WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: 2012'ers?

Images

Question 2012'ers?

Hey All!

I've been interested in thru-hiking the AT for several years, but didn't start seriously considering it until a few months ago. I would like to start about mid-March of 2012.

My family doesn't think it is a good idea, mainly because I would be going alone, and also the fact that I am still on the heavy side. I have lost about 70 pounds, which puts me about halfway to my goal weight. I intend to spend the next year training for the AT.

Do y'all think this is possible, or just a silly dream?

Not a silly dream--no matter your weight or age. Pre-hike training is a good idea. The 2,180+ mile distance is daunting and the difficulty should not be underestimated but if you want it badly enough and have a bit of a stubborn streak to succeed, it is very do-able. Good luck and happy hiking!

West Columbia, South Carolina, United States
    Images

It is not silly!

I have been working towards my thru hike and I hope to go 2012. I set weight loss goals for prior practice section hikes and pre trail fitness. For every 5 pounds I lost I purchased a piece of gear/something for the trail as my reward. My goal was to lose 80 pounds total but to lose 35 (my pack weight) prior to my first section hike and I did it. I figured if I could walk around with 35 pounds on me then I could sure strap it on and go. It was a great motivator and I got through my first 5 nights on the trail and learned where I needed to focus my endurance on. I am currently at 49.5 pounds down and I have all but 2 pieces of gear that I am wanting. I have a section hike planned for March the approach to Neels gap and then 8 days June first in PA from Swatara Gap where I left off in October. How bad do I want those new trekking poles and sleeping bag ...

Find what your motivation is and remember who the hike is for... "you". I realized that if I miss my weight goals then I am still better for trying and I am happier and healthier and the trail will take the rest off and tone me up!

Sorry this seems like I rambled on... just passionate about how I have been able to keep on track and how supportive these forums are!
    Turn that frown upside down

Journal Entries

In no way is it a silly dream! I think it is noble. To enrich the spirit, to prove something to yourself - set a goal and complete it while making great memories and friends.

I am starting the first week of April 2012! Very excited, just doing the responsible thing this year getting way ahead on savings and bills so I can accomplish this dream that I have had for years.
    2012 NOBO - April start date
    Follow me here: Here, There, and Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by GlassSunrise413 View Post
    Hey All!

I've been interested in thru-hiking the AT for several years, but didn't start seriously considering it until a few months ago. I would like to start about mid-March of 2012.

My family doesn't think it is a good idea, mainly because I would be going alone, and also the fact that I am still on the heavy side. I have lost about 70 pounds, which puts me about halfway to my goal weight. I intend to spend the next year training for the AT.

Do y'all think this is possible, or just a silly dream?
    Like most goals in life, you will get out of them what you put into them. In other words, if you continue to doubt your ability to achieve your goals and dreams, and give up on them prematurely, then they will almost assuredly remain elusive. But if you approach your goals and dreams realistically and believe in them and yourself, no matter what other's say or think, then there is a great chance you will set out to do what you want to do. To constantly doubt and second guess yourself is to set yourself up to fail. Believe in yourself. Educate yourself about the AT and what will be required in order to successfully hike either part or all of it. Understand from the get-go that it will not be easy. However many have successfully done it so obviousely it is not impossible either. Make sure you are in good health, and then once you are ready, go and do it. Good Luck

I, too, join the ranks of those applauding you for your goal and accomplishment. Just remember that your changes must be for life, especially after your thru hike. Whatever you are doing to get into your desired condition, you must be able to continue forever, or it won't work. That's why most diets and excercise plans fail. Find a plan that you can maintain and you will reap the benefits. Don't concern yourself with what family members say about your goal. All of my relatives still think that I'm crazy. Good luck to you and I sincerely hope that you achieve all that you wish.

litefoot 2000

Images

Go for it! See you in 2012!
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by litefoot 2000 View Post
    I, too, join the ranks of those applauding you for your goal and accomplishment. Just remember that your changes must be for life, especially after your thru hike. Whatever you are doing to get into your desired condition, you must be able to continue forever, or it won't work. That's why most diets and excercise plans fail. Find a plan that you can maintain and you will reap the benefits. Don't concern yourself with what family members say about your goal. All of my relatives still think that I'm crazy. Good luck to you and I sincerely hope that you achieve all that you wish.

litefoot 2000
    Very good advice! People fail at dieting and exercise because they view themselves as being deprived and/or having to work too hard at something. This turns into deprivation/exasperation and then into resentment and ultimately giving up. It doesn't have to be that way. Learn to eat correctly and you will be able to maintain a decent weight and still be able to eat alot and consume many foods that you will enjoy. Incorporate exercise into your life by doing things you enjoy doing, such as long hikes outdoors. The key is never feeling deprived. Make your dieting and exercising fun and like a job you love you will never have to work at it another day of your life

Journal Entries

Just how fat are you anyway?
    Enquiring minds need to know!!

Journal Entries

Ok, just kidding
    I was 250 when I left.
    By the time I reached Pennsylvania I was down to 195!!
    And I ate like a horse, 'snickers' till the cows came home..
    Just do it
    Best of luck

Go for it, you might only get one chance so take it. Looks like 2012 is my year to thru too, see you out there.

I am aiming for 2012 as well.
    Virginia!
    NOBO 2012!

++ New Posts ++