WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late March start - lighterpack shakedown.

Hello! I'm looking for input on my gear list for a late March start (specifically my clothing system).

Some thoughts:
    I've hiked in ~40 deg weather with this clothing system but not freezing rain/snow. Is it safe to hike in my sleeping clothes if it's super cold? Should I add a layer between the t-shirt and R1?

Should I add wind pants/rain pants instead of the DIY Kilt?

Do I need rain mittens and/or liner gloves? Can I just use my extra socks as gloves if things get bad?

The external battery is heavy and I'm not sure if I will need it. I will be using my phone for pictures, podcasts and music. It will stay in airplane mode probably 80% of the time.

Not sure if I need the tyvek. I'm not really worried about my tent, but I may want it to protect my pad in the shelters/cowboy camping.

Anywhere else I can save on weight? Any advice is super appreciated. Thanks!

https://lighterpack.com/r/bacf5h

Leonidas

What do you do when your sleep clothes get wet, it is cold and now you have no dry sleep clothes? Just something to think about.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    What do you do when your sleep clothes get wet, it is cold and now you have no dry sleep clothes? Just something to think about.
    Put my puffy jacket on without a shirt underneath and get in my quilt.

Looking good! Couple of thoughts:
    You definitely don't need the Anker 13000 at half a pound. Go for the Astro mini at 2 oz.
    And then you also have "power brick and cables" at 2.5 oz too?
    I would recommend a pair of liner gloves.
    The thermal weight top and bottoms for sleeping will be a little hot, I feel. (Counter-intuitively, Patagonia's cap 3 is heavier than the 4 though) I'm not sure why the other poster asked about your sleep clothes getting wet. They shouldn't. Zpacks makes nice roll-top bags if you're worried about that.
    You don't need the groundsheet.
    I'm not a kilt person myself, so I don't know why you cut down your rain pants. I would prefer something that works as a wind layer for my legs.

Hope this helps
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Quote Originally Posted by TN James View Post
    Put my puffy jacket on without a shirt underneath and get in my quilt.
    Seems unnecessary to skimp on weight that much. Just bring a light base layer that you keep dry

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Marcovee View Post
    Looking good! Couple of thoughts:
    You definitely don't need the Anker 13000 at half a pound. Go for the Astro mini at 2 oz.
    And then you also have "power brick and cables" at 2.5 oz too?
    I would recommend a pair of liner gloves.
    The thermal weight top and bottoms for sleeping will be a little hot, I feel. (Counter-intuitively, Patagonia's cap 3 is heavier than the 4 though) I'm not sure why the other poster asked about your sleep clothes getting wet. They shouldn't. Zpacks makes nice roll-top bags if you're worried about that.
    You don't need the groundsheet.
    I'm not a kilt person myself, so I don't know why you cut down your rain pants. I would prefer something that works as a wind layer for my legs.

Hope this helps
    I mentioned it because he asked if it was ok to hike in his sleeping clothes. Put a what-if scenario out there.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Two items I never carry: Pack cover and groundsheet, A pack liner will suffice and the Notch has no need for a groundsheet. My clothing is similar, but I use a long sleeve lightweight baselayer and a Pat thermal hoody to hike in if cold. I found the R1 too hot even early in April. Rain kilts are great to hike in most of the time, but you may hit snow or cold rain so lightweight wind or rain pants might be a good thing. Some of the ridges can be pretty cold and windy. That charger is pretty heavy. Light gloves and rain mitts are a must for me. I also recommend a pair of warm sleep socks. Overall you list looks pretty good!

Journal Entries

If you are willing to go stoveless you can shave some weight. Switch you tyvek groundsheet for a polycro ground sheet will shave a couple ounces. Might need to replace once or twice but a lighter option. I normally just sleep in my clothes I hiked in and if its cold just put my fleece or puffy on depending on which I carry. I hike super minimal though so this is just my opinion. But your list isn't bad happy hiking!

i'd consider dropping the crocs. altras have the nice wide footbed and shouldn't be too uncomfortable in camp if you loosen them up a bit. depends on your comfort level. 13oz is a big weight cut with 1 item. do you want to spend any money to replace anything? i just traded out my 14oz down jacket for a 6.4oz Montbell EX Light Down Anorak. Cost was 219$. Not sure if that is worth it to you, but those 2 suggestions save 20oz, on top of the pack cover and ground sheet suggestions above, closer to 28oz savings. Trade out the battery pack for the Anker 10000mAh that comes in at 6.2oz for 2 more ounce saving at a 36$ cost, and get a sawyer squeeze mini to replace the normal one, and save another 1.3oz. use the smart water bottle that comes with a squeeze top to replace your backfill syringe. add all those things up and you've shaved just short of 2 pounds, if my head math is correct. come warmer times, you can shed your sleepwear and get below 10lbs base weight! nice setup overall. cya out there!

++ New Posts ++