WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

GAME 06

Default Catnip Repels Mosquitoes More Effectively Than DEET

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0828075659.htm

Hmm .... the only immediate downside I can see to this is the now much more cuddly mountain lions

Thx.
    Ever notice these tests make one to one repllency product comparisons? It makes for fair comparisons but in the reAL world often a multi layered or multiple product repellency approach can be employed having a total MUCH greater repellent efficacy.

Another controlling parameter of these studies is the repellency duration. If one is for example willing to apply some products more frequently they also hAve demonstrated efficacy ...just not for as long a duration.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Hmm .... the only immediate downside I can see to this is the now much more cuddly mountain lions
    That was immediate thought upon seeing the thread title!!!

It's a good thing it's not April 1st....

Images

I have a lot of catnip growing in my yard, how can I extract the essential oil from the plants, what's the process?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I have a lot of catnip growing in my yard, how can I extract the essential oil from the plants, what's the process?
    We used to use isomers to extract oils from...things.

Looking at the photos should give a handy person like yourself some ideas.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Thai-Power-Iso....c100408.m2460

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Looking at the photos should give a handy person like yourself some ideas.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Thai-Power-Iso....c100408.m2460
    Thanks for the link and ideas.
    I was reading how to use a pressure cooker made into a still for removing the oils.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    That was immediate thought upon seeing the thread title!!!
    Same here. I just kept thinking of all the mint toothpaste that bears love so much.

Images

Wow, that oil is expensive. I'll have to do research on how skin reacts to it. It may have to be reduced with olive oil. Thanks for the links :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Wow, that oil is expensive. I'll have to do research on how skin reacts to it. It may have to be reduced with olive oil. Thanks for the links :-)
    I'd do some more research identifying the exact extract as it may nor simply be essential catnip oil the tests were linked. I'd also identify the exact horticultural genus, species, and cv used in the tests as several plants in the mint family are referred commonly to catnip. If I had to guess the tests used Nepeta genus.

Yes, essential oils can have unwanted consequences as well especilly when undiluted. Almond oil is another good carrier to dilute pure essential oils. I've never used catnip essential oil but ive seen it sold in aromatherapy, herbalist shops, and at larger Indian stores who also have large cone or stick incense areas.

Fun fact #231
    the mint family has square stalks

Images

I'll do some further research on the studies done here: https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0828075659.htm

A nice mint family flower/plant is the Wild Bergamont. It was used by native Americans as a body deodorant. Last year I showed a fellow camper where to pick a batch of the seed heads for it's fragrance. He said he picked too much, couldn't get the smell of his hands for days LOL

wild bergamont.JPG

There is a lot of natural remedies to get rid of mosquitoes. Herbal and citrus sprays repel them well. Those insects cand stand the scent of vanilla also. Basil, peppermint, lemon balm, wormwood, and tansy can be used for that purpose too. Here are some other hacks on how to get rid of bloodsuckers. Hope it will come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by QuickStanley View Post
    There is a lot of natural remedies to get rid of mosquitoes. Herbal and citrus sprays repel them well. Those insects cand stand the scent of vanilla also. Basil, peppermint, lemon balm, wormwood, and tansy can be used for that purpose too. Here are some other hacks on how to get rid of bloodsuckers. Hope it will come in handy.
    Problem is, it's just not mosquitoes which are a problem---but gnats and noseeums and black flies Oh and did I mention noseeums?

I tried every herbal ointment made by Man---you name it I've taken it out---even took out Avon's skin so soft a couple times. And loads of Picardin---along with citronella oil and neem oil and catnip and peppermint oil and tea tree oil and cedar oil and lemongrass and eucalyptus oil ETC. Nothing worked until I returned to DEET. Hate to say it.

But I do burn sticks of citronella incense in my tent vestibule when I'm in camp---I get it off amazon---It seems to dispel the little beasts---

Citronella-Incense-Sticks.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Problem is, it's just not mosquitoes which are a problem---but gnats and noseeums and black flies Oh and did I mention noseeums?

I tried every herbal ointment made by Man---you name it I've taken it out---even took out Avon's skin so soft a couple times. And loads of Picardin---along with citronella oil and neem oil and catnip and peppermint oil and tea tree oil and cedar oil and lemongrass and eucalyptus oil ETC. Nothing worked until I returned to DEET. Hate to say it.

But I do burn sticks of citronella incense in my tent vestibule when I'm in camp---I get it off amazon---It seems to dispel the little beasts---

Citronella-Incense-Sticks.jpg
    Unfortunately, DEET doesn't work for black flies. I carried 98% DEET spray while thru hiking the PNT last year. While it was a godsend around mosquito infested areas in Montana and Washington, it did nothing to repel the black flies. In fact, I think it may have even attracted them. Black flies seem to think DEET is just a marinade for human flesh.

++ New Posts ++