But too often others will just recite the usual HYOH BS and not help.

So, as owner of a hostel if it's a problem for you to allow drinking because others continue to disrespect you and your premises, then just shut down the booze altogether. Same for weed. The Trail will be OK without fake stimulants or depressants.

I think if I owned a hostel, my policy would be no alcohol allowed. In practice, I wouldn't enforce it unless someone was creating a problem. I don't drink, but I'm not against it. But drunk idiots are no fun to be around, so they gots to go.
    "I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." - S. Sontag

I would vote no drinking. If someone wants to have a drink they can go to someother place to have the drink

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Not an issue for me. I can see why you'd not want to allow it, and it wouldn't keep me away. I seldom get the urge to drink when I'm Out There, and decided years ago that my flask was excess weight in my pack. If I want a drink in town I can go to the local gin mill if there is one, or just suck it up if there isn't.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

As a section hiker my decision to stop at a hostel or not is based on questions about things like showers and laundry.
    There's often other places to consume alcohol not too far from the hostel.
    If I were in your shoes I'd ban it from the hostel. The less chance for drama and problems the easier it will be for you.

Get clear what your alcohol policy for the Hostel will be. ADHERE to it. Make your alcohol policy(SHORT list of most important to you policies) clear at the door at time of check in(written on the wall in clear view where hostelers check in, also display in various public places like dorms, kitchens, gathering rooms, etc) - ONLY in moderation and with discretion, with the firm resolute look em in the eye warning "if you don't abide by the alcohol policy or the hostel's other policies you will be removed from the premises."

If it becomes a problem or has become a problem you might do away with allowing alcohol consumption altogether.

Journal Entries

Moderation and respect for others...if anyone disrespects the place or anyone there , whether drunk or sober, they should be told to find a bed somewhere else.

I'm not sure I understand voting for what is "an issue" to me at hostels, I checked friendly hopefully that was correct. Anyway I'm a big fan of the "don't be an idiot" policy when it comes to alcohol. It is nice to enjoy a cold tallboy on a hot summer night at alcohol, and I still do believe that the majority of hikers will not become belligerent animals if allowed a modest amount of alcohol. That being said I know that some will, and I don't hold it against any hostel owner who has had enough of it and put their foot down 100%. In other words I really appreciate being given the chance to act like an adult by a hostel owner, but I won't base my decision to stay somewhere on the alcohol policy.

The hostels I saw have the biggest problems with alcohol are those where the staff either leaves altogether at night or otherwise makes themselves invisible. If you ban it on your property what's to stop someone from drinking too much at a place like Bobo's and then finishing the night with a couple gas station beers consumed elsewhere in town? May curtail the issue a little but I doubt it'll mean you never deal with another drunk hiker again.

Quote Originally Posted by mattjv89 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand voting for what is "an issue" to me at hostels, I checked friendly hopefully that was correct. Anyway I'm a big fan of the "don't be an idiot" policy when it comes to alcohol. It is nice to enjoy a cold tallboy on a hot summer night at alcohol,
    *hot summer night at a hostel

If you don't allow alcohol you'll likely loose some customers
    if you allow alcohol you'll likel loose less than some customers.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++